ForumsForum GamesThe Dragon's Gold (Dungeon Crawler)

355 73228
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

so i was thinking yesterday that although my game take the castle is working as i would like, it is boring. although it keeps me busy with lots of things i must pay attention to, the players say "i raid" and sometimes "i buy 1 heavy infantry unit." so i have devised a new dungeon crawler game that i think any active forum participator will like. here is the intro- (this is a mid-evil era game)

One day, as you are sitting in your cottage, you hear a knock on your door. you go to answer it. standing there is a man in long purple cloaks (keep in mind that is the sign of royalty). you cannot see his face or any part of his body, as the cloak covers it all. he seems...friendly-ish, but before you can say anything he begins.
"Hello! my name is sir Acrobis of the Deminin family. i am here because i am looking for brave adventurers to help me forfill a quest...a very dangerous one. have you ever heard of the legendary dragon's gold?" you think for a moment, but you do not recall of it. "well legend has it that in a town very close to here a dragon has millions of pounds of gols stashed away in an underground safe...and i am trying to assemble a team to recover it. everyone participating splits the loot. Do you accept?" you say of course, beacuse you wont turn an offer like this one down. however, the following events are foggy.

Character Sheet:

Name:
visual description: (this will actually become important)
Bio: (can be blank. doesn't matter, but its a good idea anyway)
class: (below, pick one)
alignment: neutral (influenced by most everything)
------------
level: 1
XP: 0/10
health: 100/100
stats: ( base stats will be based on class, armor will factor in)
Strength:
Endurance:
Melee:
Ranged:
Magica: (the form of magic in this game)
------------
inventory: 1 rock, 2 health potions, 10 feet rope
party: N/A

take out everything in parenthesis

Rules:
1. i am the only one who determines outcomes of anything. you NEVER will say "i decapitate xyz monster and then run down a hall." instead, "i attempt to decaptiate xyz monster." big difference.
2. If/when you become in a party, battling will be different. i havent worked this out yet, but i can tell you this, if your not posting every 2 days, you may be subject to be taken out temporarily to permanently
3. godmodding is strictly forbidden
4. if you die, you are done. you may restart, but EVERYTHING you had will be destroyed.
5. arguing will NOT be tolerated

Notes:
1. observe EVERYTHING. one of the major functions in this game will be to observe the room. if you enter a room i will give you obvious things, but most everything important or even special you will have to take a turn and observe for.
2. every peice of armor will have stats, rarity, and resell value, because there will be AI vendors in this game
3. everyone is on the same map. i cannot stress this enough because its very important. i will sketch the map, and is possible to go into a room that has already been explored
4. enemies will, for the most part, scale to your level. but in some instances they may not. bosses will not present themselves to you obviously, and if your very weak i may say "dont not go in there unless you plan on dieing."
5. PvP is going to happen, unless you want to baby through the game and never hurt a soul.
6. everything you do in this game will factor towards your alignment. i will tell you what you are and inform you of changes.
7. XP will be gained by killing monsters. PvP kills will be worth TONS. leveling up increases base stats. i will tell you when you gain XP
8. I will always update your CS (character sheet), not you. there is a format i want it in, and it will be that way.

Classes:
(each class will get a weapon they start with, and different stats)
Knight:
starter weapon: short iron sword (+1 strength, +2 melee)
starting stats:
Strength: 5
Endurance: 5
Melee: 5
Ranged: 1
Magica: 0

archer:
starting weapon: short wooden bow (+1 strength, +2 ranged)
starter stats:
Strength: 2
Endurance: 2
Melee: 0
Ranged: 5
Magica: 1

Mage:
starter weapon: crude wooden staff (+5 magica)
starter stats:
Strength: 0
Ranged: 3
Magica: 5

it is important that you copy the stats that you get from you class onto your character sheet. then put your weapon in your inventory.

I hope you guys have fun with this! i will begin drawing the map on the 1st post.

