ForumsGames[GENERAL] GemCraft CS Thoughts

465 152836
iladesta
iladesta
7 posts
Peasant

I was curious what everyone thinks of the game so far? Likes, Dislikes? Found any bugs yet?

• 465 Replies
pbhead
pbhead
8 posts
Nomad

I suppose I should mention that my current technique involves a single red/orange gem surrounded by 8 amplifiers of 2 grades lower gems. I can enrage the first wave 2-3 times, then up to 5-6 times, and then back down to almost no enrage by the end of the rounds. I play with 1 level of each of the traits.

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

make red/yellow gems and enrage as much as you can bare. Traits on lv2 and glaring

Brew78
Brew78
17 posts
Farmer

So is there a particular intended path to take, as far as spreading out and beating levels? I am absolutely stuck and can't find any way to move forward, other than replaying every single level again to try for higher XP.

I have absolute crap for talisman pieces, but I've leveled them all up to as high as they go. I have one green corner piece that gives initial mana, 10% to reavers, and some extra bolt charge. Oh yeah, and there's that one obviously totally OP fragment that gives 25% increased wasp attack speed!

I'm level 42, only put points into the skills I use, and have 2000 bonus mana. I try to make fewer towers with higher power gems since low power gems do no damage past the second wave and there's no point to even making them, outside of making a combo gem to then upgrade.

My options are to try to push into tile A, D, K, N, or J, and I can beat none of them. I came close to beating M7 once - maybe that one opens up into the unlabeled hextile to the right, I don't know.

How the heck does Chain Hit even work in this game? I can't find a single good answer on the subject. It shows a distance instead of number of targets. Does it hit EVERYTHING within that range? One thing per tile for the length of that distance?

I was pretty good at GCL but I can't for the life of me figure this game out. It's gone way past fun, way past frustrating, and into bull headed obstinateness with an increasing danger of breaking my keyboard every additional failed level.

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

Eg. chain hit 20.6 hits not more than 20.6 targets, but every target only once. If I am right of course. That's why there is always a slowgem before manafarm.

Brew78
Brew78
17 posts
Farmer

I wonder why they call it "length" instead of "hits" like the last game..

I did beat M7, I think I'd been trying too hard to blow up all the buildings in prior tries. But it opens into Q and its looking like there's NFW I'm going to be able to do that one either.

So I'm just replaying with exp boosts, spending SC, am up to 44, almost 45.

Picked up some more fragments, like ones for barrage and curse charges, neither spells of which I have.

A1 has the lowest starting HP so I guess I have to focus on that as my next target. J2 is still aways away I guess.

What level can J2 actually be beaten? Am I still ridiculously underleveled or am I really just that bad at this game?

ThomasSpeedrunner
ThomasSpeedrunner
155 posts
Nomad

I'd say 50 is a possible minimum level. Also, don't get rid of talisman fragments which you don't have the effected spell for yet; they're quite useful once you do get those spells.

Also, if you think J2's hard, wait 'til you encounter things like hextiles O and R and field B6 (which is a secret field whose discovery requires that you beat B1 on Glaring). Only gets worse from here.

thunderrider
thunderrider
641 posts
Peasant

*cough* *cough*

Beaten endurance FTW

Took only 5 hours, over 2 days-

http://i.imgur.com/3veKS8B.png

Keadius33
Keadius33
8 posts
Peasant

I think the poolbound gem is still way to powerful, i may start over and avoid poolbound abit longer and/or just not go into endurance so not to level so fast i think the game was funner before you only need to use a few gems of 4 colors OWR and YWR to win.

I'd like to see a way to use Shadow cores on new save slot , since there is a withdraw maybe add a deposit function.

jimclowe
jimclowe
10 posts
Peasant

>So is there a particular intended path to take, as far as spreading out and beating levels? I am absolutely stuck and can't find any way to move forward, other than replaying every single level again to try for higher XP

Focus on K then get through O to the top right to open R. Open the tomb in R, hopefully someone corrects me if I'm wrong, and you get critical hit and your game will completely change at that point.

I never used traps or amplifiers. Focus on that big gem, I generally always used orange and purple. Don't forget to change target priority when needed and try to space out bolt and beam for giants and swarmlings respectively.

And use walls. I finished more than a few fields by the skin of my teeth changing paths up to buy some time.

thunderrider
thunderrider
641 posts
Peasant

Endurance should be harder(make shrines cap at 80%), be longer(at least 1337) and give more xp(50% instead of 75% penalty). Then it'd be harder and funner to beat it, and more rewarding. Okay?

DarthMohawk1
DarthMohawk1
19 posts
Nomad

How the heck does Chain Hit even work in this game? I can't find a single good answer on the subject. It shows a distance instead of number of targets. Does it hit EVERYTHING within that range? One thing per tile for the length of that distance?

Chain Hit, as far as I can tell, only hits one extra monster. It reads "length" because powering up your chain hit component increases the distance the second shot moves.
ThomasSpeedrunner
ThomasSpeedrunner
155 posts
Nomad

Chain Hit, as far as I can tell, only hits one extra monster. It reads "length" because powering up your chain hit component increases the distance the second shot moves.

Wrong. Works the same way it always has. "Length" is how many monsters it hits. Simply shown a different way. Wasn't changed at all.
thunderrider
thunderrider
641 posts
Peasant

Mmm not sure but I think in tower it is length it can hit 2 monsters, and trap its the amount of monsters on one tile that it can hit(traps have 0 range).

pewpewsword12
pewpewsword12
24 posts
Shepherd

The length represents how far it will chain to another monster. Once it hits that monster the chain length will be repeated. if it hits another monster, another chain hit. and so on. this is represented by the orange circle once the monsters are hit.

pewpewsword12
pewpewsword12
24 posts
Shepherd

also note that it doesn't stack with range. it only stacks within the initially hit monster. (the original length range)

Showing 376-390 of 465