ForumsForum GamesThe Dragon's Gold (Dungeon Crawler)

355 73111
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

so i was thinking yesterday that although my game take the castle is working as i would like, it is boring. although it keeps me busy with lots of things i must pay attention to, the players say "i raid" and sometimes "i buy 1 heavy infantry unit." so i have devised a new dungeon crawler game that i think any active forum participator will like. here is the intro- (this is a mid-evil era game)

One day, as you are sitting in your cottage, you hear a knock on your door. you go to answer it. standing there is a man in long purple cloaks (keep in mind that is the sign of royalty). you cannot see his face or any part of his body, as the cloak covers it all. he seems...friendly-ish, but before you can say anything he begins.
"Hello! my name is sir Acrobis of the Deminin family. i am here because i am looking for brave adventurers to help me forfill a quest...a very dangerous one. have you ever heard of the legendary dragon's gold?" you think for a moment, but you do not recall of it. "well legend has it that in a town very close to here a dragon has millions of pounds of gols stashed away in an underground safe...and i am trying to assemble a team to recover it. everyone participating splits the loot. Do you accept?" you say of course, beacuse you wont turn an offer like this one down. however, the following events are foggy.

Character Sheet:

Name:
visual description: (this will actually become important)
Bio: (can be blank. doesn't matter, but its a good idea anyway)
class: (below, pick one)
alignment: neutral (influenced by most everything)
------------
level: 1
XP: 0/10
health: 100/100
stats: ( base stats will be based on class, armor will factor in)
Strength:
Endurance:
Melee:
Ranged:
Magica: (the form of magic in this game)
------------
inventory: 1 rock, 2 health potions, 10 feet rope
party: N/A

take out everything in parenthesis

Rules:
1. i am the only one who determines outcomes of anything. you NEVER will say "i decapitate xyz monster and then run down a hall." instead, "i attempt to decaptiate xyz monster." big difference.
2. If/when you become in a party, battling will be different. i havent worked this out yet, but i can tell you this, if your not posting every 2 days, you may be subject to be taken out temporarily to permanently
3. godmodding is strictly forbidden
4. if you die, you are done. you may restart, but EVERYTHING you had will be destroyed.
5. arguing will NOT be tolerated

Notes:
1. observe EVERYTHING. one of the major functions in this game will be to observe the room. if you enter a room i will give you obvious things, but most everything important or even special you will have to take a turn and observe for.
2. every peice of armor will have stats, rarity, and resell value, because there will be AI vendors in this game
3. everyone is on the same map. i cannot stress this enough because its very important. i will sketch the map, and is possible to go into a room that has already been explored
4. enemies will, for the most part, scale to your level. but in some instances they may not. bosses will not present themselves to you obviously, and if your very weak i may say "dont not go in there unless you plan on dieing."
5. PvP is going to happen, unless you want to baby through the game and never hurt a soul.
6. everything you do in this game will factor towards your alignment. i will tell you what you are and inform you of changes.
7. XP will be gained by killing monsters. PvP kills will be worth TONS. leveling up increases base stats. i will tell you when you gain XP
8. I will always update your CS (character sheet), not you. there is a format i want it in, and it will be that way.

Classes:
(each class will get a weapon they start with, and different stats)
Knight:
starter weapon: short iron sword (+1 strength, +2 melee)
starting stats:
Strength: 5
Endurance: 5
Melee: 5
Ranged: 1
Magica: 0

archer:
starting weapon: short wooden bow (+1 strength, +2 ranged)
starter stats:
Strength: 2
Endurance: 2
Melee: 0
Ranged: 5
Magica: 1

Mage:
starter weapon: crude wooden staff (+5 magica)
starter stats:
Strength: 0
Ranged: 3
Magica: 5

it is important that you copy the stats that you get from you class onto your character sheet. then put your weapon in your inventory.

I hope you guys have fun with this! i will begin drawing the map on the 1st post.

• 355 Replies
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

MAJOR PROBLEM:
i forgot to add gold to the CS. i will update it.

Name:
visual description: (this will actually become important)
Bio: (can be blank. doesn't matter, but its a good idea anyway)
class: (below, pick one)
Gold: 0
------------
Strength:
Endurance:
Melee:
Ranged:
------------

jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

I have a couple questions.

1.Am I allowed to say 'I attempt to decapitate the xyz monster. If I suceed, I run down the hall. If I fail and live, I try to decapitate the xyz monster again.

2.When you say godmodding, do you mean not controlling other players or do you mean not turning yourself into a god-like character in power.

3. When you implied the person with the purple robe is royalty, did you mean nobilty? Because if you meant royalty, that would mean the man was either the king, the king's son, the king's daughter disguised as a man, the king's wife disguised as a man, or a man or woman impersonating one of the thing's I've listed above. And it's pretty serious if the quest we've recieved was from one of the things I've listed above.