• 355 Replies
jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

Name: David Jones
visual description: Black hair, tall and skinny, brown eyes, white skin, black robe, black leather shoes.
Bio: Comes from a farming family, he had been born with a strong connection with magica. He had mostly used it so far for accelerating the growth of plants, but when the man came he saw new oppurtunities for his powers. His parents, realising the potential which could come out of this, bought him a black robe.
class: Mage
alignment: neutral
Gold: 0
------------
XP: 4/10
stats:
Strength: 5 (+5 from helmet)
Endurance:2
Ranged:3
Magica: 15 (+5 from staff)
------------
inventory: 1 rock, 2 health potions, 10 feet rope, crude wooden staff (equipped, starter), iron helmet (equipped, common), torch (lit),
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)
fire whisp (lvl1, hand magic)

I go to whatever's growling and demand that it kneel before me. If it doesn't, I blast it with fireballs.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

visual description: Black hair, tall and skinny, brown eyes, white skin, black robe, black leather shoes.
Bio: Comes from a farming family, he had been born with a strong connection with magica. He had mostly used it so far for accelerating the growth of plants, but when the man came he saw new oppurtunities for his powers. His parents, realising the potential which could come out of this, bought him a black robe.
------------
XP: 4/10
health: 90/100
stats:
------------
inventory: 1 rock, 2 health potions, 10 feet rope, crude wooden staff (equipped, starter), iron helmet (equipped, common), torch (lit),
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

that was a little hasty, considering you cant see it and you have no idea if its humanoid or just a dog...so im gonna play that a little differently (but it will work out about the same)

you walk towards the growling thing, and say, "I demand you kneel before me!" with that, a wolf jumps out of the shadows and grabs hold of your arm. you flail to throw the wolf off you and succeed, and it has tore open a small part of your arm. (it doesnt have rabies) its now rearing for another charge. your arm hurts, but its not bad. little bleeding is occuring.
-10 HP

combat, in this game, is meant to be a challenge, and it will be. you cannot just say "i engulf it with fire until it burns to a crisp," because realistically that may or may not be able to happen. combat, even against this simple wolf, will be designed to test you weather you like that or not.

you must initiate in combat before attacking, and it will likely play out the way this did.

jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

Why couldn't I burn it to a crisp realistically? It bites me in the arm, I shoot a dozen fireballs at it. I don't understand why it didn't just play out like that, and why I must say 'I iniate combat' which wastes a portion of a turn and gives my enemy an advantage.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

------------
XP: 6/10
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

Why couldn't I burn it to a crisp realistically? It bites me in the arm, I shoot a dozen fireballs at it. I don't understand why it didn't just play out like that, and why I must say 'I iniate combat' which wastes a portion of a turn and gives my enemy an advantage.

you dont have to say i initiate combat, but you also cant just start spamming fireballs at it. you couldnt even see it, much less did you know what it was. in reality, that would mean you cant shoot anything at it.

but now that its off of you, you shoot a fireball at it and it burns away until it disintegrates.
2 Xp.

ahead of you the corridor continues. i suggest you loot the wolf. realistically, the wolf would have nothing of interest, but in this game any enemy could have something valuable, much like skyrim's loot system.
jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

------------
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

I loot the wolf. I then continue down the corridor.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

alignment: neutral good
Gold: 50
------------
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

you find 50 gold. im shifting your alignment to neutral good, if you object tell me.

you continue down the corridor until it ends, nothing interesting is on the way. there is a sharp left, and in the distance you hear music.

its an accordion. you can tell by the tone its producing. whatever it is, you believe its humanoid to be playing an accordion. its playing the song of storms from zelda; the ocarana of time. if you dont what that is, you can look it up, or not care. if you know it great. the noise isnt moving at all, seems stationary.

jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

------------
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

I observe. If there wasn't anything to observe, I continue down the hallway.

rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

Name: Archene De'Night
visual description: Brown hair, green eyes, and stands at 5"11.
Bio: Bored with normal life, decides to go dungeon exploring! Is a hunter, so he knows how to use a bow.
class: Archer
gold: 0
------------
stats:
Ranged: 5
------------
inventory: 1 rock, 2 health potions, 10 feet rope, short wooden bow

*Sorry I'm Late!*

I take the chance and attempt to get out of the shackles, and escape.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

------------
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

you turn the hall, to see the man playing the accordion. the man has a giant smile on his face, and looks jolly. you believe it could be a well conceived trap, but your unsure. behind him there is a stand made of fine ribbon with items on a table.

