ForumsWEPRNibiru

8 5686
Ronomic
Ronomic
8 posts
Nomad

Click here to view the Wikipedia page about Nibiru. So, I have been hearing about this 'Planet' named Nibiru, or Planet X, which so happens to be the reason we may face the extinction of the human race. I COMPLETELY disagree with all of these Conspiracy Theorists about the so called 'Planet X,' and I would like to know your opinions of this conspiracy.

I've also heard it called, "The second Sun." But again, how would anyone be able to document the history so far back, farther than any race was alive. Even if the Neanderthals could document it, we woulds till be able to see the GINORMOUS Planet.

• 8 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

The rationalwiki.org article is also worthwile to read, albeit very short. But I think between those two articles everything is said:
Zecharia Sitchin claimed the existence of a 12th planet based on 'creative' interpretations of Sumerian texts, although it seems that the Sumerian Nibiru is probably simply Jupiter. Later on, Nancy Lieder claimed some kind of cataclysm involving a "Planet X", apparently foretold by aliens and to happen in 2003, and conspiracy theorists confounded it with Nibiru and said it would happen in 2012. Even Sitchin distanced himself from her claims. Considering all this, I see no reason to take any of this seriously.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Well, suppose it is December 2012. If such a massive planet was on collision course with Earth, set to collide with Earth on December 21, our observatories and space agencies would have known for at least 10 years given the telescopes and space obsevation technology we possess, while the last 2 years, the planet would be visible in the sky by everyone...

So yeah, aside from the obvious "we have no reason to believe it exists", now we have the" we have every reason to believe it doesn't exist", which is why I obviously don't take this scenario seriously...

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I COMPLETELY disagree with all of these Conspiracy Theorists about the so called 'Planet X,' and I would like to know your opinions of this conspiracy.

[...] and conspiracy theorists confounded it with Nibiru and said it would happen in 2012.

1 This has nothing to do with conspiracy. A conspiracy needs to involve at least one party that conceals the pseudofacts.
2 Please don't call any of these people theorists.
3 This sort of thing crops up all the time; usually because someone wants to believe that they can find answers to everything in some obscure passage of an ancient text. Even Newton had a doomsday prediction.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

So they do indeed have a party who conceals pseudofacts.

I stand corrected.

A theory can be any idea about anything, especially if that thing is not known to be true.

Pseudoscientists bandy the word about in the hopes that people will regard their postulations as scientific theories. There is no more reason to call these people "theorists" than anyone else who has ever had ideas about anything. This use of the term both lends them undue credibility and perpetuates misconceptions about what a scientific theory (and, therefore science) is.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Well, suppose it is December 2012. If such a massive planet was on collision course with Earth, set to collide with Earth on December 21, our observatories and space agencies would have known for at least 10 years given the telescopes and space obsevation technology we possess, while the last 2 years, the planet would be visible in the sky by everyone...

That was generally part of the conspiracy. That they did know and were hiding this from the public.

Maybe we should name one of these exoplanets we've discovered Nibiru just to mess with these people who believe this stuff.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Even Newton had a doomsday prediction.

Not many people know this but it is absolutely true. In fact, I think he predicted that the world will end in 2132.

That was generally part of the conspiracy. That they did know and were hiding this from the public.

Well, yes, but the last part shot down this theory... the part where this so called planet would be visible in the sky. Even a naked human eye would be able to see the planet for 2 whole years... So these people removed that part from their "theory".

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

@Ronomic Why did you even bring this up? I don't mean this in a reproachful way, I'm simply wondering. 2003 and 2012 are past, so this isn't of actuality anymore except maybe in some conspiracy website or another.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Well, yes, but the last part shot down this theory... the part where this so called planet would be visible in the sky. Even a naked human eye would be able to see the planet for 2 whole years... So these people removed that part from their "theory".

I think I recall some people pointing out things in the sky they claimed to be Nibiru. I think I also recall some conspiracy that aliens were hiding the planet from the general public.

Showing 1-8 of 8