Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Legitimacy of the Medical Realm

Posted Dec 13, '13 at 10:25pm

Stormslice

Stormslice

42 posts

So I was wondering about this the other day. Why is it that so many people are being given anti-psychotics and anti-depressants these days? Moreover, why are they being given specifically to teens and young adults? Over the history of the human race, we've never done anything like this. And why is it, if the treatments are legitimate, that so many teens and young adults are depressed or psychotic? What has changed?
Well, a lot has changed in not a lot of time. We now have the internet, television, and social networking. And, yes, cyberbullying is at an all time high. However, I've heard of people who have gone through much, much worse in their lives and they went on to live their lives. Do things affect us psychologically? Of course, but the people I've seen have gotten past it. They came to grips with their situation and lived their lives. So what has changed with the most recent generation? What has made this generation like they are?
I have a theory, and I will put it here, but I would like to know yours as well.
My theory is that the current generation has not had to go through the reality and brutality of life. They escape it using the new technology of computers and computer gaming. I'm not saying that an occasional escape from everyday life is bad, on the contrary, I am all behind that. However, too much of it can cause serious expectational viewpoint problems, which is what we see today. People expect the world to be perfect and always work their way. This is an unrealistic expectation and, thus, the current generation gets depressed that their fantasy world does not come true.
So, the medical realm is handed this problem and the doctors don't go to the source, instead they mask the symptoms. If they are doing this with depression, then what else are they doing it with? What other conditions can be simply fixed, but the doctors just aren't telling you or they just don't know how to fix? After that comes the question of if the doctors really know what they claim to know. And if they don't, then why are we trusting our livelihood with people who don't know what they need to? Will you put someone who hasn't been trained into a F-22 fight jet? No. So why are we putting someone who ACTS like they are trained, but who just mask the symptoms with our livelihood? We shouldn't. So I am challenging the medical realm. I am standing here saying "I don't trust you with my life." If all they are going to do is give me drugs, then I'm not going to go to them. What ever happened to the rule "if a strange person offers you drugs, say no?" It's the same principle. If I want drugs, I'll go to a dealer, ok doc?
Who has similar feelings? Stand up and be counted.

Posted Dec 14, '13 at 2:25am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,437 posts

Why is it that so many people are being given anti-psychotics and anti-depressants these days?

Maybe it's because there weren't as many people before. The US population has more than doubled since 1950 and suicide rates have declined since then. Among younger people, it has declined since the '90s. That could mean treatment/prevention is working to some extent.

My theory is that the current generation has not had to go through the reality and brutality of life.

The most at-risk age groups are 35-44 and 45-54. My theory is that the media feasts on anything that involves kids.

and the doctors don't go to the source, instead they mask the symptoms.

What do you mean by this?

Posted Dec 14, '13 at 11:41am

09philj

09philj

1,774 posts

I don't trust the "medical realm" as you call it either, but for rather different reasons. I trust doctors, and understand they're under a lot of pressure to perform and are overworked, and it's often simplest to hand people some pills and tell them they'll be fine. In most cases, this is fine.

No, my problems come from the people who make the pills. This is because they are highly unscrupulous money grabbers who'll do anything for their own gain. I could explain it myself, but this video does it better:
[url=http://www.badscience.net/2012/09/i-did-a-talk-at-ted-about-drug-companies-and-hidden-data/]

Posted Dec 14, '13 at 11:43am

09philj

09philj

1,774 posts

Let's try posting that link again:
[url=http://www.badscience.net/2012/09/i-did-a-talk-at-ted-about-drug-companies-and-hidden-data/]

Posted Dec 14, '13 at 11:45am

09philj

09philj

1,774 posts

Posted Dec 14, '13 at 12:10pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,437 posts

Fixed (gotta add [/url] at the end).

Posted Dec 14, '13 at 1:27pm

SSTG

SSTG

11,360 posts

Knight

I think kids have new challenges now with all the new technology but I don't think they're worse than before.
News travel faster with the Internet so it seem that there are more problems than before.
Also crooked drug companies are out of control now so they basically do whatever they want, being supported by crooked congressmen.
I think some doctors are in for the money they get from prescribing unnecessary meds.
Parents needs to choose their doctors carefully and avoid the weasels.
There are still good doctors out there, you just need to find them.

Posted Dec 14, '13 at 2:31pm

Sonatavarius

Sonatavarius

1,375 posts

You guys are touching on something that's at least partly true. Have you ever considered that regardless of what a healthcare provider does⦠if they don't prescribe pain pills or other types of meds to treat the symptoms (and not necessarily the problems) that they won't get paid at all? I've overheard physicians ranting over how they can't not treat pain. They can treat and fix the underlying cause, but if the patient still says they're in pain then the gov't/insurance may not pay them. If the world would stop micromanaging everything physicians do then maybe it wouldn't be so expensive to see one. Maybe a good portion of the problems people have with the medical field would disappear?

Posted Dec 14, '13 at 10:03pm

Sonatavarius

Sonatavarius

1,375 posts

a necessary double

One of the differences in a dealer and a doc that you seem to be ignoring is that dealer's haven't been formally educated on how to make the meds or how to properly prescribe them. You also seem to be equating recreational drugs to drugs that are intended to be used therapeutically (even tho they may be the same drug but used under different contexts). Are you also implying that all maladies can be cured without drugs? Good luck thereâ¦

You make way too many assumptions. Doctors are trained in dealing with these problems. The formalized field of psychology was started in the 1870s. We're only just now understanding the biochemical natures of these disorders and how they impact the brain. Sometimes people need a helping push to get going and pharmacological agents are then prescribed⦠but they're also referred to psychiatrists and psychologists to follow up with treatment of the cause. It's much harder to quit smoking for most people when they attempt to do it cold turkey than it is when they have help⦠i.e. a drug and or a support group. You have no idea about what goes on in the medical realm, so I can't trust you to internet!

Posted Dec 14, '13 at 11:12pm

Stormslice

Stormslice

42 posts

Um, actually, the doctors are giving depressed people drugs that are 10 times more addictive than cocaine and much more harmful. And, yes, all maladies can be cured using non drugs. I have lived the reality of both the professional medical realm as well as the personal medical realm. I have never felt better than when I am not going to the doctor, doing things that the doctors say are flat out fatal. For example, I drink more than 3 mg of Iodine every day. It's Nascent Iodine, which means that it is deactivated. also, doctors obviously haven't been taught the right things about the drugs that they are prescribing. And I disagree. I actually think that the drug dealers may know more about the drugs they are pushing than the doctors. The drug dealers know what the drugs do and they know how the drugs feel. They see the affects of the drugs they push every day and they are honest about the stuff that they are pushing. The doctors aren't. I would rather have a drug dealer pushing stuff on me than a doctor.
Also, you say that I don't know what goes on in the medical realm. Fair enough, I don't, but my mom spent years in nursing school. She knew and still knows what it's like. She has seen that world and she saw what they were doing. She has been researching alternative medicine for almost 30 years. And by the way, the things that we have found make sense on a cellular level whereas the stuff that the doctors are feeding you don't. You can call me what you will. Call me a conspiracy theorist or whatever. We've seen that life and we know what it's like. I can speak from personal experience. I've lived it. The doctors haven't. If that doesn't qualify me to say these things, then the doctors are less qualified than field mice in their area of medicine. You can heal yourself, you just have to know how. You don't need doctors.

Reply to Legitimacy of the Medical Realm

You must be logged in to post a reply!