ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121621
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,779 posts
Chamberlain

I'm going to be watching Spirited Away in the next day or two and I have one question regarding it: Subbed or dubbed? Normally I go for dubbed but this doesn't have any English voice actors that I would associate with anime among other concerns.

Also, @Ishtaron you recommended Samurai X as a good action anime. I have a question about that show; Does it have a good, strong plot as well?

Samurai Champloo review to come.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Samurai X is about a former soldier who doesn't want to kill anymore trying to find his place in the world after a war. This being an action show set in feudal Japan that conviction to not kill is tested thoroughly. The last story arc isn't as strong as the previous ones and definitely comes across as more fantasy than historical fiction, but overall it's a fantastic series.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Wasnt samurai X the one where his blade is curved the wrong direction?

Had such nostalgia goggles.for it.....then I tried watching it again recent ;-;

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Wasnt samurai X the one where his blade is curved the wrong direction?

Had such nostalgia goggles.for it.....then I tried watching it again recent ;-;

I'm pretty sure the blade was just on the "wrong" side since they always called it a reversed blade sword in the show, but yeah that's the one. I admit that when I rewatched it a couple years ago it wasn't quite the same show I remembered through nostalgia. Apparently as a child I had forgotten a lot of the romance involved in the show and just pictured it as an all action samurai show with a few damsel in distress moments.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

@TheMostManlyMan Spirited Away is Studio Ghibli. Studio Ghibli do great, if not the best, dubs. I greatly prefer subbed to dubbed, and I still like Ghibli's dubs.

IgnoreMe
IgnoreMe
184 posts
Nomad

Having watched Kekkai Sensen, I can definitely recommend it. It might seem a little chaotic but it's actually really fun to watch. If you care about the soundtrack, it's rather jazzy

Kekkai Sensen gave me quite a good first impression but after some thinking, I find it to have a bit of similarities to Akame Ga Kill. You got a city filled with bad guys to the brim, an organization trying to stop the bad guys from taking over the city, the quirky hero with some noble cause to come to the city and some kinda power that evens out the odds for the heroes. It just seems like a stereotypical battle anime with a bit of comedy here and there. I'm still going to watch it and I might recommend it to my friends but it's not going to give any great impact to me. Kekkai Sensen is just another anime to pass the time.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,779 posts
Chamberlain

I finished watching Samurai Champloo the other day; it was alright.

After the first 4 episodes I fell in love, it was funny and clever, but after those first 4 episodes it lost most of that. At first I thought, and still do to a lesser degree, that it was a whole lot like Cowboy Bebop, but better *something I have reconfirmed having just finished the Cowboy Bebop movie this morning*. The story was....Better than it sounds; it didn't have a very good premise for a story, it's about a young girl trying to find "The Samurai Who Smells of Sunflowers." The story did end up being a lot better than it sounded, but it wasn't that all that good.

I'll probably go ahead and watch Samurai X after FMA: Sacred Star of Milos and Spirited Away.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

@ScrewTheLag If you like gory horror stuff you should watch the movie Gyo. I like to say it's Sheogorath approved. (the video is 8 minutes but you only need to watch for a couple seconds after what I linked)

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

@Ishtaron You might want to fix up your link. It leads to AG's Error page.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

I did fix the link, that's what the edit was for and it was working. One more try.

And armorgames apparently doesn't like links to Youtube today. Well, I guess Sheogorath won't be strangling anyone with their own intestines in joy.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I've started watching Cowboy Bebop. It's very good. A good balance of humour and awesome. Also, that theme tune.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

So just like @pangtongshu, I checked out Death Parade.

At the start I thought it was pretty interesting. Who wouldn't like a show where dead people lost their memories, including the memory of them dying and then being deceived by a bartender to play a game for their lives, when it only turns out the game is supposed to show the darkness inside the players to where they can be decided to either be reincarnated or be sent to the void. That's exciting stuff right there.

However, when it showed there was an actual plot, it didn't seem to be clear on what they were focusing the story on exactly. It seemed to be in random directions.

Also some of the characters they showed made no change to the story at all. One of these examples is an old man and even though he tried figuring out what was going on, he seemingly didn't do anything and hadn't changed anything.

So it was an alright anime.

D-Does someone like Gore around here?

Normally I don't care how gory the anime is just as long as it's good.

If it's gore you want, Blood C is an extremely gory anime. I haven't watched it myself so I can't tell you if it's good. However, I have seen some scenes and can tell you that it's very gory. Very.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,779 posts
Chamberlain

Well, I watched Spirited Away today. To be perfectly honest, it was one of the biggest disappointments I've had in awhile. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single thing that's fallen so short of its *post-release* hype. I just don't think that there was anything particularly special about it. I mean I did enjoy it and I do like it, but just not all that much.

I'm going to start watching Samurai X sometime tonight or early tomorrow morning.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I watched the first episode of Fullmetal Alchemist. It's very good. Didn't quite grab me like Cowboy Bebop, but still, great.

@TheMostManlyMan
*Walks out of door, down road, into field*
"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!"
*Goes home.*

Although I admit, it's an odd little film. Just because it's my all time favourite film, I don't usually expect people who didn't see it as children to like it.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single thing that's fallen so short of its *post-release* hype.

It does get overhyped pretty badly. Personally, I much prefer Princess Mononoke and Laputa to Spirited Away. The pacing is the biggest problem I had with it. The initial shock of her parents turning into pigs is quickly abandoned and then her memory loss turns what should be a series frightening traumas into a normal everyday occurrence.

Showing 151-165 of 333