ForumsGamesCTC2PP: Custom Castle Contest

1474 256780
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

This is the official Crush the Castle 2 Players Pack contest. You've come to the right place.

You're probably wondering how this contest works. Basically, we (the three judges) give you a theme at the beginning of each round, and you, the contestant, build a castle that follows the theme in some way. Then, so we can count your castle as an entry, take the link to that castle and post it in this thread. If it isn't posted in this thread by the deadline (and the deadline will always be a specific date and time), we will not be able to count it as an entry for that round.

If you've never built a castle before, or you want to brush up on your building skills, check out this guide made by @Arm_Candy.

This is a weekly contest, so each round will last 5 days, with 2 days being designated for judging. Every week, the theme will change and a new round will begin. Pretty easy to grasp.

Oh, and the winner of each round receives a merit, a spot in the CTC2PP Hall of Fame, and a rare quest that can only be earned through winning (or judging) a level building contest:

http://quests.armorgames.com/website/5/media/icon/d06fa73d7b7eaa626941288fc59ce86a.png?v=1398292205
-------------------------------------------------------------
RULES
Yes, there are rules. What did you expect?

Basic rules for this contest, written originally by @PrivatePapi for his old CTC contest:
1. Do not spam under any circumstance.
2. Only enter 1 castle for each category.
3. Do not ask either of us which category will be next.
4. Do not copy somebody else's castle if you do not have permission from him/her.
5. When entering for the contest, always submit your castle according to the current category.
6. Have fun!

And this section, written by @FishPreferred:
a) All entries must be playable and have at least 1 person in them. It seems obvious, but who knows?
b) Entries that are so overladen with stuff that they cause considerable lag will not be eligible. Considerable lag is herein defined as "a big freakin' pile of lag that renders an entry virtually unplayable without severely overheating my 3 year old computer".
c) Entries should be stable enough to last a full minute without collapsing, and should require at least one shot in order to be won. This applies to every part of the contest that doesn't explicitly state otherwise in its instructions.
d) Any entry which the judges deem to be inappropriate (in a lewd, indecent, or libellious sense) will be disqualified, and most likely deleted by the admin.

And lastly, a few additional notes added by yours truly:
- The only castles you are allowed to post in this thread are contest entries. If you link to more than one castle, only the most recent one will be treated as an official entry, unless otherwise specified.
- All entries must be built specifically for the contest and for the current theme. You can't submit castles that you entered in previous rounds, or anything that was built before the beginning of the current round.

Looks like a lot of rules, but it's all intuitive. You'll have no trouble following these guidelines.
Optional: CODE
Some architects like to take things a step further and modify castle codes to do things that otherwise wouldn't be possible in the regular editor mode. This method will not give you a significant advantage over other contestants, but it may be of interest if you want to play around with the editor a bit. Code modification is not a requirement for this competition.

How to modify castle codes by @SSTG.

If you don't modify castle codes or have any plans to in the future, you can skip over this next part.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR CODERS: If you decide to use code-modified elements in an entry, take caution, for, although code-editing can be useful for certain details, excessive use of code-modified elements in an entry could lead to a deduction of points from the entry.
That's the contest in a nutshell. Just remember to check back every week for the results of each round, as well as the theme for the next round. I will post the theme for the first round after this post ends, so as not to confuse first-time submitters in the future.

And if you have any ideas for future themes, contact @CourtJester or myself or post your theme idea in the thread.

That certainly was a lot of words. Over 700 of them. It may seem like a lot to take in, but this contest is all about having fun, despite all these large blocks of text.

So get hyped, get building, and have fun with it!

Did I mention there's a merit prize to the winner of each round?

• 1,474 Replies
Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

The wood started to break at about 18 seconds for me, not counting the small piece on the side, but different players have different computer or internet speeds. Some players may have slow enough internet so that if they time 20 seconds and throw the bomb, it would hit the wood because it has not yet disintegrated.

The trick I used should work for any internet or computer speed.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Since some of the ratings have already come in, there's no reason for the winners to be delayed.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

All of the judges have sent in their ratings on time, and they have all been calculated. The reason for the delay is that we have a tie for first place, and we're waiting for a tiebreaker vote.

The theme for this round is War.

GeoffreyXIV
GeoffreyXIV
42 posts
Nomad

I would have built a level for the last round, however I checked last Friday and no results were up for the previous round and no new theme had been given, then my weekend was busy, and after that the contest slipped my mind until yesterday, so I made sure to remember to enter this round if I could find the time, and I did find the time, so here I have entered. I read the guide on how to build a castle, skipping over the parts I already knew, then I read part of the guide to modifying castle codes because I wanted to do something different from what I did last round, even though I was lucky enough to have gotten second place.

