ForumsThe TavernBattle of medieval weapons V2 (Current battle: pg. 10)

102 46738
nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

i did this before but i was a noob and didn't do any pictures or anything an it just wasn't a good thread. but its dead now so here is a better version!

so here is what you do. 2 warriors fight in a one on one battle in flat terrain they are both equally skilled and have no armor but they have different weapons you vote on which one would win.

first battle.

Longsword

Vs

Broadsword

http://www.medieval-weaponry.co.uk/acatalog/S5710M-920-1.jpg

• 102 Replies
nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

i will give 2 more days

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

What was japanese armour made from? Papier Mache?

Wood, actually, and most plate armour designs have several points where a blade could be inserted quite easily by a nimble swordsman. I would vote for the katana (it being the only Japanese sword involved, the model name is irrelevant) due to its superior maneuverability.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Against an unarmoured, or lightly armoured foe, a katana is better due to it's lighter weight (only relative to the colossal claymore) and thus faster attack speed. If your foe has actually come prepared for a fight with anything like Medieval plate armour, a weapon with some real momentum and the strength to withstand multiple blows against armour is needed. A claymore would be better in this situation. (However, what is really needed is a BIG AXE.)

In short, my revised opinion is that if the opponent of the Katana user is covered in armour with no obvious gaps, the Katana is useless. If the opponent is unarmoured, I think a katana might just be slightly better.

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Ok I'm sorry for being so off subject two problems. When did they put on armor? It was never mentioned, it has nothing to do with the weapons, for that reason the armor is not relevant. There were countless sets of hand made armor in Japan, The Japanese would make their own armor using a variety of wood pieces, along with metal and bone beads. Basicly it prevented minor lacerations. My previos opinion still stands however (armor still not being relevant here) a katana (Fish has a point about the name) has an overruling speed factor. I don't think this is really the greatest matchup.

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

For the claymore, I thought that you were talking about the land mine. Anyway, I vote for the katana for two reasons. Excluding the cheap copies they make today, katanas are made of high-quality, durable steel. And second, Michonne uses a katana. (Walking Dead reference)

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

just clearing this up not the katana wielder or the claymore wielder has any sort of armor

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

what about a samurai?

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

what do you mean

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

@apldeap123 They are made of durable steel today. In the medieval era, they were made of low quality steel that was very brittle, and easily irreparably broken. A claymore was much stronger, and could be easily fixed as the steel was still mildly flexible.

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

If it were me wielding the sword, I would choose the katana. If my opponent had a claymore, he would have to be plenty strong to be able to defend himself effectively with that big heavy sword against my fast light sword. I'm assuming that neither of us are armored or have any warrior training.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

@gh0sts Also consider that the Katana itself must also be defended against the Claymore, and any other hard things struck at speed, due to it's brittleness.

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

Claymore: 3
Katana: 5

Winner Katana!

Next battle: (the last of the swords)

Foil:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeCpcCa0MP83rxYMqEegBSpE0_XnzkOEQZnaWbwiTnCYF_FV1yfA

Vs

Rapier:

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

lets see who all win!

Omegap12
Omegap12
1,980 posts
Shepherd

Raiper
Fancier, sharper, and harder.
But its not really my type of sword. i dont like fast, thin swords. They weak against pretty much every other weapon there is!

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

for some reason the rapier picture didn't show up but its right here:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSF89t-D9A_cZUkjBXk5gQiZxrx3Ibw-6EkQJ1Bu1f9t2W-azegog

Showing 16-30 of 102