ForumsWEPROf Frats, Rape Culture and #TFM

47 26807
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

So... here's another one of those articles a friend of mine posts on fb that I don't feel like burning bridges over.

What do you all think is the reason behind the supposedly high incidence of frat boys being involved in rape cases? What's the real problem here? Can it be fixed? I've got a few thoughts, but I'll wait to see if the thread catches anyone's interest before I start rambling

• 47 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

So when you have a melting pot of competitive tribe members, a saturated amount of testosterone, and outlandish tribal rituals....

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

idk if we can trust the sources, but she's cited some.

I don't think it's all that uncommon for guys of that age to bring girls to this sort of function hoping they'll get drunk enough to sleep with them. The article seems to have a little bit of a hint of feminazi'ism, but the point being touched on may be a valid one. If you think it's overhyped and that there's not a problem, then you can argue that point.

My issue is that the author seems like she was oblivious during her whole or at least most of her college career regarding the "rules" and "intentions" of some of these people.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

What do you all think is the reason behind the supposedly high incidence of frat boys being involved in rape cases?

A heavier focus on these incidences.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

boy do I ever miss xzeno... he had a way of making these discussions a lot more interesting :-C...

I'm not sure how someone can make it all the way until their college years and not be familiar with the greek life stereotypes... or even just the adult party dynamic. It seems to me that more people could be helped by educating the seemingly grossly ignorant than would be helped by talking with the frat boys (this is ignoring the other form of rape)... I didn't even go to a college with greek life and I still know that people have been doing that sort of thing even in high school

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

When you are a male at a normal college attendance age, there is a large likelihood that you are drunk/stupid/arrogant/all of the above. It only takes one stupid thing for you to be in deep trouble. This is also why male life expectancy is lower; "Hey guys, watch this!"

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

I didn't state that rape is common or a problem. I stated that the article makes said statements.

Men... at least most men... want to have sex. Some men will stoop as low as to getting a girl drunk or even spiking her drink so that she makes poorer decisions or is completely comatose.

What I meant by adult party dynamic is that if you get a bunch of 18-25 year old people together and get them drunk or just get them partying then romantic advances are going to be made.

âIF ANYTHING EVER FAILS, GO GET MORE ALCOHOL.â
If that isnât a perpetuation of rape culture, then I donât know what is.

^this is what I was addressing (not the other normal version of rape) Some people say that having intercourse with an inebriated person is the same thing as rape since they weren't able to think about the situation completely and give proper consent (frontal lobe inhibition and all that). That's what I meant. Notice that I elaborated earlier and differentiated between the breaking and entering version of rape and the had too much to drink to give proper consent version of rape.

The talking to frat boys thing was meant to be interpreted as telling them to be better people / not to rape people. The educating the ignorant was meant to be directed to the people that would say "Some guys will get me drinks just to get me drunk enough to sleep with them when I originally didn't want to??? I HAD NO IDEA!?!?!" ..... the term "sexual assault" might also be getting used for times when a girl was too inebriated to properly consent. The article focuses on the inebriation scenario more than it does the other type.

There's a video of a woman somewhere who wanted to hug a polar bear so bad that she jumped into an enclosure at a zoo... she then proceeded to get mauled and wondered why it happened. ( I think she was actually not all there at the time mentally, so it's only pseudo relevant) Do you need to get mauled by a polar bear to know that you can't just go up and hug one randomly? Do you need to get your drink spiked once at a party to know that you shouldn't accept drinks from people you don't completely know/trust? Do you need to get black out drunk before you know that you can't trust everyone with your blacked out body?

It's the guys who would take advantage of the situation's fault, but there are those who get themselves into these situations and get taken advantage of when a little common sense would've saved them the heartache, and that's what I meant when I said educating the seemingly ignorant.

I've been told since I was a kid not to take candy from strangers, not to accept drinks from people I don't know, not to drink from drinks that I haven't kept my eye on the entire time in that setting, not to be alone with or go off with people I don't know or trust. You can't always trust people not to take advantage of you. etc...

I kind of agree but disagree with your media thing. Is the media really driving the behavior and at fault or is it simply a litmus test showing that it exists in society today? Sex sells, but the media didn't have to make it that way. Maybe it sells because that's what enough people want in order to make it sell. I don't know that it's so much that people value money over humanity as they do sex over most things (everyone's different, but the subset that the media is showing all the sexy things to is the one I'm talking about).