Viking Warship

CourtJester
CourtJester
6,158 posts
Peasant

however I checked last Friday and no results were up for the previous round
Git yer Yah Yah's out because I was in Orlando soaking up the rays and taking in a Stones concert so, I was a little late! HA HA HA - nice Viking Ship - a man after my own Swedish heart @SSTG
Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

If castles can tie for second and third place like they have before, they should be able to tie for first, as long as you have enough ratings so that the tie is legitimate. How many judges are there?

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

If four people's ratings say that two castles are equally deserving of first place, that should be enough to determine that both of them deserve first place. Another vote should not be needed for the sake of putting one ahead of the other.

We will leave it up to the judges to make the final call.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

idk why they cant get it done by Friday

This round, I would be the only one to blame. All of the judges got their ratings in on time, and the tie in the ratings was an unforeseen circumstance. In the past, ties have only happened for second and third place, and no tiebreakers were needed because they were not tied at first place.

The prize is not really a major factor in determining why we can only have one winner, and I know most of you would keep building regardless of whether you were awarded a merit for winning. In a pinch, two could be awarded for a round every now and then. This is not the issue at all.

Every judge had one castle that they rated higher than all the others. This has been the case with every round I've ever seen. If different judges put different castles as their highest rated choice, you get a much closer round. Other times it's unanimous which castle receives the highest rating. This round, 4 out of 5 judges put the same two castles as their top two, half favored one and half the other, and when the ratings were averaged, they happened to counter-balance each other perfectly, resulting in a tie. If one of them had not posted ratings, it would not have resulted in a tie. If one judge had rated one just 0.1 higher, it would not have been a tie. If another judge had posted ratings before I had calculated them, it would not have been a tie unless that judge rated the two highest rated castles the same, which no judge did this round. A sixth judge was called in to make the tie-breaking vote, and their ratings were as legitimate as any other judge's. It was only a result of the specific circumstances that the tie happened, and calling for the tiebreaker vote without publicizing it would have made this nothing more than another close round, and that is how the round should be treated.

The only person who made any mistake this round was me, and that mistake was announcing the tie to the public. Everyone else did everything right, and every castle received praise. The top 3 highest rated castles were from the 3 winningest architects in this contest's history, so nobody should feel that a win was taken from them when that is not the case at all.

So without further ado, here are the results for Round 9. I'm sticking with CJ's method of allowing everyone to see their placement. Only top 3 will have publicized ratings, but if you want to see your rating or you want feedback in general, you can always request it.

5th place goes to Oddly Fish Preferred, submitted by @ObieOdie.

4th place goes to Royal Bungalow, submitted by @BigJoeTheMighty.

3rd place, with an average rating of 6.7, goes to Aloha Means Goodbye, submitted by @DrElmer.

2nd place, with an average rating of 7.12, goes to Streichholz Schloss, submitted by @Arm_Candy.

1st place, and the grand merit prize winner of Round 9, with an average rating of 7.18, goes to FORT NOSTRADAMUS 2, submitted by @DeathstormKnight. Congratulations!

And congratulations to all who entered for making this such a great round.

ROUND 10
Theme: War
Deadline: Wednesday, June 24, 11:59 PM AG time.

Hall of fame will be updated shortly to include all of the winning entries of this year.

BigJoeTheMighty
BigJoeTheMighty
40 posts
Jester

My entry for the "WAR" Contest.... Un-Modern Warfare

BigJoeTheMighty
BigJoeTheMighty
40 posts
Jester

I feel like once a castle is submitted it cannot be removed...it's kinda unfair in my opinion.

DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd
weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

@DeathstormKnight

The subject at hand is offensive to some people. There are other ways of fitting the genre. Just build another level and move on. There is really no reason to get so worked up over it.

BigJoeTheMighty
BigJoeTheMighty
40 posts
Jester

I personally don't have an issue with it...but a swastika? That is a highly offensive symbol and although it does have alot to do with war...it also has alot to do with a genocide. You could have easily made a war-inspired castle without using Hitler and the swastika. Also, about my opinion on deleting and re-submitting a castle... you shouldn't be able to do that because it is completely unfair...you can submit one, then look at your competition, and then work on something better. If your a skilled enough builder then you should be able to make a great level the first time out.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

The cultural significance of that symbol does not end with Hitler and WWII. In the western world, the swastika still represents Aryan supremacy, antisemitism and anti-Catholicism, making it probably the most offensive symbol you could display.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

There's one user in the PE who has built several tanks and other war-related things this week. The king saw all of these tanks and decided he wanted one of his own, and also that he wanted to live in it luxuriously.

Tower in the Tank

Showing 721-735 of 1474