ForumsForum GamesAnyone interested in playing an Evolution RPG?

36 10170
Tossavainen
Tossavainen
402 posts
Peasant

So, I have an idea for a forum RPG. It's not in any way a brilliant new idea- It's been done before. But the thing is, it hasn't been done in quite a while, as far as I've seen, so... I was thinking of bringing it back.

http://puu.sh/8WIHU.jpg

(That's not necessarily the name of the game in the image above - It's just something I made a while back that fits the theme)

Basically:

The idea is that you start as a little spit barely worthy of being called a member of a species in a vast ocean, and your job is to get up onto land (or not, whatever) and evolve into a great roaming herd of creatures - That you get to design! Well... Provided that you can make it with the options I give you. That's the thing I'm currently working on: How to really give the player freedom on what they want to become, without letting them break the game. I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Another thing is that- well, I fancy myself a bit of an artist, so... If you'd like, I can at any point give a shot at making a rendition of how I see your creature. And it doesn't stop there, I'll probably be using some illustration throughout the game to give the player a better idea of things. That said, I think the players themselves should be in charge of how they see the world inside their head, and not limited to my view of things.

But before I put in too much effort into this, I'd just like to know whether people are actually interested in playing a game such as this. If enough people say that they might be willing to give it a try, then it's settled.

I wish I could give you more info on the game, but there's still a lot to do and things are subject to change. I suppose I can tell you that the game will be multiplayer and the players will be interacting with eachother. But aside from that- oh! I almost forgot.

There's an extra special side to the game that I'm considering. It would truly add a twist to the way the game works. You see, I might make it so that the player has an option whether they play as a creature that evolves and so forth, or a HUNTER whose job is to hunt down specific creatures. How this would be balanced, I still don't know, but like I said, I'm considering it. Because it sounds pretty sweet. So, I'd especially appreciate some feedback on this aspect.

I was planning on making a more thought out post about this later, but I figured I should just make sure my work is not wasted. I'm sure you understand.

So... What do you say?

• 36 Replies
JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

I'm in.

danwar123
danwar123
3,075 posts
Jester

Mee too!

This also reminds me of spore.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

There was a forum game like this a few years back, don't ask how I know.

Tossavainen
Tossavainen
402 posts
Peasant

I'm in.

Good to hear! While we're here, do you have any suggestions or anything of things you might like to see in the game or... Perhaps feedback on that one idea?

Mee too!

This also reminds me of spore.

Ah, delightful! Yes, Spore may have been among the things that I've gotten my inspiration from, and you may certainly be able to recognize some aspects! But just to clarify, this game won't be based completely on anything existing.

Another somewhat inspiring title I recall playing ages ago was called E.V.O.: Search for Eden. Overall, it was an average little game, but it did have some mechanics that stuck in my mind.

There was a forum game like this a few years back, don't ask how I know.

Yeah, I've seen them coming and going every now and then. I do remember them being most popular a few years ago. Don't worry, I wont ask how you know. But I'll admit, I am curious!
Snag618
Snag618
6,704 posts
Blacksmith

You know what? I'm in.

Garriss
Garriss
1,023 posts
Nomad

I have endured months of waiting just for a game like this to be made again.

God, do you remember CaP? I hope I will reach that level of enjoyment again in this game.

Darktroop07
Darktroop07
3,592 posts
Shepherd

I shall loyally join.

Tossavainen
Tossavainen
402 posts
Peasant

You know what? I'm in.

Perfect! Again, do let me know if you have any suggestions, feedback, or anything of the sort. I'll be taking my time to develop this thing, so we might as well have a chat about it in the meanwhile.

I have endured months of waiting just for a game like this to be made again.

God, do you remember CaP? I hope I will reach that level of enjoyment again in this game.

I had the feeling there might be a hidden audience for these kinds of games.

CaP? It might ring a bell but I can't quite put my finger on it.. Could you tell me the full name of the game? In any case, I hope so as well!

I shall loyally join.

Loyally, you say? Well, I'm flattered. But don't make promises you can't keep! Not to bring the mood down or anything, but the game could always turn out different to what you're expecting. Thanks though!
Garriss
Garriss
1,023 posts
Nomad

Create a Planet 2 and 3, I'm not sure if you played in it, I just remembered. It's not a direct evolution survival thing though, it's more like a sandbox for the gods. Hope this succeeds Toss

danwar123
danwar123
3,075 posts
Jester

When ya gonna make a kickstarter?

anewbeginning
anewbeginning
379 posts
Nomad

I'm interested too.

Tossavainen
Tossavainen
402 posts
Peasant

Create a Planet 2 and 3, I'm not sure if you played in it, I just remembered. It's not a direct evolution survival thing though, it's more like a sandbox for the gods. Hope this succeeds Toss

Oh, of course, I remember those games! Yes, I remember being particularly interested in the idea, but I don't think I ever signed up. Anyhow, thanks old chap!

When ya gonna make a kickstarter?

A Kickstarter, eh? How much would that differ from this current topic though? I'm sure this serves the purpose for now, I'd rather not make multiple topics on the same.. topic. Or what exactly did you have in mind?

I'm interested too.

Good to have you on board, friend! If there are any opinions that you'd like to share, I would be willing to hear them. Feedback is what I need, at the moment.
danwar123
danwar123
3,075 posts
Jester

Like,for the RPG?

Garriss
Garriss
1,023 posts
Nomad

So can we help in any aspect of the game you might have trouble in?

Tossavainen
Tossavainen
402 posts
Peasant

Like,for the RPG?

What I'm asking is, do you really think I should make an additional kickstarter topic aside from this one?

So can we help in any aspect of the game you might have trouble in?

It's not like I'm having any major problems at the moment, but as far as ideas and feedback go, yes, I'm definitely interested in hearing what you guys think should be in the game! The game is at such early stages, and in the interest of making the game more enjoyable for the players, your suggestions can really have an effect. But if you mean like, help with hosting the game or something, I'd like to think I'll manage. But thanks!.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'll see if I can update you folks with some more information about the game soon! Perhaps including a loose draft of the backstory, maybe even a map of the world... etc! But it's all just brainstorming at the moment, like I said, nothing's set in stone.
Showing 1-15 of 36