Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Public Schools

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 10:40am

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

Public schools are just getting worse and worse.  Sometimes I feel like homeschooling would be the best answer.  Private schools are just as bad (I'm at a catholic school, but we have a jewish teacher, yarmulka and all!)  This guy really explains the dangers of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 10:41am

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

btw, sorry for the broken link, just copy and paste it, but I won't respond to any hate until next week.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 12:48pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

Sometimes I feel like homeschooling would be the best answer.

By parents or by tutors? Parent's aren't usually up to date on what they know (including technology or software programs that are common in the modern workforce [MS Word, Excel, etc]), nor are they often specialized in a field. And tutors would tend to bring the same problems described in the video.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 3:32pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,389 posts

A lil off topic..the ADHD part irks me..as he seems to imply that ADHD really isn't a thing (ADD, on the other hand...).
It especially irks me given that I have a fairly strong ADHD, but there are people that do not agree with the disorder because of the 10% mis-diagnosis rate from the '90's. Well, at least 10%.
But..this is all a matter for a different thread..

-----

In terms of education, I think the Nordic/Scandinavian people have it right.

I must be honest, I'm a bit surprised with you, Declan. A bit of a liberal route you are taking here, eh?

Private schools are just as bad (I'm at a catholic school, but we have a jewish teacher, yarmulka and all!

...oh no?

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 4:17pm

xeano321

xeano321

2,561 posts

Knight

By parents or by tutors? Parent's aren't usually up to date on what they know (including technology or software programs that are common in the modern workforce [MS Word, Excel, etc])

Ummm... What happened to history, algebra, english, grammar, geography? Seems to me that those are more important then Excel.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 5:48pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

What happened to history, algebra, english, grammar, geography? Seems to me that those are more important then Excel.

That was the "nor are they often specialized in a field" part.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 6:04pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Not gonna watch the video because I'm a rebel. Seriously, though, providing a single video for something as broad as this seems a little thin. I'd rather not constrain myself to the content shown, whatever it may be.

Public schools are just getting worse and worse.

Why? Don't regurgitate the stuff you saw in the video.

Why? You need to back your opinions up.

Private schools are just as bad

Again, why?

(I'm at a catholic school, but we have a jewish teacher, yarmulka and all!)

What's so bad about having a Jewish teacher at a Catholic school? I bet you'd much rather have a Jewish teacher rather than an atheist one. And keep in mind, Judaism and Catholicism aren't very different in comparison to, say, Buddhism. Your teacher isn't posing a harm to you.

This guy really explains the dangers of it.

dangers

What dangers? Like I said, I'm not going to watch the video, so I want you to explain to me in your own words how public and private schools could be considered dangerous.

By parents or by tutors? Parent's aren't usually up to date on what they know (including technology or software programs that are common in the modern workforce [MS Word, Excel, etc])

Microsoft software isn't difficult to use. Just about any kid can turn on a computer, load up MS Word and start typing away. Wouldn't be too hard for them to spend a few minutes experimenting now and again to see what the program does.

nor are they often specialized in a field.

Is that needed? A lot of parents send their children to high school by the time they start advanced stuff anyway. For the elementary, middle and early high school years, I see no problem in home schooling.

And Xeano made a good point:

Ummm... What happened to history, algebra, english, grammar, geography? Seems to me that those are more important then Excel.

In my personal experience, public school seemed fine. I don't have anything to compare it to, though.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 6:38pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,179 posts

Private schools are just as bad

Clown statement bro. I had a lot of buddies in the public school system, and people smearing excrements on the wall seems like less of a hassle than having a Jewish teacher. I went to high school in dixie, so catholics were actually a minority at my catholic school, but that doesn't change the message of the administration. A baptist guy teaching me trigonometry isn't going to impact my beliefs.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 7:40pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,676 posts

Knight

Home schooling can offer a better education, but it can also result in a far worse education as well. It all depends on what the parents do. A kid who is receiving a well rounded education with parents or a tutor providing them with all the necessary material will likely do better than what you get from public schools. A kid being kept out of a public school because the parents don't want their kid learning certain things and wish to teach their own dogma will likely do worse overall.

Posted Oct 10, '13 at 7:59pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,676 posts

Knight

Okay just got done watching the video, not a bad video by the way. Not exactly sure how it related to some of what you are saying though.

I do agree that we probably should change how we teach kids. Not having some sort of standard by which to work from might be very difficult to set up and maintain. One of the main issues I see that has become worse over the past 12 years or so is that kids are not really learning how to think. They are just learning how to take tests. The focus on testing has just increased over the years going right along with this decline elsewhere in education.

Reply to Public Schools

You must be logged in to post a reply!