Bio: Bored with normal life, decides to go dungeon exploring! Is a hunter, so he knows how to use a bow.
------------
stats:
Melee: 0 (+3 from arrows)
Ranged: 5 (+5 from bow)
------------
inventory: 1 rock, 2 health potions, 10 feet rope, short wooden bow + quiver (10 arrows [max 30], equipped)

*Sorry I'm Late!*

welcome back

you didnt even grab your inventory. what kinda RPG player are you to leave a good bow and quiver on the floor? but i will allow you to continue on. you grab your inventory, and equip the quiver.

1st things 1st, you should know that you have a quiver, and with that a fleeting amount of arrows. you dont have an infinite number of them, you have 10. lose them all, your **** out'a luck. you can retrieve fired ones, but only if they are in good enough condition. you can also buy more once you reach a shop. the quiver has a max though. note that if you lose your quiver you lose your arrows, and if you lose the bow thats even worse.

you slip out of the shackles, then take the cell key on the floor and unlock yourself. once outside, you see that you can only go right, so that must be the way your jailer went. you have no other options.

i dont know if this is clear, but there are shops in this game, and gold is important.
rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

------------
stats:
------------
inventory: 1 rock, 2 health potions, 10 feet rope, short wooden bow + quiver (10 arrows [max 30], equipped)

I'll head right and keep an arrow notched just in case I run into a guard or worse.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

------------
stats:
------------

you see a light in the near distance, which is probably the guard coming back from whatever he was doing. he doesnt see you yet, but you see him. he is slightly out of range, but you line your arrow up with his head anyway. he is wearing no armor.

jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

------------
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

I ask him where he got his accordion, if I could get one, and if he could give me lessons. I also ask for his name.

rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

------------
stats:
------------

I attempt to take out the guard. If I succeed, I continue.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

------------
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

the man is about in his 40's, and says,
"im the traveling merchant my friend!" i cant offer you an accordion, but i can offer you some goods in exchange of gold or vise/versa. i sell many items, but i am not believing you can afford any of them. since i travel, i roam around floors 1-5 and lucky travelers can find me for quick arrows, potions, or gold. i do not go past floor 5, beyond their my brother, the traveling salesman, lives. he sells better items."

this looks to be the truth, the stand is filled with many things. nothing good you can afford, but you could look at his stock or talk to him if you like. the traveling merchant will move location every 3-4 days, but if no one has found him in awhile i will move him somewhere populated. he will always be playing the accordion, and his brother will play guitar (but no one will find him for awhile). he never runs out of stock. you can also sell things to him.

------------
XP: 3/10
stats:
------------

you take aim, and hit the guard right in the face.
+3 Xp
you can loot him, dont forget, because you probably would if i didnt tell you.

as your about to move forward, you hear a voice from behind you.
"impressive shot. you will have to make much more of them to continue."
You turn around, not believing someone could be behind you. you see a knight leaning on his sword. he is in stunning spiked armor that is a pale yellow. you cannot see his face, its hidden behind his helmet. he isnt moving, he appears lifeless.

jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

------------
stats:
------------
------------
spells:
small fireball (lvl1)

*Could I teach people magic? For example, if that guy gives me a health potion I teach him how to shoot a fire whisp.*
I ask him if he has any magic related inventory, and what the prices are. I also ask him how much a healing potion costs, and how much my staff would sell for. I also ask him how he protects himself, since I was just attacked by a wolf and I probaly only escaped with my life because of my magic.

Showing 31-45 of 355