ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121620
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,779 posts
Chamberlain

Just finished Soul Eater this morning. While I did thoroughly enjoy it *mostly the first half because it was funnier* the ending was nothing short of truly awful. It wasn't the worst ending I've ever seen, FMA: Conquerors of Shamballa and Ergo proxy both had much worse endings.

It could have actually had a decent story if it were only more about the Kishin they spent 20 episodes talking about the horror of. Instead though, they underplayed him and made it about Arachne, who was lame. I thought that they still could have made it good with the whole 'what's Death really up to' thing; but the way the just dismissed that by just saying that they had to keep it a secret made me really angry. Again, they could have at least had the ending make more sense and be funnier if it was someone wielding Excalibur that defeated the Kishin. Still though, it was quite funny, and that's worth something.

Is Soul Eater Not as funny as Soul Eater?

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

It could have actually had a decent story if it were only more about the Kishin they spent 20 episodes talking about the horror of. Instead though, they underplayed him and made it about Arachne, who was lame. I thought that they still could have made it good with the whole 'what's Death really up to' thing; but the way the just dismissed that by just saying that they had to keep it a secret made me really angry. Again, they could have at least had the ending make more sense and be funnier if it was someone wielding Excalibur that defeated the Kishin. Still though, it was quite funny, and that's worth something.

A lot of that is because the anime ended before they expected it to. The manga continued, and may still be ongoing, well past the Kishin's defeat (spoilers: he's not actually dead just resealed) with Arachne using her intellect to act as a main enemy instead of the raw power displayed by the Kishin. Then even later with Medusa overthrowing Arachne and becoming the main villain once again. By the end of the anime series the main characters are all still just 1 star meisters and weapons out of a 3 star rating system, but in the manga move up to 2 stars shortly after defeating the Kishin. Soul even becomes a death scythe.

Is Soul Eater Not as funny as Soul Eater?

Depends. Soul Eater NOT has more slice of life and drama elements to it than the original series because it follows students in the NOT (Normally Overcome Target) class rather than the EAT (Especially Advanced Talent) class that Soul Eater follows. You still get the same types of bizarre characters and there's even a fairly powerful witch who acts as the series antagonist, but mostly it's about a weapon with no combat skills getting used to life in Death City. It also kind of has a slight harem theme to it with the main character being highly desirable as a partner by multiple meisters.

dragontamer8
dragontamer8
6 posts
Nomad

I love watching anime. Who doesn't like anime?

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,779 posts
Chamberlain

Finished Angel Beats this morning, it was one of the saddest shows I've ever seen. Eleven hours later and I'm having trouble concentrating because I keep thinking about it. I loved, among many other things, how different it was from most anime out there. Definitely one of my favorite shows of all time.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Finished Angel Beats this morning
You know the pain Manly, I know the pain too, it's painful, quite painful.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,779 posts
Chamberlain

it's painful, quite painful.

I know, its 5:00 PM and I finished it at 1:00 AM and I'm still too depressed to have fun.
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

I love watching anime. Who doesn't like anime?

Everyone else in my family.. ;(

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,779 posts
Chamberlain

I finished Darker Than Black (would have finished it a day earlier if I had realized episode 26 was just an OVA [which I usually don't watch]) and while the show was good, I think it was also pretty over-rated. They really could have done a lot more with the show given it's premise. The premise of the show was really strong and it could have been a real mind bender if it wanted to. There was quite a bit I wish they would have explained, the back story of the gates, primarily.

I was going to ask @Ishtaron to explain why I shouldn't watch season 2 in a spoiler free way. But then I read the premise of it on wikipedia and was...less than impressed. A google search or two later and I found out I was right about season 2.

This isn't something I say very often at all, but I kind of regret not watching it subbed. One reason for that is because it did take place in Japan; but more importantly while the dubbed voice acting itself was good, many of the voices, mostly for minor characters (but there were enough of them), simply didn't fit the person. The voice acting for some of the more minor characters would have been perfectly fine....with a different character's body. That's just a minor complain though, and its not like I didn't have any choices in the matter.

After a couple of recommendations I'm going to watch The Girl Who Leaped Through Time. Since it does take place in Japan and the people who recommended it both watched subbed, I'll go ahead and follow suit.

