ForumsWEPR"What are you?"

38 18704
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

"What are you?"

This is another one of those things I chose not to jump into on fb. I'd like to ask the opinions of my fellow AG peoples on the matter? Is it so bad? Is the person that supposedly has this problem in the right or is she just down right whiney?

Here is my take on it.

There are definitely rude/hateful ways of going about asking the question, but it isn't inherently a rude thing to do. I've often been asked if I'm of German, Swedish, Norwegian, French, etc descent... actually, it's almost inevitable that a friend will eventually ask me that question if I'm friends with them for long enough. We are a very story oriented culture, and there is no problem with me being curious about yours or vice versa. I don't think the situation matters to me quite like she and some of the posters on that article thinks it matters to me. When you get to know someone you paint a mental picture of them, and not everything in a painting is of crucial importance. I'm just happy if people want to get to know me. Also, sometimes it isn't the actual conversation that matters its just the point of having one. Maybe someone has lost their words and can't think of anything other than that to say to what they think is a pretty girl. Or maybe they're just curious... Being that some people are just so unique in their particular flavor of looks I can't help but be curious myself as to what particular blend could've brought about something like them. IT'S SCIENCE!!!
http://i.imgur.com/xvwHtsU.gif

...specifically genetics

• 38 Replies
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Do you not know the difference between monkey and ape? Or are you suggesting that said science professors don't? Either way, it suggests a great deal of misunderstanding on your part.

-I know the dif between apes and monkeys
-But I don't know what a "said science professor" is
-I'm not misunderstanding anything, you are.

Anything else?
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I know the dif between apes and monkeys

In which case, you should have no difficulty in recognizing your error.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I pretty sure that I'm a human dude. That simple assertiveness of my humanity would probably horrify all the blowhard science professors around the world that want to be banana-eating monkeys that don't wipe.

(paraphrased) "The greatest thing about Science is that it's true whether or not you acknowledge it as true" -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

But I'm just a Biology Major! What do I know? And those Ph.D's in the university who are experts in their field and teach thousands of students what facts we know? They don't know either, do they? What about the guys who dig up those old bones and cross-reference the DNA inside with the DNA in us and find a seven-deviation match? Well, they must simply be misunderstood.

This up there should satisfy the Naturalist perspective of "What Are We?" just fine. And we can discuss the finer points of Naturalism in the correct thread if people wish, rather we should continue to discuss other means of classifying a human, because we still have other fields of Science to go
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Do you not know the difference between monkey and ape? Or are you suggesting that said science professors don't? Either way, it suggests a great deal of misunderstanding on your part.

It's either an arbitrary label assigned to two separate branches with little meaning beyond that or if we are to apply the the term in a consistent manner, we are monkeys.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

It's either an arbitrary label assigned to two separate branches with little meaning beyond that or if we are to apply the the term in a consistent manner, we are monkeys.

Morphologically, this is incorrect. Do you mean it in the hereditary sense?
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

well in a hereditary sense we're all the big bang... or big bang like organisms... not sure what we were before that. The fossil record is kinda blurry at that point

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Morphologically, this is incorrect. Do you mean it in the hereditary sense?

I am speaking photogenically. What feature does a monkey have that we do not that would leave us not classified as such? You can't say tale, there are monkeys without tales that are still classified as such.

I've been over this before in one of the evolution debates. Here is a visual of what I'm saying.

This is how we are currently going about calling monkeys, monkeys. It's arbitrary and has no barring on how we currently distinguish one group from another. Which is fine if we aren't applying it any other way but arbitrarily in a colloquial sense.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/Evolution/monkey2_zpsd0b0784b.jpg

This is what I'm saying if we are to be more consistent with applying the term.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/Evolution/monkey1_zps140fa401.jpg

The term monkey and ape predate modern classification. Scientifically monkey is no longer recognized as a taxon. The taxon that does include what we tend to call monkeys is the simians, which would include apes (which includes us).
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

monkeys have 48 chromosomes (24 pairs) when we only have 23 pairs (46). Even tho one of our chromosomes ate one of the others at some point they still technically have a variation of something that apathological do not...

So just like the mice and things that spring forth from the grains of the earth we new forms, people, sprang out of monkeys

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I am speaking photogenically. What feature does a monkey have that we do not that would leave us not classified as such? You can't say tale, there are monkeys without tales that are still classified as such.

Skull structure and teeth are the main ones. The tail is only significant in that none of the species phylogenically classified as apes possess them.

This is what I'm saying if we are to be more consistent with applying the term.

