ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121280
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
SirPuddington
SirPuddington
202 posts
Treasurer

Easily Attack on Titan.
(Pretty sure that's an anime) >.>
It has one of the best storylines I've ever seen from any other TV show. It's dark and somewhat realistic (except for the giant, man-eating people) >.> violence-wise (There's no such thing as too blood). Luckily there's a new season, as well as a couple of movies coming out soon, so there's good.

Movie wise, I'm not really too sure about that. There are a few that are just... So awesome. Howls Moving Castle is the only one I can think of at the moment that's epic (There are a few that are better, I just can't seem to remember them),so there's that. Gets kind of dark near the end though. ó_ó

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

@SirPuddington I have 3 words of advice for you. Watch. Better. Anime.

I started watching Samurai X, when I was a couple of minutes into the second episode I, like a total idiot, decided to look something up right quick and most likely got the whole thing spoiled for me. Since I've not had a chance to get super into it or anything I've decided I'll just not watch it for a few months and try to forget it.

SirPuddington
SirPuddington
202 posts
Treasurer

I don't really watch much, if any actual anime.
I'm a failure, don't look at me

Besides Samurai X, any other suggestions for me to look at? (I'd look through other posts on this thread, but honestly... I'm lazy).
Some of them do sound pretty great, and I have a lot of time to use.

Somewhat short shows (aka, not Bleach or that other one with like, 600 episodes) would be a great for a newbie anime watcher like myself.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

I'd look through other posts on this thread, but honestly... I'm lazy

No need to look through the whole thread, just check the first page. I've got a whole list up there.

aka, not Bleach or that other one with like, 600 episodes

So none of the HST, got it. Fooly Cooly (FLCL) is possibly the biggest WTF! series you'll ever come across and it's only 6 episodes long.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

@SirPuddington Watch Cowboy Bebop. Just do it.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

@SirPuddington An amazing *possibly my favorite show of all time* and very short (12 episodes) anime is Angel Beats.

Death Note is a pretty good mind-bender, some might tell you to stop after episode 25, I'd advise otherwise; the quality definitely goes downhill but it does pick back up.

Apart from those I can't think of anything short that isn't in his list that I thought was particularly amazing, but those should keep you busy for awhile.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Speaking of Death Note, I just finished it. I'd definitely put it in my top anime list. It is true however the quality kind of dies past 25, but around the end episodes it picks back up.

I also saw the first episode of RWBY, it was bad. I'm sorry but it was just bad. The art style made my skin crawl, it was too quick, and all of the characters' persona just felt the same.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I also saw the first episode of RWBY, it was bad. I'm sorry but it was just bad. The art style made my skin crawl, it was too quick, and all of the characters' persona just felt the same.

I entirely agree but:
(The following is taken from an IGN blog I wrote the other day.)

RWBY is absolutely riddled with problems. The pacing is completely inconsistent, exposition is often not fully expanded or else completely omitted, the writing is often cringe inducingly bad, the plot is all over the place (to the extent that if you haven't watched two of the trailers, you'll be a bit lost during volume 1.), the soundtrack has a tendency to cross the line from bold to over the top, and a lot of the animation makes the characters look like they aren't in full control of their limbs. And yet, and yet, I couldn't care less about any of that. I watched episode after episode back to back because I was completely hooked on it. I was entirely sucked in by the characters, the world they inhabited, the quirky humour and the ludicrous action, and I wasn't about to let something small like it only vaguely making some kind of sense spoil my enjoyment. Hell, I'm listening to the soundtrack while writing this. Seriously, you should watch it.

SirPuddington
SirPuddington
202 posts
Treasurer

I've seen the Death Note movies and a few of the episodes, they're not great, but they're worth watching, which is something

Angel Beats? I'll try and watch it later today, or whenever >.>
Not too sure what RWBY means though.

Apparently Fairy Tail is one of the best anime there is, but the vast amount of episodes isn't appealing to me. Any suggestions on watching it or not?

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

@sirPuddington

Seriously, watch Cowboy Bebop.

Not too sure what RWBY means though.

It's a RoosterTeeth web series.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Not too sure what RWBY means though

You can find the playlist on Roosterteeth's youtube channel. It was Monty Oum's first attempt at his own series so it has a lot of the same fast paced action of Haloid and the last few seasons of Red vs Blue. Start with the trailers (Red, White, Black, and Yellow) and if you're not hooked on the idea of girls with weapons that double as guns then I'm not sure you qualify as human.

Apparently Fairy Tail is one of the best anime there is, but the vast amount of episodes isn't appealing to me. Any suggestions on watching it or not?

It's a very mediocre series. I watch new episodes weakly to kill time but I would never call it a good series. Probably the best part of the series is its very "large" female characters who frequently tend to wind up in skimpy outfits or naked but still legally covered within Japanese censor laws. So if I recommended it I'd do so for the same reason I'd recommend Kill La Kill or High School of the Dead, it's got naked girls.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

So the last anime I've finished was Night Raid 1931.

Basically the anime is about a group of spies in Bangkok, China in the year 1931, before the start of WW2. They're also espers, people with super powers but that's not very important to the story.

But it's a pretty interesting anime, I'd recommend it if you're into stuff about WW2 and history in general.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

So I've already finished another anime called Kantai Collection: KanColle. This anime is basically about a bunch of girls transforming into battleships(more like wearing battleships) yes battleships. That idea alone gave me the reason to watch this thing.

Anyway, they're basically the navy and they of course are fighting a strange enemy, who are also battleships. However there's this one girl who recently joins who isn't very good, of course she's the main protagonist.

Anyways yeah, let me get this out-of-the-way. The anime characters are all female. Not that I have a problem with that, but usually anime where all the characters are girls have lots of fan service. That stereotype certainly lives on KanColle as well.

However, despite most of the girls wearing revealing clothing and bath scenes, I quite enjoyed KanColle. It was pretty fun to watch and it had it's action moments which were also pretty cool.

So I'd recommend this anime if you like action. However, if you're bothered by fan service, then this anime would not be for you.

Oh yeah, KanColle is also based on a game of the same name(I think) but who really cares?

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

So I've already finished another anime called Kantai Collection: KanColle. This anime is basically about a bunch of girls transforming into battleships(more like wearing battleships) yes battleships. That idea alone gave me the reason to watch this thing.

Sounds a little like Arpeggio of Blue Steel which has been up on Netflix for a while. Except, instead of transforming into battleships they're the AI that controls the battle ships of a mysterious, presumably alien, race. The plot is really thin and the "computers learning human emotions" aspect just seems to be used so that the main character can gather a small harem of battleships rather than to provide any moral lesson. I can't say I recommend it, but it's not the worst series out there if you need to kill time and it does have some decent action sequences.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I just watched episode 7 of Fullmetal Alchemist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXGd9BqUPu4

Showing 166-180 of 333