Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Sleep!

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 7:42pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

6,861 posts

Some people actually have an easier time falling asleep in front of the TV than they do in their own bed. Someone else is going to have to explain why this is, but I've always found it to be an interesting phenomenon.

My dad is like that. Without TV he can't fall asleep for the life of him but once it's on and he's in bed listening he has no trouble whatsoever. I find it pretty odd but that's just my opinion.

My suggestion is try doing something very boring in bed when you're trying to go to sleep. Usually, if I can't sleep I just pick up some boring book and I fall asleep fairly quickly. Anyways good luck Nicho, sleep deprivation sucks :/

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 8:35pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,090 posts

The TV thing, it's the noise the TV produces.

Explanation

If I remember correctly, sleeping in a silent environment puts the brain on edge, basically...making it so that random noises startles the brain into thinking it might be a threat

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 9:02pm

Omegap12

Omegap12

1,929 posts

I haven't slept before midnight for more than two days in a row since I was ten.

And i still get up at 7:30 AM

But do lots of exercise for me works the best. I find swimming the best for sleeping than anything thing else

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 10:05pm

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,421 posts

That thingie that Ferret suggested is hella expensive.

I think I may soon try Frank's idea. Like, today. I woke up at like 12:40 or somethin and I really need to get back on a normal sleeping schedule. I have insomnia, and sometimes it will act up really bad and even if I've trained myself to be on a normal schedule, I'll still be up until 5 or so in the morning trying to get to sleep. But nowadays (for the most part) I can go to bed around midnight and wake up around 8 or 9 feeling alright.
I feel really bad for people in public schools and such because asking anyone to be ready for school everyday before 7 is just crazy. I used to ride the bus and that meant that I would have to be at my bus stop at 6:15-6:30 every morning. So I would have to be awake at 5am just to have enough time to go through my morning routine in a zombie-like trance.

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 10:54pm

Omegap12

Omegap12

1,929 posts

a zombie-like trance

Thats how life in 8th grade is like. Everythings in a trance. I HATE TRYING TO GET TO SLEEP

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 10:55pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,655 posts

I feel really bad for people in public schools and such because asking anyone to be ready for school everyday before 7 is just crazy. I used to ride the bus and that meant that I would have to be at my bus stop at 6:15-6:30 every morning. So I would have to be awake at 5am just to have enough time to go through my morning routine in a zombie-like trance.

Not to encourage you to try my idea, but when I did my idea, I regularly woke up at 5:30 completely refreshed and went to bed at 7-8.

Except today. Today is a weird day.

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 10:56pm

Omegap12

Omegap12

1,929 posts

I just realized something for u as i opened my book.
Read before u sleep, i found it works alot with relaxing the mind and body

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 11:55pm

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Some insightful comments here, including Ferret's, but not just his.

No TV/internet/(nor reading, at least in my experience!), it's something I guess we "all know," however I'd never looked at it as physically yet (blue light etc. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it.)

Whether it's not too late to save this night owl remains to be seen, but... (I've generally gotten a lot better at it, really. If anything, better at swiftly readjusting if I let it slip these days. No abuse of any substances must surely help! Save for nicotine and cafeine, but I try and lay it easy on the latter. & Generally being more at peace -- in the most general of senses, ahem )

Posted Mar 6, '14 at 12:00am

StormWalker

StormWalker

8,182 posts

I always do stupid things. Like right now, for example. I have to get up for school in *looks at clock* five hours and three minutes as of right this second. However, I can't draw myself away from my computer, and it's probably because I've formed an unhealthy addiction to it. And I have a long day tomorrow, so right now I'm just being plain stupid.
Aside from that, even when I don't stay online until midnight+, I have trouble falling asleep anyway. I mean, I can lie there for hours with my eyes closed doing my best to think of nothing and I look over and I'm still awake. And, strangely enough, the more sleep I get, the more tired I feel when I wake up.
I get on average 3-7 hours of sleep on a school night, and on weekends I compensate by sleeping in til about 12 or even later.
I know it's not healthy, but that's my schedule...
Mugh.
*flops away and attempts to sleep*

Posted Mar 6, '14 at 12:06am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,581 posts

University changes your sleep schedule completely.

Over the summer, I had an office job that required going to sleep at 11 PM and getting up at 5:30 AM.

On Tuesday, I went to bet at 1 AM and got out of bed at 1 PM. What.

Yesterday, I went to bed at 1:30 AM, woke up at 7 AM for no reason (thanks to my job, I now wake up too early every day), went back to sleep, woke up at 7:59, turned off my alarm early (it's set for 8), went to college, came back, went BACK to bed from 1 PM to 3:30 PM, got on the Internet, went to bed AGAIN from 5 PM to 5:30 PM, and now I'm still awake at 12 AM.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Reply to Sleep!

You must be logged in to post a reply!