Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Just in case you had hope for humanity.

Posted Jun 14, '14 at 6:08pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,564 posts

Female named hurricanes kill nearly twice as many people because they aren't taken as seriously due to being perceived as feminine. Yep. Hurricanes, because of the gender of their name, are treated differently.

I think this may be terrific evidence that sexists are idiots, but meh.

last edited Jun 14 2014 06:09 pm by Kasic

Posted Jun 14, '14 at 6:21pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,222 posts

Knight

I have a strong feeling this is going to turn into another feminism thread.

Posted Jun 14, '14 at 6:54pm

Darktroop07

Darktroop07

668 posts

I have a strong feeling this is going to turn into another feminism thread.

Well let's hope people actually know what Feminism is.

Female named hurricanes kill nearly twice as many people because they aren't taken as seriously due to being perceived as feminine.

Doesn't heat kill more people than the rest of the other natural disasters?

Posted Jun 14, '14 at 7:02pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,564 posts

The thing I don't understand is why, even if you're a sexist, you would act differently towards a hurricane because of what it was named. It's not as if hurricanes have aspects of genders or they name hurricanes differently gendered names based on their severity. Is it that subconscious that they automatically associate feminine = weak = not a threat?

Posted Jun 14, '14 at 7:32pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,564 posts

Sorry for the double post. Was distracted earlier and didn't address Moon's post.

Well let's hope people actually know what Feminism is.

I recently had an in depth discussion about the topic. I've concluded that the term "Feminism" is as telling of a person's beliefs as the word "Christian." In other words, not very, as it changes extremely from one person to the next. Talking about Feminism like it's one cohesive thing or that any feminist's views have any bearing whatsoever on anyone else's or that there's an overriding way to look at feminism just leads to the same place doing that to a Christian does - the "Not all x are like that" and "I don't believe that."

Doesn't heat kill more people than the rest of the other natural disasters?

Natural disasters don't kill all that many people really. The bad ones make it seem like they do, but overall, they don't count for much.

last edited Jun 14 2014 07:36 pm by Kasic

Posted Jun 14, '14 at 9:42pm

SSTG

SSTG

10,753 posts

Knight

The thing I don't understand is why, even if you're a sexist, you would act differently towards a hurricane because of what it was named. It's not as if hurricanes have aspects of genders or they name hurricanes differently gendered names based on their severity. Is it that subconscious that they automatically associate feminine = weak = not a threat?

Could it be because they think it's not as dangerous as tornadoes?

Posted Jun 14, '14 at 11:22pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,098 posts

The thing I don't understand is why, even if you're a sexist, you would act differently towards a hurricane because of what it was named.

So...people are sexist and don't realize it, proven by the odd fact that society is less likely to prepare for a hurricane with a female name?

Personally, I don't think the real issue is sexism. Hurricanes are announced by category, with 1 being the least severe and 5, of course, being the most. Isabel, Katrina and Rita were all announced as being Cat 5 hurricanes (Sandy was a Cat 3). If that weren't enough, weather forecasters announce hurricanes by both name and category.

So it's not so much that people are sexist and ignore some hurricanes because they have female names. These people are also told what category said hurricanes are. If you don't want to leave a Cat 5 hurricane zone because you doubt the severity of the hurricane based on the name, you are stupid. It would be sexist if the decision was based on the name given alone. Kasic claims that this "may be terrific evidence that sexists are idiots." I think you have it backwards. The fact that news groups post the category (and the size and path of the hurricane) along with it seems to indicate that the people who didn't leave are idiots who are possibly unaware that they are sexist.

The problem, though, is that you need to fix stupidity first. Feel free to smother that last ember of hope in humanity.

Posted Jun 14, '14 at 11:27pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,564 posts

The fact that news groups post the category (and the size and path of the hurricane) along with it seems to indicate that the people who didn't leave are idiots who are possibly unaware that they are sexist.

Did you watch the link? They stated that researchers both examined all deaths from hurricanes and excluded outliers, finding that on average female named hurricanes cause twice as many deaths. They additionally did studies where they provided people with "information" about a fake hurricane and asked how likely they were to evacuate in the hypothetical, only switching the names between each, and found the same evidence. What else would it be except sexism?

Posted Jun 15, '14 at 10:26am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,934 posts

Knight

I think this may be terrific evidence that sexists are idiots, but meh.

In fact, it isn't, or likely isn't. I've read about this study; they also took into consideration whether the persons claimed to support gender equality or not. There was no difference. It just means that we all, subconsciously, perceive hurricanes with female names as less threatening than hurricanes with male names. It seems to bear no relevance about how you consciously consider males and females.

It does show however that we should definitely stop giving human names to hurricanes. Numbers should suffice. In the light of this study, keeping the status quo is highly irresponsible and can be considered criminal as it costs human lives.

last edited Jun 15 2014 10:28 am by HahiHa

Posted Jun 15, '14 at 12:07pm

09philj

09philj

807 posts

It does show however that we should definitely stop giving human names to hurricanes. Numbers should suffice. In the light of this study, keeping the status quo is highly irresponsible and can be considered criminal as it costs human lives.

Maybe we should name them deliberately threateningly? Such as Hurricane Vortex of Death?

Reply to Just in case you had hope for humanity.

You must be logged in to post a reply!