ForumsWEPRMars

35 6713
Zerlock1124
Zerlock1124
93 posts
Nomad

Do you we'll ever live on Mars? If so, ever in our lifetime?

I personally think that science is getting to that point. but it will take 3 or 4 generations to get there, then another few years after that to make it safe for the general public.

• 35 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

There are far better alien locations for us to try to inhabit. I'm quite fond of Europa personally. At least we know there's liquid water there.

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

Or one of those moons that go around jupiter, it is made out of ice, but beneath that ice is water and organisms in the water, give it a few 100,000 years and you can get yourself some weird looking fishes, or what ever they have adapted to.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

All we need is to privatize the space industry and humans would be there much faster. NASA and other government run space agencies are a joke and a waste of tax dollars.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

@thelistman that is an interesting idea but only a government funded corporation would have the $$ nescessary to afford space travel of that length and so even if u dont like NASA i doubt its gonna change. Having said that Virgin are beginning to develop their earth to moon express which will be a commercial enterprise owned by a private company so that i guess is a step forwards.

gman1000
gman1000
977 posts
Nomad

I know that scientists are now working on how to convert dark matter into fuel. If this happens it can make a space craft travel at the speed of light. If this speed were attainable it wouldnt take long at all to reach mars. The question is, how long will it take for the scientists to find out how to harness this power. With the technology we have at the moment a manned mission to mars let alon colonisation is mind bogglingly expensive.The complications of a manned space craft include heating, food and water and enough fuel to return safely. It also has to be able to return safely which is costly in itslef

There is a theory though. This theory states that if you were to travel at the speed of light everything around you would age, but you would only age the time you had been traveling. Just a theory though.
Xcalibur45
Xcalibur45
1,830 posts
Farmer

honistly, I don't think we would. If we were capible of getting up there what would we do?

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

There is a theory though. This theory states that if you were to travel at the speed of light everything around you would age, but you would only age the time you had been traveling. Just a theory though.
This is true. On the average, because of the speeds that they are traveling, an astronaut comes back from a mission on the shuttle 2 seconds younger than how old he would have been if he stayed on Earth.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Well they actually had a documentary about getting humans on mars, but the problem is whether its a inhabitable planet.The only reason it would be more inhabitable than the moon is, because it has an atmosphere.The problem though is that there are no plant life forms on mars so there is no oxygen for us to breath, and plants wouldn't be able to be planted there becuase its uninhabitable for them as well, unless there is alot of co2 on mars to begin with.

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

There is a theory though. This theory states that if you were to travel at the speed of light everything around you would age, but you would only age the time you had been traveling. Just a theory though

This makes no sense to me?? How do you travel time?
DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

Err How would you travel through time by going really really fast?

(srry for getting so for off topic)

I still have a theory, that if we had trees on mars in a dome with oxygen, and we opened a hatch or a slit and let some Co2 come in and let the tree convert it and open another slit and let the oxygen out and did that a few 300 times it would be oxygen.

Devoirity
Devoirity
62 posts
Nomad

I guess, most possibly, yes, and in the next 30 years, with the world in a better state than it is right now, I guess we'll have a firm hold of it.

And Jesus Christ there's a lot of dumb myths around.

1. The best rocket system we have is, solid fuel + oxydiser, the next best, and in theory, is Nuclear power, using nuclear explosions.

2. Dark Matter, is invisble, can only be seen/detected by a massive gravity telescope.
Also, a centimeter cube of dark matter weighs, in theory, much more than the Earth.

3. Mars have an atmosphere, made mainly of Carbon Dioxide, this is great for plants, but sadly, the planet is too cold, and therefore, plants need to be insulated by greenhouse-like structures.

4. There is a very gravitational field, which means the surface is bombarded by solar radiation and there for uninhabitable.

5. There are no 'traces' of water in the soil, but there is actually, 2 ice covered poles.

6. There were no 'Bacteria' in rock samples brought back from Mars, they were, embarasslingly, just rock formations caused by ice crystals.

SpartanWarrior3
SpartanWarrior3
175 posts
Nomad

Yeah I think we might. We could also live on the Moon, but it would be hard since there is not one living thing up there.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@Devoirity-

1. The best rocket system we have is, solid fuel + oxidizer, the next best, and in theory, is Nuclear power, using nuclear explosions.

Nuclear engines are probably much more powerful than combustion engines as fusing a pinhead's worth of deuterium into helium releases more energy than burning several tons of coal.

3. Mars have an atmosphere, made mainly of Carbon Dioxide, this is great for plants, but sadly, the planet is too cold, and therefore, plants need to be insulated by greenhouse-like structures.

Yes it has a 95% carbon dioxide atmosphere, but it is extremely thin. At average surface elevation there are 600 Pa (Pascals) of pressure. Earth's mean surface pressure is 101,000 Pa nearly 2,000 times denser than that of Mars.

4. There is a very gravitational field, which means the surface is bombarded by solar radiation and there for uninhabitable.

Do you mean "very weak magnetic field?" A weak magnetic field (which Mars has) does not repel radiation.

5. There are no 'traces' of water in the soil, but there is actually, 2 ice covered poles.

There isn't actually water, liquid or frozen, in the soil, however rock formations and minerals in the soil lead to the conclusion that there was previously water on Mars. Also, the poles do not have frozen water, but frozen carbon dioxide.

6. There were no 'Bacteria' in rock samples brought back from Mars, they were, embarassingly, just rock formations caused by ice crystals.

There is a lot of disputed evidence for Martian life.

Please look up your facts before you post even if you do use Wikipedia.
dragoncrusher
dragoncrusher
773 posts
Peasant

I really dont think that will happen.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

well now that i no we can make air i really think we might be able to(give a few hundered years of course)

Showing 16-30 of 35