ForumsWEPRcan you beleive this?

27 12473
awsomejazz123
awsomejazz123
346 posts
Scribe

the government is "supposedly" thinking that a zombie attack could happen...really? what do you think?

• 27 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

If a zoombie breakout happened just wait. Eventually their muscles will break down due to them not being able to repair like ours do.

Shouldn't rigor mortis make them sitting ducks, anyway?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Shouldn't rigor mortis make them sitting ducks, anyway?

Since they can still move the effects of rigor mortis might be lessened. Also the effects only last for about two days. In which time the zombies would then be able to move about just fine again. In all likely hood wouldn't have all the zombies going into rigor at the same time unless we were dealing with a bunch of people who were killed all around the same time.

Though pang has a point, their muscle tissue would eventually break down leaving them very slow and weak, even if we started with runners.
Kennethhartanto
Kennethhartanto
241 posts
Constable

Just one question, is there any way for a zombie apocalypse to happen logically? Because i don't see any candidate for an agent that can cause this condition, the ones that can reverse death. even if the agent somehow overcame death of it's host and somehow resurrected it, how can it fight rigor mortis and decay?

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Just one question, is there any way for a zombie apocalypse to happen logically? Because i don't see any candidate for an agent that can cause this condition, the ones that can reverse death.

If you discard the death part, yes. Parasites, bacteria, or drugs could all change/affect the brain and induce cannibalistic/mindless/aggressive behavior. Rabies is pretty close actually, except for it kills the host not too long after symptoms present themselves.
Voyage2
Voyage2
650 posts
Nomad

If this happening in video games this if fun for you. Wish to have a Zombie Apocalypse ? Still fun for you, but happening in real life this isn't fun. You will just realized that you were wrong. Will you believe some scientist experimenting zombie things ?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

is there any way for a zombie apocalypse to happen logically?

There's an amazing fungus called cordyceps that infects the brain of an insect and basically controls it. David Attenborough talks about it here:

Of course, it's not really apocalyptic, but it is pretty neat!
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

If you discard the death part, yes. Parasites, bacteria, or drugs could all change/affect the brain and induce cannibalistic/mindless/aggressive behavior. Rabies is pretty close actually, except for it kills the host not too long after symptoms present themselves.

I remember reading a popular science article on the subject. It theorized that the virus would have to be some sort of prion that only attacked the morality centers (or something like that) of the brain. Honestly, technically living zombies are the only way we are likely way we ever going to have them, viruses like Solanum aren't exactly physically possible.

p.s. Does the T-Virus kill the host, or are those technically living like the Mad Person Disease from Zombieland?

~~~Darth Caedus
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Honestly, technically living zombies are the only way we are likely way we ever going to have them, viruses like Solanum aren't exactly physically possible.

There is also the "meat puppet" sort of zombie. This is where a parasite of some sort wears and moves around in the dead body making it look as if the dead host is still alive.

Sort of like an Edgar suit...

p.s. Does the T-Virus kill the host, or are those technically living like the Mad Person Disease from Zombieland?

T-Virus I think leaves them alive but severely mutates the victim making so that the individual cells of the body can work practically independently from each other. Still a rather unrealistic scenario.

For living "zombies" 28 Days Later would be a good example of a "zombie virus" that could possibly happen in some form in real life.
awsomejazz123
awsomejazz123
346 posts
Scribe

resident evil is a good zombie/virus game. my friend told me that it would kinda be like that except with all the different races of zombies.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

There is also the "meat puppet" sort of zombie. This is where a parasite of some sort wears and moves around in the dead body making it look as if the dead host is still alive.

That one likely wouldn't work for real, though, because once the person is dead the brain is quickly irreversibly damaged, and I don't see a parasite or virus doing the brain's job instead. I'm pretty sure you need some working cerebral structures to manipulate to begin with, and that requires a living host (which also sort of voids the debate about decaying muscles and zombie motility).
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Sort of like an Edgar suit...

Yeah, I don't see the Edgar suit being viable (and wouldn't a bug that big die due to not having an internal skeleton?)

For living "zombies" 28 Days Later would be a good example of a "zombie virus" that could possibly happen in some form in real life.

Except for maybe the 1 drop of blood infection, that just seems ridiculous imo.

~~~Darth Caedus
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Seems you failed to pick up on what I was getting at. No I'm not talking about a huge bug that clearly wouldn't even fit inside a human host. (that was a bit of humor) Though the basic mechanics of it could work. It wouldn't be the parasite (or whatever) manipulation the decaying muscles of the host corpse to move about. It would be the parasite itself moving about inside that would cause the corpse to move.

Perhaps think of it in Terminator terms. In that movie we have a robot wrapped in an artificial living organic construct. For the sake of my illustration, let's say instead the Terminator found a human, gutted them and wore the dead flesh and muscle instead of the living stuff it normally uses. From all appearances it would be a corpse walking around rather than a machine wrapped in a dead body.

If we were to go with an organism that simulated the nervous system the only way possible I could see for that to work would be an artificial lifeform intentionally tailor made to produce what we think of as a zombie. Such an organism would also have to alter the skin and muscle of the host to prevent decay and allow it to continue manipulating the body or technically keep the body alive while just replacing the brain and/or nervous system.

Except for maybe the 1 drop of blood infection, that just seems ridiculous imo.

If it were infectious enough it could be possible. Particularly if the human body had no real defense against the particular pathogen. In that case virtually any amount would be enough as it could then spread unchecked by the immune system.
Showing 16-27 of 27