ForumsForum GamesBretwalda (English Dark Ages RPG)

370 105049
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Oh vassal, who is your lord? Be you Pict? Briton? Irish? Perhaps even a Northman? Are you a virtuous Christian or a Pagan fluent in the rituals and sacrifices?

You are a vassal lord in the realm of Britain around the late 7th early 8th century. Your duties include raising armies to fight when war comes and keeping peace around the realm, and by that it means brutalizing the peasants and killing bandits.

Name:Irish, Celtic, Breton, Welsh will work
Physical Desc.: Please know a lot of people (as in 90%) in the dark ages weren't tall or really muscled
Bio: At least a paragraph
People: (i.e. Germanic, Breton, Irish, Welsh, Pict, Scandinavian...)
--------
Hand Weapons:
Ranged Weapons:
Armor & Possessions:
-------
Condition: Nil

That should be it, unless i left something out.

• 370 Replies
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Name: Yannic Gwallter Cecil
Physical Desc.: Brown-hair, pale, dark-brown eyes, 5'8, scrawny.
Bio: No one really knows who Yannic was born unto. He was found as naught but a babe on the side of the road by a minor Nobleman who had business in Germany. One of his guards made a snarky comment about the &quotoor peasant child in the side of the road" and the Nobleman ordered the carriage to stop. A soldier brought Yannic forth, and he was wrapped in soft blankets with a House's symbol, too muddled to identify. The Nobleman returned to England, bringing with him a Fosterling. He rose Yannic as his youngest son, teaching him the ways of Honor, Chivalry, and the Code of Battle.
People: Germanic
--------
Hand Weapons:Hatchet
Ranged Weapons:
Armor & Possessions:Tunic, Small Round Shield
-------

if by influential and loyal, you mean yourself yeah. Otherwise you're fairly distant from the villagers as usual, you can either send an emissary or go yourself and levy villagers, and same for the blacksmith

trooper555able
trooper555able
2,316 posts
Nomad

Bio: No one really knows who Yannic was born unto. He was found as naught but a babe on the side of the road by a minor Nobleman who had business in Germany. One of his guards made a snarky comment about the &quotoor peasant child in the side of the road" and the Nobleman ordered the carriage to stop. A soldier brought Yannic forth, and he was wrapped in soft blankets with a House's symbol, too muddled to identify. The Nobleman returned to England, bringing with him a Fosterling. He rose Yannic as his youngest son, teaching him the ways of Honor, Chivalry, and the Code of Battle.
--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

Well then I'll send an emissary to find willing villagers. He'll let them know that the militia would not be used beyond the village and the surrounding area, it might rope in some veterans who'll only fight when forced to. I'll go find the blacksmith myself.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

You send the man out as you search for one, the nearest town seems to have one, but he asks "Depends on how many and how well equipped."

trooper555able
trooper555able
2,316 posts
Nomad

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

"I'm looking for five to ten. I just need enough for them to outclass your common street-scum."

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

"well if you want to kill any old thief, just have them bring their pitchforks and sickles."

trooper555able
trooper555able
2,316 posts
Nomad

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

"Perhaps my inexperience is catching up to me once again. What would you give to soldiers or militiamen here if there were reports of strange ships or formations faffing about?"

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------
Condition: Nil'

"Around these parts? Franks? I'd give you a rosary and tell you to pray. But if you want hope, i can offer you short spears and bucklers, it's what you can afford."

trooper555able
trooper555able
2,316 posts
Nomad

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

"That would be most helpful, good sir. You have my thanks. One more thing. Would you be able to spare me a decent sword? A short-sword would be a step-up from this hatchet."

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

He imparts you with advice rather then a weapon

"An axe can break a shield better then a sword."

trooper555able
trooper555able
2,316 posts
Nomad

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

I stand there for a moment, appearing to think on his advice. "Hm. Yes, I suppose that's true. Good day, sir." I'll take my leave and return to my village.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

You return to your village, where the emissary has levied 12 men with a varying range of enthusiasm for the militia

trooper555able
trooper555able
2,316 posts
Nomad

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

Yes, this seems satisfactory. Is there a veteran who would be suitable for drill-master or some such among them?

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

No veterans, all mud farming villagers

trooper555able
trooper555able
2,316 posts
Nomad

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

I guess I'll be the one training them. I'll have that emissary assign sparring partners to every recruit. He'll inform them to spar, and after one or the other has been dealt a "killing" blow, the winner will explain how they got past the loser's defense.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

--------
Ranged Weapons:
-------

The winner knows about as much as the loser how he killed them at this point

Showing 16-30 of 370