ForumsThe TavernHorror Games That Are Actually Scary

16 9813
kylefitch1
kylefitch1
100 posts
Jester

Guys, I really want to avoid horror games, but there are some that I played before they put in categories that aren't scary or gross or anything like that, but are now classified as horror games.

So can somebody post a list of horror games that are actually scary so I can avoid them? Thanks!

• 16 Replies
kylefitch1
kylefitch1
100 posts
Jester

I know, blk2860. I know.

I saw a friend of my brother's playing it once, it took me four hours to get over it and even now, like three years later, sometimes I still remember and freak out...

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

Hm. Define scary. I mean there's some games I play that are filed as horror that aren't scary at all, as you said...
*mumbles* but don't play Hetaoni it's not even on AG but if anyone tells you to don't do it because Steve will screw you over ok not to mention the cliffhanger
...and then there are those games that you're expecting things to jump out at you at any moment (like Slender, for example) and even if nothing does appear, you're so strung out from expecting something to that it's terrifying,
And then the games where there's just MONSTERS MONSTERS EVERYWHERE.
Yep, so I'd like your definition of scary.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,778 posts
Chamberlain

Define scary.

Game's that'll make you scream like a little girl and give you nightmares of Slenderman attacking you that then turn into hilliscinations after you wake up! It's only lasted until after I woke up a time or two, but the nightmares never fully stop.

~Manly
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The Amnesia series, Dead Space series, Metro 2033, STALKER: Call of Pripyat, The Evil Within (TBA), and I remember a Japanese game whereby you had to snap pictures of ghosts and apparitions to banish them.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Deep sleep on this site. The creepiness is very high.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

This thread belongs here
Most horror games tend to be scary, that's the purpose of putting them into the horror category. If you don't want a horror game, don't look through horror games.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

This thread belongs here

no u

Guys, I really want to avoid horror games, but there are some that I played before they put in categories that aren't scary or gross or anything like that, but are now classified as horror games.

So can somebody post a list of horror games that are actually scary so I can avoid them? Thanks!

Do you mean horror games on this site or horror games in general?
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

There are a few indie games that have some pretty scary horror games. Actually, I'd say most real scary games are indie. I don't know if Amnesia the dark decent counts as indie anymore. Outlast is pretty scary and there are a few other games that I sadly don't remember right now.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I remember a Japanese game whereby you had to snap pictures of ghosts and apparitions to banish them.

I remember watching my friend play that...it was such a long time ago, gah...it wasn't all that scary to me. People have different tastes.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Don't play the Clocktower series, don't play the Clocktower series. . . .

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I remember watching my friend play that...it was such a long time ago, gah...it wasn't all that scary to me. People have different tastes.

I'm terrified of Asian ghosts, since I was showed one when I was about 12 during school fright night.

I also go into panic mode regarding scenarios that revolve around a cadaver being mutilated and twisted into something still recognizable as once human but terribly and maddeningly deformed, as well as dark, blood spattered abattoir places like morgues and deserted hospitals. The Necromorphs wail and sound like many Japanese ghost shows I've watched, whilst they fulfil almost all of the above fears of mine; I had nightmares after my Dead Space experience.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

no u

._.

Do you mean horror games on this site or horror games in general?

I think he means both. If not, video games.

Anyways, Manhunt is a pretty scary game. Scary background too. If you read this it'll freak you out a little.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

im actually playinf fatal frame for the first time right now....

its scary to me. the place and enviroment is very creepy and you can never know when a ghost comes. the heart pounds in your remote might be a warning but they dont help when it comes to being calm.

but i have to say... i dont think that objectively that game is very scary (At least yet). ive had 2 jump scares (which obviously scared me) but except for that i was just creeped out really bad by thinking whats gonna happen next.

as for clocktower, ive only played clocktower 3. i recomend it. but the more you play the less scary it gets... and not because you got used to it. it really slowly loses quality. still hide-and-seek games are my most favourite horror games.

anybody knows anymore hide-and-seek horror games? ive also played haunting grounds (Which is amazing)

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Slender? I've never played it myself but by the looks of it it'll probably make me crap my pants-

or nah

Showing 1-14 of 16