But now I'm at that awful point again where I need to find something else to watch, because with only 5 minute episodes Hetalia won't last very long.

tl;dr
I finished Darker Than Black and it was good, but over rated. I'm also running out of shows that look interesting.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Recently I've been watching To Aru Kagaku no Railgun(I think it's A Certain Scientific Railgun in English). I really love it and I'm starting to turn into a fan of it. It's just so good.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I'd recommend Death Parade if you're into that kind of psychological stuff. Interesting premise, good animation, likable characters, glorious OSTs...what more could you ask for in an anime? Out of the not-very-many animes I've watched, Death Parade and Zankyou no Terror are the only two I've really enjoyed.
And if you're looking for a laugh, Assassination Classroom's the way to go. Though the premise is really weird, if you can get over that, it's enjoyable. My problem with it is that there's too many kids to remember the name of, but that's minor. Also there's a manga, so if you want to get more development, you can turn to that.
I'm looking forwards to One Punch Man, whenever that airs. I'd like to see Saitama's egg head animated. & guess what there's a manga for this too

R2, tell me about the Railgun thing, some people have recommended it to me along with Angel Beats.

Now let me talk about recent things that I wouldn't recommend, in case you're thinking about watching them.
Your Lie in April was supposed to be super sad and everything, but I didn't want to watch it. The fact that he was abused as a kid doesn't really get covered except for when they want to jerk feels by having the kid hallucinate and see his mother. Ah, yes, right, for messing up on piano, BEAT HIM!!! So naturally that would be traumatizing and probably triggering. So of course his jerk friend (Tsubaki? Tsubasa? Something like that) and the maniac pixie dream girl try to force him to play piano again by taping piano music all over his room and glaring at him, stuffing it in his locker, dragging him into a concert hall, throwing things at his head and making him bleed, hitting him with things, and that's all passed off as really humorous. It's kinda disgusting. I could rant about this for a while.
Tokyo Ghoul season 1 was okay. It didn't really fit the manga, but that's easy to accept. The second season, however, derailed it entirely, threw in random occurrences, "lol this guy's dead", and nerfed character development. If you want to get into this series, read the manga.
Parasyte started out all right, but it got a little slow after a while. After a certain person died, there wasn't much excitement, not even the "final battle" feeling. It's not that bad, though, watch it if you like.
Aldnoah.Zero is really boring. The first main character is a cardboard box with no weaknesses, and the other main character is obsessed with a naive girl who thinks she can stop a war, which she can't, despite her considerable political power. It has a "monster of the week" feeling to it for the first few episodes. And don't get me started on the guy with PTSD who hangs around and makes pessimistic, where the supposed cure was to RELIVE THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE AGAIN. I'm no doctor, but that's BS to me. I didn't bother to watch S2, though I hear that there was a major twist in the last episode.

The spring season looks like harem shows and bug-eyed garbage with some action thrown in for spice, but that's just me.

edit: tl;dr, watch Death Parade for feels and Assassination Classroom for laughs. YLIA seems to trivialize abuse, TGA has no character development, AZ is dull, and Parasyte is all right.

This is super long. I can't believe I spent ten minutes typing this up, I'm turning into a weeaboo

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Aldnoah Zero actually started off really good. The problem was that someone left the show after 3 episodes and the rest of the crew had no idea what to do with the plot. Originally the main character, Inaho, wasn't a Mary Sue he was just emotionally distant which made it easy for him to maintain Jotaro Kujo levels of calm in a fight. Then he got flanderized to hell and in the second season they gave him a magic bionic eye that could see the future. No, that's not a joke.
And SPOILERS, the big twist was that the naive princess ended the war by marrying the son of one of the orbital nights that tried to kill her and both Inaho and Slaine presumably lived the rest of their lives alone refusing to love anyone else. It was a really bad ending to a series that just kept getting worse the longer it went on.
END SPOILERS

Just so this page isn't all bad news about the winter season, Akatsuki no Yona ended its first season a couple weeks ago and I loved it. The series is mostly rather lighthearted with a few serious moments thrown in. It actually reminds me a lot of One Piece in that respect, you can spend entire episodes laughing at one characters antics but the moment it's necessary you can't help but be amazed at how ****** they suddenly become.

