5,082 posts

Where did you get "doomsday" from??

Posted May 4, '14 at 9:16am

weirdlike

weirdlike

622 posts

Knight

The first letter of each line. For example:

"Do you know the difference between grammar and spelling? Because this is just bad spe1ling."

The first letter is a D.

Posted May 4, '14 at 1:25pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

5,082 posts

...I literally used the exact same hidden message puzzle as the solution?

I was that close again? Seriously?

So it's like the first puzzle. I got within one step of solving it and gave up, then weirdlike finished it.

Posted May 4, '14 at 1:56pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,433 posts

I am looking for feedback on this thing.

Did you enjoy it?
What was the most/least fun?
What was the most/least difficult?
What was the most frustrating?
Would you participate again if given the opportunity?
Would you participate in something bigger?
What should I call this thing?
Feel free to add any other feedback not covered by the questions above.

Edit: Would you be opposed to the puzzle-solver (for individual puzzles or the overall puzzle) receiving special advantages (for another puzzle) or a special prize in future engagements (i.e. one that is different from those who participated and/or worked together, but did not come up with the answer first)?

last edited May 04 2014 03:09 pm by Gantic

Posted May 4, '14 at 2:51pm

weirdlike

weirdlike

622 posts

Knight

I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but I enjoyed the team aspect of it, bouncing different ideas around, finding the little connections and putting it all together. The only part that felt competitive was the last portion which was the secret word.

It's too bad that there was that extra line. I had noticed the word "beginnings" shouldn't really have the s there and already tried checking the first letters and got up to ODO?MS... then discarded as a dead end.

All in all I would definitely join games of this type, I cant think of a name that really pops but I'm leaning towards something like "cryptic bunny hops", or "down the rabbit trail".

Posted May 4, '14 at 3:14pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,433 posts

It's too bad that there was that extra line. I had noticed the word "beginnings" shouldn't really have the s there and already tried checking the first letters and got up to ODO?MS... then discarded as a dead end.

This is a pitfall that is hard to avoid when solving things. Sometimes your assumptions are wrong, which is why you can't move forward. Other times, you're right there but you just come short of it and turn around.

I cant think of a name that really pops but I'm leaning towards something like "cryptic bunny hops", or "down the rabbit trail".

Perhaps the phrase you are looking for is "down the rabbit hole". I wouldn't be opposed to calling these "Rabbit Holes", but ideally, I'd like to get the other mods in on this (and maybe sometimes the Knights as well), but the mods are busy folk, except for me right now, so something less leporine might be more generally applicable.

I forgot to include a question, which should be on there right now.

Posted May 4, '14 at 5:33pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

5,082 posts

I'll post a full review later, but I'll say for now that I don't think anyone should get a special advantage at the start of a puzzle. I think the person who solved it should be rewarded, and I think that person should be allowed to choose, say, two other people (who they believe helped them the most) for a second reward of less value or something.

So, if I solved a puzzle, I would go back and determine who helped me the most in finding the solution. That encourages people to help others rather than impress the judge.

Posted May 4, '14 at 6:50pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,206 posts

the mods are busy folk, except for me right now, so something less leporine might be more generally applicable.

Watchoo need help with Gantic, I'm done with finals, I just got out of the shower, LETS DO DIS

Posted May 4, '14 at 6:59pm

weirdlike

weirdlike

622 posts

Knight

I wouldn't be opposed to advantages or dis-advantages as long as were still having fun. Right? :P

Posted May 4, '14 at 7:32pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

5,082 posts

Did you enjoy it? Ultimately, yes.
What was the most/least fun? Most: making a connection. Least: waiting for feedback.
What was the most/least difficult? Most: figuring out what the point was initially. Least: admitting defeat.
What was the most frustrating? "You're forgetting something."
Would you participate again if given the opportunity? Yeah.
Would you participate in something bigger? Probably.
What should I call this thing? "Why don't you help us, you monster?"
Feel free to add any other feedback not covered by the questions above.

Some initial instructions would have been lovely. "Here is text." Okay, now what? Hello?

This would have worked if the first post was the sentence created from the first puzzle. "Solve this puzzle to find the reason why you're solving this puzzle" is not an encouraging incentive. I did it because you got lucky and managed to strike that OCD part of my artist brain where I get locked onto something and won't stop until I'm satisfied. Some kind of introduction was necessary, and the thread title is too vague to qualify.

Would you be opposed to the puzzle-solver (for individual puzzles or the overall puzzle) receiving special advantages (for another puzzle) or a special prize in future engagements (i.e. one that is different from those who participated and/or worked together, but did not come up with the answer first)?

Like I said before. It wouldn't be as exciting if someone had a special advantage, which I assume means a starting clue no one else gets. That would just require the person to work harder than everyone else and post their results (or do nothing until everyone else catches up to them). Or they would just post the clue right away to help everyone else out.

A prize or reward of some kind is in order. Heck, I'd be happy with just a Quest, as it is the standard for rewards on AG. The solver should be rewarded initially of course. However, it would be good if a few other people were rewarded as well, since some did a lot of work and some just built up from there. Rather than the judge selecting who they decided contributed the most, let the winner pick at least one or two people that helped them specifically. People would have to work harder to impress each other rather than the moderator by providing their work.

I was initially going to withhold my text from the first puzzle until I had solved the whole thing so I could post it all at once and show off. Instead I posted what I had, which led to a lot more development in much less time. I wouldn't want to have figured 90% of it out, only to have someone else solve the last bit and post the solution, earning all the credit from much less work. Granted, as of now I'm just glad it was solved, but I would want to know if my contribution was important. weirdlike was kind enough to give R2 and I a shout-out when he solved it. If prizes are awarded, they should be done in a similar fashion.

Reply to I want to play a game...

You must be logged in to post a reply!