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads15/acquire_currency1254968166.jpg

if money was the end all be all, then guys probably wouldn't be buying these girls as many drinks

What I really think the article is touching on aside from the raping is the notch in your belt culture where some guys see women as tally marks to be had rather than people... but since it's a feminist article it attacks the situation with the rape angle.

References

most people turn 21 while in college. enabling people to buy it without hassle would seem to increase the chances of inebriation. I understand what phil was getting at, and I understand why it was too absolutist and "if male, then drunk" for you. Read what he means and not what he says. It's better to think in terms of probabilities, sensitivity, and specificity, than it is "if... then.." statements.

I wrote this in parts and didn't really proofread it at all, so I apologize for the redundant parts and the lack of proper sentence structure
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

^this is what I was addressing (not the other normal version of rape) Some people say that having intercourse with an inebriated person is the same thing as rape since they weren't able to think about the situation completely and give proper consent (frontal lobe inhibition and all that). That's what I meant. Notice that I elaborated earlier and differentiated between the breaking and entering version of rape and the had too much to drink to give proper consent version of rape.

If people choose to drink they should know the effects on their minds. At what point do you consider the least amount of drink of being able to consent? If this is rape then it should be considered there is alot of rapist in bars every night. Now this does sound a little silly now. So know the risk of alcohol and you limits.

I've been told since I was a kid not to take candy from strangers, not to accept drinks from people I don't know, not to drink from drinks that I haven't kept my eye on the entire time in that setting, not to be alone with or go off with people I don't know or trust. You can't always trust people not to take advantage of you. etc...

Well to tell a kid not to accept drinks for others is pointless, as this applies for older people. Get educated then, thats the problem. Don't trust people of which you don't know or just met.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

the drinks thing was explained in context. "You have to use your own judgement and know that sometimes people may have ulterior motives and may try to get you drunk or drug you, so be careful"... just for the sake of trying to be concise I over simplify some things

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

First off, what the hell is a TFM?
I think it is a mixture of things. First it's the alcohol. copious amounts of it makes you do things you're gonna regret.Second, it's a the fact that the testosterone levels are extremely high (I can't think of a cute, witty simile right now, sorry.) Plus a lot of other factors. I don't think that there is a spike in rape cases like this, but what I do think is that more of them are being reported on the news, and that's what we're seeing.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

First off, what the hell is a TFM?

Total Frat Move
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Ah, I can't wait to go to college!
Rape, hazing, herpes. Yes, lot and lots of herpes.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I'm hoping this is a joke because if not it seems like you are just as misinformed about college as you are about military life
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

When you are a male at a normal college attendance age, there is a large likelihood that you are drunk/stupid/arrogant/all of the above

The Science Building at the university wants you do know that "normal" college attendance age is 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 22, and only two of those years are applicable for drinking. Secondly! When you apply for the Science division of the university, it's expected that one carries a certain modicum of intelligence to actually succeed and graduate with a degree in Science. Thirdly, were one arrogant at the start of enrollment, the amount of arrogance they have diminishes ever-so-slightly with every passing week of college. Especially if they are sitting in a physics and/or astronomy classroom to hear the words "the largest star we know dwarfs our sun like it's a skin cell to a human body, and in turn we are our Earth's skin cell." And I don't think I need to point out the mistakes one has being ostentatious in an Organic Chemistry laboratory and accidentally gasses the room with chloroform!

They do all that, while the statistics class just scoffs at the phrase "large likelihood."

It's amazing what miracles happen when the Family and Consumer Sciences department hands out free condoms and directions to the Planned Parenthood building.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR95ClFpUx-e9_KkbeIkXqbcjbzwz2vRERYy3pnUZ6GpYRachr8LDAanouB

No women in that "statistic"?

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I'm hoping this is a joke because if not it seems like you are just as misinformed about college as you are about military life

Yes, it was a joke. I forgot the xD mark at the end to signify that.
Keep In mind that I get most my info on things from Direct TV channel 246 (Tru TV). Shows like World's Dumbest, South Beach Tow, and Impractical Jokers are my main source of knowledge on the world of today.
Showing 1-15 of 47