4. Since alignment is influenced by most everything, it would probaly be better represented by a number. Like 0 is completely neutral, 1 is pretty neutral but your more inclined to do the right thing, 100 is that your an amazingly nice person who almost always does the right thing, with 200 as you'll be remembered as a saint in history books. Then the ranking system for evil but the - symbol is in front of the number.

Anyways, heres my character sheet:
Name: David Jones
visual description: Black hair, tall and skinny, brown eyes, white skin, black robe(If I'm allowed this. I don't know what counts as armor), black leather shoes.
Bio: Comes from a farming family, he had been born with a strong connection with magica. He had mostly used it so far for accelerating the growth of plants, but when the man came he saw new oppurtunities for his powers. His parents, realising the potential which could come out of this, bought him a black robe.
class: Mage
alignment: neutral
------------
stats:
Strength:
Endurance:2
Melee:
Ranged:3
Magica: 5
------------
inventory: 1 rock, 2 health potions, 10 feet rope, crude wooden staff.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

its always jarray

Am I allowed to say 'I attempt to decapitate the xyz monster. If I suceed, I run down the hall. If I fail and live, I try to decapitate the xyz monster again.

If you suceed you probably wouldnt want to do that because you could sill loot the monster. however if you were to say, like, "i attempt to decapitate xyz monster. if that works, i loot him, then try to run down the hall, that would be ok, but you would still need to confirm what loot you were taking from xyz on your next post.

When you say godmodding, do you mean not controlling other players or do you mean not turning yourself into a god-like character in power.

both

When you implied the person with the purple robe is royalty, did you mean nobilty? Because if you meant royalty, that would mean the man was either the king, the king's son, the king's daughter disguised as a man, the king's wife disguised as a man, or a man or woman impersonating one of the thing's I've listed above. And it's pretty serious if the quest we've recieved was from one of the things I've listed above.

it was implied for you to take it more like someone with high importance. as of right now this guy is irrelevant but in the story he will play a significant part. im not going to tell you who he is.

Since alignment is influenced by most everything, it would probaly be better represented by a number. Like 0 is completely neutral, 1 is pretty neutral but your more inclined to do the right thing, 100 is that your an amazingly nice person who almost always does the right thing, with 200 as you'll be remembered as a saint in history books. Then the ranking system for evil but the - symbol is in front of the number.

your going to have your alignment, then a number + or -. however if you know anything about alignment its divided into sections as follows:
heroic good:
a saint. you never do the wrong thing, and always help for the cause of good.
neutral good:
you are good and help when you can, but this is more "when you can" then "always"
chaotic good:
this is the good of good that has people wondering. its like trying to be good in the most evil way possible, like stabbing someone in the back then giving him a health potion. 9/10 this is not the kind of person you will be.
neutral:
you do anything you want that fits into your needs at the time. about 50% of the time you will probably fall into this category
heroic evil:
this is the kind of person that saves the day the evil way. it would be like doing an evil action, but justified by its reaction in a good way.
neutral evil:
this is just evil. your plainly not a nice guy. you rob, steal, kill AI, ect.
chaotic evil:
this is the archnemisis of your favorite show. its like someone who would betray his/her party and kill them all off, then kill the bos and take everything. its truly evil.

visual description: Black hair, tall and skinny, brown eyes, white skin, black robe, black leather shoes.
Bio: Comes from a farming family, he had been born with a strong connection with magica. He had mostly used it so far for accelerating the growth of plants, but when the man came he saw new oppurtunities for his powers. His parents, realising the potential which could come out of this, bought him a black robe.
------------
stats:
Magica: 10
------------

your shoes are fine.
and your starting scenario:

you gain consciousness. you have no idea how long you were out, you just know that you were. you are currently in a room with your ankle chained to a large iron ball, prison style. you see a staff opposite of you in the room, and you assume its yours, yet your not going anywhere.you sitting on some straw like an animal. next to a small door is a guard. you have never seen anything like this-its a skeleton with armor on, standing next to the door. he is very still. he has a short sword in his right hand, and a helmet on but nothing else. he looks over at you when he realizes your moving, but pays no attention. you can stand, but its more comfortable sitting.

i strongly suggest you observe (but you may not find anything).
jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

How does magic work? I really have no idea if I only have enough pwer to levitate a cherry, or enough power to levitate a large stone then through it at someone with enough force to kill them.

visual description: Black hair, tall and skinny, brown eyes, white skin, black robe, black leather shoes.
------------
stats:
------------

I observe the room. I shout at the guard to release me or I'll use my great power to slowly disconnect his bones and then place each one in a different corner of the earth.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

How does magic work? I really have no idea if I only have enough pwer to levitate a cherry, or enough power to levitate a large stone then through it at someone with enough force to kill them.

i think whats gonna happen us somewhere along the lines of this: your staff is really whats gonna help you in power, and when you level up I think i will let you choose new spells to learn. at the moment, you dont have any forms of levitation. im gonna start you off with the ability to shoot small fireballs, but magic fires do not last so its more like "i shoot his head with a fireball" more then it is "i disintegrate him with a fireball." im gonna add a spells section to your CS for now. however you cannot to magic without your staff unless its hand magic which you dont have any of yet. when you level up i will have more on that. you can also find tomes around the game which will take form in writting (many different forms of writting) and will give you that power immediately.

