Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gender Identity

Posted Oct 7, '13 at 3:32pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,716 posts

I feel like there should be a thread about such a topic, and now there is one.

What are your thoughts on Gender Identity?
[Note: Gender =/= sex]

Posted Oct 7, '13 at 3:52pm

Avorne

Avorne

3,265 posts

I think there are too many people that conflate 'not conforming to all the socially constructed ideas about how you should act if you're a certain gender' and 'being transgendered'.

A lot of people like to be special snowflakes and it's kind of sad seeing them misappropriate legitimate struggles so they can call themselves transgendered despite experiencing no gender dysphoria whatsoever.

Posted Oct 8, '13 at 7:42pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,315 posts

Knight

Ok this is an interesting topic. But what do you mean by gender identity? Do you mean how a gender is identified by its attributes or what identities you assume when you are born to a gender?

Posted Oct 8, '13 at 8:26pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,716 posts

But what do you mean by gender identity? Do you mean how a gender is identified by its attributes or what identities you assume when you are born to a gender?

Gender Identity..how a person identifies themselves. Do they identify as a female, male, trans, agender, etc.

Posted Oct 8, '13 at 10:54pm

Sonatavarius

Sonatavarius

1,375 posts

It's a difficult topic to describe. I'll take a quick stab at an explanation and opinion... People seem to have an endogenous stereotype/opinion of what it means to be of any particular gender and how the supposed types of people in question are to act, think, interact, and be. It is my opinion that fleshing out labels of gender beyond the sexual hardware definition just makes things unnecessarily convoluted, and it serves to de-streamline the nomenclature at the interpersonal level. Sticking with the "I have _____ hardware downstairs, and I am whoever the f I wanna be regardless of it" just seems make things so much simpler... the alternative says "I have XX female genitalia, but I'm a man!"... The problem I have with that is that people don't agree on what it means to be a "man" (or the alternatives) as far as mental states are concerned ... You can name just about any mental/personality trait that doesn't inherently exclude being a woman and I can find women with those male traits who claim to be women... and vice versa.

If you're not happy with what nature dealt you, then go get a job that will pay for your reassignment surgery, OR come to terms with the fact that your problem only exists in your head and that you can in that context be whatever you want to be.

I try to view people on a person to person basis and try not to inherently bias myself based on their supposed mental gender. I couldn't care less about what you think you are... unless it's going to impact your health and I'm the one having to bring you back to health. More often than not, the more important thing is the sexual gender of the person. It dictates (ha!) more about the person and their health and how their healthcare should be pursued under normal circumstances.

One last thing. Gender = Sex and Gender =//= Sex. The world doesn't transition to using exclusively your definition just because it has become more popular in your like-minded group of people in recent times. It is still present in dictionaries, and it is the context of its usage that denotes how it is to be interpreted. I see lots of people stating that it is solely mental status like the world has been blinded to its ways for the last forever for using the word wrong. (It is YOU who has been blinded!!) AND if you'd still like to argue it, then I would say that gender should exclusively mean the sex of the person while GENDER IDENTITY should entail all of the mental garbage dealing with how people feel the different sexes should be psychologically, socially, and physically stereotyped and then how they see themselves under those views.

Posted Oct 11, '13 at 9:07pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,315 posts

Knight

Gender Identity..how a person identifies themselves. Do they identify as a female, male, trans, agender, etc.

I'd assume they would identify themselves as what who they know they are. I wouldn't call myself a female for I don't share the physical or innate attributes nor are one. I am male. Always have been, always will be.

In the case of being a Hermaphrodite I'd say that depends on how you feel. They have a choice to be who they want to be. And in that, they can chose an identity. But who they are is a Hermaphrodite, a class or gender all its own.

Posted Oct 28, '13 at 10:04pm

metalplastic

metalplastic

191 posts

Well, people always (or seem to) have an identity crisis at some point of their life...I think...although that identity crisis doesn't always seem to be about gender identity but nonetheless it's sometimes the identity that's opposite their actual gender. I got nothing against that though, but sometimes those people are just too proud or too liberate that they feel they can do whatever they want, by that I really mean WHATEVER THEY WANT...that includes going above the law at some point. Another problem I have are those gender stereotypes, "Oh you're a woman you should be like this" or "Oh you're a man you should be like this", to a certain degree it's fine like a women wear feminine clothes and men wear masculine clothes...some other stuff can go either way I think...

Posted Dec 14, '13 at 6:13am

chrystalfox

chrystalfox

21 posts

A lot of people like to be special snowflakes and it's kind of sad seeing them misappropriate legitimate struggles so they can call themselves transgendered despite experiencing no gender dysphoria whatsoever.
I just wanted to say this bit, and then get on with the topic. Not everyone who is misgendered (i.e. they were born in the wrong body) feels gender dysphoria. They accept the fact that they were born in the wrong body and cannot fight it. And even people who do experience it don't experience it all the time. It's just something that sometimes happens.

Another thing is that I don't think we should forget the parents of TG teens. For the most part, they have no idea what's going on, and are scared for their kids. I remember when I came out to my parents. My mom wanted to ignore it and let me live my own life, thank (insert deity here), but my dad was totally not okay with it. He said he didn't raise a son, and that I might as well be dead to him.

My point is that this affects everyone in your life, whether you knew it would or not. And those changes can be scary.

Posted Dec 14, '13 at 6:15am

chrystalfox

chrystalfox

21 posts

Sorry for double posting, I just wanted to point out that I ment to say "my dad said he didn't raise a daughter. Thank you

Posted Dec 15, '13 at 2:52pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,716 posts

Now that this is back..I do want to correct my OP. I recognize gender does equate sex, and what I was talking about was gender identity. My mistake.

Reply to Gender Identity

You must be logged in to post a reply!