Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Outlook on Life

Posted Mar 10, '14 at 9:59am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,299 posts

Knight

Optimist/Pessimist/Realist/Others? Which are you? A half-empty glass sop in the mud or half-full cheery fellow?

Personally I'm a slight pessimist. If things don't go my way, at least I'm expecting it, and if they do, I'm extra happy! Course, I'm not one of them misanthropic, brooding types. A dash of realism in there somewhere. I like having optimists around me since it makes me feel livelier and happier, but I just don't share their sentiments....

Posted Mar 10, '14 at 10:57am

daleks

daleks

3,706 posts

I assume worst case senario so that if it happens then I expected it. If it doesn't then I am happy. I think that makes me a pessimist.

Posted Mar 10, '14 at 11:30am

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

1,560 posts

Rationalist/determinist/naturalist/moral nihilist/extreme skeptic. What this means in terms of emotional bias is anyone's guess. Is there a way to gauge this bias without invoking the hypothetical glass?

I assume worst case senario so that if it happens then I expected it. If it doesn't then I am happy. I think that makes me a pessimist.

To me, this just means you're mentally well-prepared.

Posted Mar 10, '14 at 11:33am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,759 posts

Personally, I'm fairly pessimistic. That isn't to say I'm a downer, in fact I enjoy the crappy thins in life. I think they make things fun, make things interesting.

When talking with my friends about their lives and the sort, I am quite optimistic.

Posted Mar 10, '14 at 9:02pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,419 posts

Knight

My outlook on life could be seen as both optimistic and pessimistic. I have hope that things will eventually get better, but at the same time, I know they won't, and that doesn't bother me at all.

I suppose you could rank me as an indifferent nihilist. I don't really believe life has any purpose, but at the same time, I really don't care whether it does or not.

Posted Mar 10, '14 at 10:52pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,299 posts

Knight

Or maybe just a good old fashioned realist Ernie with his feet firmly in the ground?

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 4:42pm

gh0sts

gh0sts

888 posts

I tend to be mostly optimistic, and I keep a reasonably good attitude even when things don't go as planned. Even the bad things happen for a reason. That must be the Hawaiian in me.

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 8:26pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,697 posts

Pessimistic, because why does everyone have to be so cheerful all of the time? The government's in shambles, the country's on the brink of collapse...

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 9:19pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

6,544 posts

I try and set my expectations low while thinking, "Ah, since I've set my expectations low I'll get a good result!"
I tried.

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 11:37pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,419 posts

Knight

Or maybe just a good old fashioned realist Ernie with his feet firmly in the ground?

A realist who acknowledges his fate based on his surroundings, but chooses to do nothing about it because of the effect it may or may not have.

So more like a realist with his feet buried in the sand.

Reply to Outlook on Life

You must be logged in to post a reply!