------------
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

through careful observation (being a mage you get bonuses in this), you realize their is on the ground next to you. its proped up against the wall and you cant tell what it is, but it looks like a large book. you can tell it weighs about 20 pounds, and its in your reach. nothing else in the room is of interest, besides your staff.

"Release me or I'll use my great power to slowly disconnect his bones and then place each one in a different corner of the earth!" you tell the gaurd, and he then looks at you unbelievably. all he says is "what a load of garbage." and continues to stand perfectly still.
rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

Name: Archene De'Night
visual description: Brown hair, green eyes, and stands at 5"11.
Bio: Bored with normal life, decides to go dungeon exploring! Is a hunter, so he knows how to use a bow.
class: Archer
------------
Strength:
Endurance:
Melee:
Ranged:
------------

jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

------------
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

I ask the skeleton how he speaks without vocal cords, and, theoritcally, how many fire balls it would take to defeat him.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

Bio: Bored with normal life, decides to go dungeon exploring! Is a hunter, so he knows how to use a bow.
gold: 0
------------
stats:
------------
inventory: 1 rock, 2 health potions, 10 feet rope, short wooden bow

Your vision is blurred, but quickly snaps back into focus. it appears something is trying to talk to you. its a human with crude iron armor and a sword. you believe he just slapped you in the face.
"Im trying to talk to you, maggot!" he yells. "i asked you, where are you from!"

he is standing in front of you getting ready to hit you again. your ankles and wrists are chained loosely to the wall, and this man looks angry. you look around quickly to see your bow with 5 arrows in its quiver in the corner next to you, but you see nothing else in the room. your inventory is near the door.

------------
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

you yell that to him, and he responds with,
"its dark magic, not like its any of your concerns. fireballs...im not going to give you my weaknesses, you scoundrel."

if your really stuck on something i will eventually give you hints, but you will get to the point where you must find your way out of the situation. thinking creatively is really what builds this game. btw, i spawned rychus and jarray at about opposite sides of the 1st floor.

rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

------------
stats:
------------

"I'm from..." I stutter, for some reason I don't know where I am from! "I don't know. Why am I here?"

jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

------------
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

I pick up the book and start reading it. When I'm done, or when the skeleton guard asks me to stop, I ask the skeleton guard why I'm locked up. I also asked him if he enjoys talking with people.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

------------
stats:
------------

the man backs away. "useless peasent, your here for unknown reasons. Lord Teser has found you and ordered us to bring you here."

you could have made an observation there. or any action for that matter, talking is only half of your action.

------------
XP: 1/10
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)
fire whisp (lvl1, hand magic)

the book was a tome! you obtain the spell fire whisp level 1, which is a hand magic. keep in mind you dont have to keep a tome to keep the power, so you can do anything with the book. you gain 1xp for reading the tome. keep in mind hand magic can be done without your staff/wand equipped.

"your locked up because the Lord Teser has told us to take you away." he doesnt respond to the 2nd question.

jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

------------
XP: 1/10
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

I shoot fire whisps at the skeleton guard. If I'm not able to hit him, then I wait for him to come closer and shoot more firewhisps at him. If he doesn't come closer, then I start shooting firewhisps at the link closest to the iron ball in the chain attached to my ankle. When it heats up enough, then I try to kick the ball and make it detache from my ankle.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

------------
XP: 4/10
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

you engulf the gaurd in a rush of fire, then melt the chains and kick the ball off. your now free to move, grab your inventory, and free of danger. this gives you 3 XP.

jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

------------
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

I leave the if it is still usable, I put on the skeleton's helmet. I then leave the room and observe the place that I enter.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

------------
stats:
Strength: 5 (+5 from helmet)
Magica: 15 (+5 from staff)
------------
inventory: 1 rock, 2 health potions, 10 feet rope, crude wooden staff (equipped, starter), iron helmet (equipped, common)
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

I leave the if it is still usable, I put on the skeleton's helmet. I then leave the room and observe the place that I enter.

im not sure what 'the' is. but im going with what you said.

you walk out of the room, into a small hallway. the hallway is 100% rock and stone, nothing but 2 torches are on the wall. the hallway only goes straight, into another room. (you should observe).
Showing 1-15 of 355