Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Ukraine Asks for US and Britain's Help in Crimea

Posted Mar 1, '14 at 4:26pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,589 posts

Short snippet here:

I read that^ and there's likely a more-detailed version out there, but for the gist of it, Ukraine feels that the Russian force's actions in the Crimean region is a full-on invasion and the government is asking for the two countries' help. Help as in military action. If either of these two countries agree and decides to send their military to deal with Russia, this could end up being very, very ugly in the future. Let's get some more History/Foreign Policy-savvy people in here for discussion.

Posted Mar 1, '14 at 5:45pm

minecraftsniper

minecraftsniper

613 posts

I would love they help each other but , if they help the other two countries will be in problems with Russia too , so i hope this solves peacefully.

Posted Mar 1, '14 at 8:24pm

Kennethhartanto

Kennethhartanto

248 posts

bad idea dude, if they send their troops to war. that could initiate a chain reaction which would cause a massive war as like WW2. except you want the WW3 theory becoming a reality, i don't think sending troops to there would make the problem resolved, plus it's not like the UN is going to stay quiet if US act alone and this time jeapordising world peace, if US did act alone on Somalia and Iraq, this time it's against a country with veto rights in the security council of UN. if they are smart, the Russian would use their veto rights to just stop the reinforcement troops streaming from US and UK.

Posted Mar 1, '14 at 9:14pm

minecraftsniper

minecraftsniper

613 posts

True this "metting" if i can call it that way , will end bad , i hope it dont ,but how the things are now i dont know if this will be peacefully , also US and UK will end t war with them :/

Posted Mar 2, '14 at 1:37am

loloynage2

loloynage2

4,353 posts

Their will probably be no help from the western world in a military perspective. Considering this would scale horribly. On the other hand Russia does not want war either. I'd be very surprised if Russia attacks western Ukraine.

The outcome of this issue will probably be the annexation of Crimea and a division between west and east Ukraine.

Posted Mar 2, '14 at 5:46am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Let's get some more History/Foreign Policy-savvy people in here for discussion.

I don't see how we can say anything on events there or their outcome at present that wouldn't be so much more idle talk.

Who knows, really. A dangerous situation, yes sure.

Posted Mar 2, '14 at 5:55am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

^ ps In case it needs adding: I didn't mean that in a sense of it shouldn't be open for discussion. But I honestly wouldn't know what to sensibly say on it.

On the other hand Russia does not want war either. I'd be very surprised if Russia attacks western Ukraine.

This, incidentally, I'm not so sure of. Putin and his gang and predecessors have been flexing their muscles rather nicely for quite some time, now. And by-and-large gotten away with it.

They did so in Georgia; they do it in Chechnya, and other such unruly Caucasus regions and elsewhere. And they must be well-aware of all they can get away with. How far they'll be willing to push those stakes would IMO be anyone's guess, indeed.

Posted Mar 2, '14 at 5:06pm

pft

pft

528 posts

Most people in the UK and US are tired of wars and are unlikely to start a war for something not really threatening them. I do say though most matters should be handled politically. Show other countries if the countries that have power can sort out things with politics then it will promote peace.

Posted Mar 2, '14 at 5:22pm

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,419 posts

I do not think that the US will get involved. I don't know about UK, but I doubt that they would either. No one really wants to get involved with what could further escalate, but I don't have all of the details.

Posted Mar 3, '14 at 12:26am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Most people in the UK and US are tired of wars and are unlikely to start a war

Yes, perhaps; but then the thing is it's not usually the people who start them...

Show other countries if the countries that have power can sort out things with politics then it will promote peace.

Indeed; as when the US now reprimands Russia that invading countries is so 19th-century (!)

Sure, bubba, do put your money where your mouth is, and all that. Seriously though, it had been warned all along that (e.g.) going to war forsaking UN sanctioning would mean the implosion of all we hold up to be the rule of international law and so on. Fragile as that may itself be (and all in all just a minute somewhat-civilized blip in history, hasn't it been), one does wonder if it isn't being proven so as we speak, more and more. What moral grounds do any of us have left to stand on, indeed.

Reply to Ukraine Asks for US and Britain's Help in Crimea

You must be logged in to post a reply!