The spring season looks like harem shows and bug-eyed garbage with some action thrown in for spice, but that's just me.

That's what every season looks like. In a couple weeks when all the shows are out there will be about a dozen shows worth watching, half of which are long running shonen series.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,779 posts
Chamberlain

@StormWalker I will now become a part of "some people" and highly recommend Angel Beats. Its easily one of my favorite shows of all time. Its funny, happy and really sad (yes, I did cry a little after finishing it) and left me depressed and not wanting to do anything for a few days...But it was totally worth it.

I watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (twice) and it was nothing short of amazing (I'll probably watch it 2 or 3 more times this week.. It had effects very similar to, yet opposite of, Angel Beats. Similar in that it left me not really wanting to watch anything else, but opposite in that it actually left me feeling really happy all day. I highly recommend watching it.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

R2, tell me about the Railgun thing,

Basically it's about an esper girl, name Misaka, with lightning powers. She's in an all girl's school, in which basically everyone is an esper. The only difference is that she's a level 5 esper(which is a really big deal.) and everyone else in the school is a lower level. She's also rank 3 out of 7(I think it was 7) level 5 Espers.

So anyway, Misaka's dorm roomate is a Level 4 teleporting esper, named Kuroko, and she's part of a police force of some kind called Judgement. Usually the episodes involve Misaka helping out Kuroko.

I'm not really good at explaining stuff like this, but it's great trust me.

I also found out that Railgun is actually a spin-off of another anime called A Certain Magical Index. Of course I have to watch it after Railgun.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

So anyway, Misaka's dorm roomate is a Level 4 teleporting esper, named Kuroko, and she's part of a police force of some kind called Judgement. Usually the episodes involve Misaka helping out Kuroko.

Sounds a lot like Tokyo ESP minus the race equality overtones stolen from X-Men and set in a generic anime magic school. Let me guess, because of her power and beauty Misaka is super popular at school while Kuroko is something of a loser/outcast. There's a bunch of guys and girls who hover around Misaka but one lone love interest for Kuroko and she doesn't really notice him. And the main villains of the story arcs are all level 5 espers with higher rankings than Misaka forcing Kuroko and Misaka to work together to beat them. This causes a lot of implied romantic tension between the two of them that the show never acknowledges but shippers beat to death.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Let me guess, because of her power and beauty Misaka is super popular at school while Kuroko is something of a loser/outcast.

Well Misaka is popular, but she doesn't really accept it. She's not one of those rich daddy's girl types. Actually she's kind of nervous when people start getting all excited about her. But yeah, her power does get her some attention. However I don't know the full extent of their school life as it doesn't really show of their school that much.

Kuroko... she isn't an outcast but I'd put her in the same boat with Misaka, really. I'd think that with Kuroko being in Judgement and everything she'd get some attention. But of course, I don't know.

There's a bunch of guys and girls who hover around Misaka but one lone love interest for Kuroko and she doesn't really notice him.

Misaka has two other friends besides Kuroko. Both of which go to another school.

Kuroko well you're kind of right. She has one love interest, but it's actually Misaka. Kuroko doesn't hide it either as she constantly openly admits her affection for Misaka with her stalker-like ways. Often which are handled by Misaka's lightning blasts.

And the main villains of the story arcs are all level 5 espers with higher rankings than Misaka forcing Kuroko and Misaka to work together to beat them.

Nah, they're actually lower levels, but they cause serious trouble. However, Misaka never really uses her full power all that much. Also Misaka is seeing going alone against a single powerful esper becaue Kuroko is injured from fighting so many espers herself.

This causes a lot of implied romantic tension between the two of them that the show never acknowledges but shippers beat to death.

There is one boy that Misaka notices, but it's more like the original Pokemon with Ash and Misty, where Misty joins Ash because of her bike being destroyed. It's the same thing witn Misaka but every time she sees the guy, she constantly wants to fight him so she can prove something to him.

Wether they finally come together is up for the anime to decide. I still have 4 more episodes til the end.

Showing 121-135 of 333