The problem here is that the classification at one point in evolutionary history is being imposed upon another. We can use tthe same method to conclude that all monkeys are shrews, that whales are a type of deer, that mammals are amphibians, that amphibians are fish, et cetera.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

[...]they still technically have a variation of something that apathological do not

So just like the mice and things that spring forth from the grains of the earth we new forms, [...]

What?
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

I was jokingly saying we're different from monkeys even tho we came from them.... For if we are but monkeys, then we are also nothing but single celled organisms. I don't think we have to have new or missing parts to merit saying that we have become something new. One model/method for classification is the sorting in and out of classes based on physical observation... and its not wrong per se... but it isn't my particular favorite. I subscribe to a slightly different notion of having unique variations to the same general structures meriting new classifications. Being descended from monkeys doesn't have to mean that we are them, but maybe only that we WERE them.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Skull structure and teeth are the main ones. The tail is only significant in that none of the species phylogenically classified as apes possess them.

By that reasoning we aren't apes as other apes possess different cranial and dental structures. (Which interestingly enough, ape did once mean all primates exact humans.) As noted we can rule out the tail as there are tailless monkeys. Also the ancestor of the ape (which I argue was a monkey) did have a tail. By the way I'm going about this it would just be that those subsets of monkey simply lost their tails over time.

monkeys have 48 chromosomes (24 pairs) when we only have 23 pairs (46). Even tho one of our chromosomes ate one of the others at some point they still technically have a variation of something that apathological do not...

As with cranial and dental differences this doesn't seem to exclude us from being a subset of ape. So why would it exclude us from being a subset of monkey?

Being descended from monkeys doesn't have to mean that we are them, but maybe only that we WERE them.

So at what point would that be?

"Creationists try to ridicule evolution through the implication that âwe came from monkeysâ, and those who know the difference are quick to point out that apes are not monkeys. For one thing, apes donât have tails. But thereâs more to it than that. For example, we can tell that a Barbary ape isnât really an ape, itâs a tailless monkey; the same way we can tell that a glass snake isnât really a snake; itâs a legless lizard. There are so many distinctions that even if we found a snake that had legs, (and we have) weâd still know it was a snake.

But snakes are a subset of the order, Squamata; That means âlizardâ. If snakes evolved from lizards, do they stop being lizards at the moment they become snakes? And when exactly is that moment? It turns out this is another confusing convention in Linnaean taxonomy which is corrected by cladistics. Paraphyletic groups shouldnât exist in phylogenetics, nor would systematic classification permit the emergence of new species to add another equivalent category. Instead existing branches split into successive subsets that are each monophyletic, sharing a common line of descent from which they can diverge but never detach. This means snakes will always be a subset of lizards and apes would still be monkeys." - AronRa

http://understandingscience.whirl-i-gig.com//media/2/23342_evo_resources_resource_image_260_original.gif

"A clade is a grouping that includes a common ancestor and all the descendants (living and extinct) of that ancestor. Using a phylogeny, it is easy to tell if a group of lineages forms a clade. Imagine clipping a single branch off the phylogeny â" all of the organisms on that pruned branch make up a clade." - evolution.berkeley.edu

All monkeys, apes and humans are simians (or anthropoids if you prefer). This is the branch we all share. Everything on that branch is just that a simian. In order of us to classify monkey as a monkey in a similar manner we would have to "clip" two separate branches. So in order to include both old and new world monkeys we would also have to include apes, which in turn would have to include us. As such we would have to call the whole thing "monkeys". By this we would be both "apes" and "monkey" if we were to apply the term more consistently. Also as noted if you wish to leave the term monkey arbitrary that's fine. This is about using the term in a consistent fashion.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Perhaps a visual will help.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/Evolution/monkey3_zpsc202b090.jpg

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Yes, I had this discussion with Mage before (wink wink). Yes, we are monkeys in the phylogenetic sense, or simians, or anthropoidea to be clearer. This means we share some common characters with all other monkeys. This does not mean we are New World Monkeys, or Old World Monkeys, however, as those are monophyletic sister groups to apes. Hence why we still don't share a multitude of characteristics in the skull or dental morphology etc. etc.

We can use tthe same method to conclude that all monkeys are shrews, that whales are a type of deer, that mammals are amphibians, that amphibians are fish, et cetera.

With the exception of all vertebrates being lobe-finned fishes, no, we cannot. Deer and whales are distinct monophyletic groups, as are monkeys and shrews and mammals and amphibians.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

With the exception of all vertebrates being lobe-finned fishes, no, we cannot.

Tetrapods!!! I meant tetrapods, not vertebrates! Oh the shame... *hides face in hands and runs away*
Showing 16-30 of 38