Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

I want to play another game...

Posted Jun 6, '14 at 11:27pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,061 posts

Are you prepared to go down the rabbit hole again?

Some of you may remember "I want to play a game...". Some of you won't, in which case, you might have memory problems or just weren't on the forums at the time (but that doesn't mean you don't have memory problems). The puzzles are back. This time, things will work a bit differently. There are still puzzles, but there is also a poorly cobbled together storyline to go with it! Yay!

You can follow the story here:
"The Forumnauts and the Quest for ???"

Along with the story will be puzzles to be solved. As the Puzzlesmaster, I am the only user with the correct solutions to the puzzles. Also, I will not be giving any hints or clues directly. In the event that a puzzle is unsolved for too long, clues will be provided in the subsequent story updates with the aid of the Knights. Yes, some of the Knights are joining in on this misadventure. They will aid in plot and clue-giving if necessary, but they do not know the solution.

The original game 'ended' with the secret word being posted in the secret thread. In this game, there will be multiple secret words and secret secret words that can be posted to the secret thread to receive credit (and merit) for solving the puzzle correctly. Credit defaults to whoever actually solved it, so if you post the secret word but someone else solved the puzzle the right way, that someone else will receive the credit. Not every puzzle will have a secret word, but the secret word is required to solve some puzzles.

Keep an eye out for secret secret words. They're like Easter eggs and don't really help with the puzzles.

In summary:
Story, puzzles, and clues come from the story thread. Please do not post there.
Secret words go to the secret thread. Post there if you have a secret word or secret secret word.
Puzzle discussion can go on in this thread.

The first puzzle is up. Get solving!

last edited Jun 06 2014 11:49 pm by Gantic

Posted Jun 6, '14 at 11:42pm

R2D21999

R2D21999

8,427 posts

Ok, I think part of the game thing has to do with what Gantic said on the story thread, which was;

Please do not post to this thread if you are not approved. Unapproved posts will be removed.

If you can't tell, those 2 sentences rhymed. Why it should matter? I have no idea, but everyone knows Gantic has something up his ears.

Posted Jun 6, '14 at 11:48pm

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

1,546 posts

TO THE KNIGHTS OF ARMOR GAMES,

IT HAS COME TO THE ATTENTION OF ____ ___ THAT _____ __
________ ___ ____ ________.
FOR THE _____ OF THE _______.

Posted Jun 7, '14 at 1:32pm

R2D21999

R2D21999

8,427 posts

I'm interested in how you got that Fish.

Posted Jun 7, '14 at 1:53pm

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

1,546 posts

A single line with a comma suggests that it's a letter format, like "Dear Soandso,". He said it was for the knights, so the most logical wording is "To the knights of Armor Games". The rest was just inferred by the number of letters in each word. On that note, the last word might be kingdom.

Posted Jun 7, '14 at 8:52pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,631 posts

But none of the letters follow the pattern of a basic cipher (each letter being replaced with a different letter of the alphabet). I'm a bit concerned that DB BNL translates to TO THE. Unfortunately, "OO," appears as a single word, and no word in English is composed of two identical letters, so we're dealing with something far more painful than I'd hoped.

Well. One method of solving a complex cipher is identifying repeated letters or words. Some letters are repeated far more often than others ("E" is used more frequently than any other letter, for example, but since the letters keep changing this isn't particularly helpful). The same applies to some words, especially short ones like "a," "the," "and" and "to."

Only one letter appears as a single word: "S." S, therefore, is a one-letter word.

Here are the only repeated words and the number of repeats:

HX (2)
WL (2)
VY (2)
BU (2)
GP (3)
AAW (2)
GPK (3)
NVJ (2)
NUY (3)
MZO (3)
LRRAK (2)
RBTE (2)
NKSSY (2)

Not very helpful, I'm afraid. However! Those words also appear back-to-back several times:

AAW RBTE NKSSY (2)
VY LRRAK (2)
NUY MZO (3)

And, best of all,

NUY MZO TTUYR GP GPK RBFQQWS (2)

Other things of interest:
ZHEOGPOUZ KYZMZOBFQ is followed soon after by ZHEOJPKYX KYZMCOXJO. Note the similarities (same first four letters for both words).
DFSTPZZ is the third word in the letter. The word appear again later, but with the first two letters moved to the end (STPZZDF).
6 sentences total, plus the two separate ones at the end.

last edited Jun 07 2014 08:52 pm by MattEmAngel

Posted Jun 7, '14 at 8:54pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,631 posts

Seriously, "NUY MZO TTUYR GP GPK RBFQQWS" appears twice in that exact order, and the second time is at the very end of the letter. That has to be significant.

Posted Jun 7, '14 at 9:43pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,077 posts

Knight

I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Posted Jun 8, '14 at 1:34pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,061 posts

I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Nobody has any idea what they're doing anywhere.

Posted Jun 8, '14 at 5:04pm

daleks

daleks

3,235 posts

How long does it take you to come up with these Gantic?

Reply to I want to play another game...

You must be logged in to post a reply!