ForumsWEPRSo here's a little ethical quandary...

7 5407
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

This is an idea that I had last night.

Let's say you are a scientist who discovers irrefutable evidence that your ethnic group, has significant genetic superiority to other ethnic groups. What do you do with said evidence?

Now here's another one. You discover a new source of energy that is similar to nuclear power in that it can be hypothetically applied to massive production of electricity, or the creation of the biggest bombs the world has ever seen. What do you do with your research?

I would destroy the first set of research and publish the second set, my reasoning being that the first discovery can bring no good to humanity if it comes out, whereas the second set, while it carries risk, would also provide a huge benefit if properly harnessed.

• 7 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Let's say you are a scientist who discovers irrefutable evidence that your ethnic group, has significant genetic superiority to other ethnic groups.
There is no such thing. No genome can be superior to another.

You discover a new source of energy that is similar to nuclear power in that it can be hypothetically applied to massive production of electricity, or the creation of the biggest bombs the world has ever seen.
So? The WMDs already in circulation are more than capable of extinguishing the majority of multicellular life. Adding more powerful weapons isn't going to make much difference as far as the human populace is concerned.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

There is no such thing. No genome can be superior to another.

I know that, it's a hypothetical scenario.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Let's say you are a scientist who discovers irrefutable evidence that your ethnic group, has significant genetic superiority to other ethnic groups. What do you do with said evidence?

If we are talking about an ethical point of view, I would keep that one a secret. Seriously. Reasons are so obvious if we want to eventually one day find equality.

Now here's another one. You discover a new source of energy that is similar to nuclear power in that it can be hypothetically applied to massive production of electricity, or the creation of the biggest bombs the world has ever seen. What do you do with your research?

I'd create my own company for electricity. Supply people with electricity for half the cost of electricity now. As for it being a new source for power in weapons, there's no avoiding it since someone's going to eventually figure out how I supply people with power for such a cheap price. I don't think nuclear war will happen anyways, with or without my new found source of power, nuclear deterrence will always do it's job.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

If we are talking about an ethical point of view, I would keep that one a secret. Seriously. Reasons are so obvious if we want to eventually one day find equality.

But can you truly say that equality is the most ethical route when one group is proven to be superior? Think about all the research that could be done regarding genetics, evolution, and medicine with evidence like that.

I'd create my own company for electricity. Supply people with electricity for half the cost of electricity now. As for it being a new source for power in weapons, there's no avoiding it since someone's going to eventually figure out how I supply people with power for such a cheap price. I don't think nuclear war will happen anyways, with or without my new found source of power, nuclear deterrence will always do it's job.

That would require a huge initial investment. You'd probably have to sell the technology to the military to afford it.

I'd publish the first and liscence the second to governments stable enough I don't have to.worry about them using WMDs. There's no value in hiding knowledge about genetics, and racism will continue for generations no matter what I do with it. As for the energy source, governments already monitor nuclear development in hostile nations so I might as well let them keep doing their job.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

im not a very strong person so naturally id just push the responsibility on someone else lol.

but to be honest, i think the jews are hated enough without giving this as another reason lol. and if you dont see jews as an ethnical group for some reason, i dont think proving that germans are superior would be very well accepted for obvious reasons lol.

i read that somewhere...
anyway, id share it. i dont think i have to take the responsability of people using knowledge for evil.

I would destroy the first set of research and publish the second set, my reasoning being that the first discovery can bring no good to humanity if it comes out

sure it would... by breeding we could make humanity stronger, smarter and more pregressing. if we picture a world that accepts this but is still moral and friendly, it could be a pretty good world.

still, unfortunately we dont live in such a world so yeah...

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

but to be honest, i think the jews are hated enough without giving this as another reason lol. and if you dont see jews as an ethnical group for some reason, i dont think proving that germans are superior would be very well accepted for obvious reasons lol.
But what if the Jews turn out to be the superior ethnicity?

sure it would... by breeding we could make humanity stronger, smarter and more pregressing. if we picture a world that accepts this but is still moral and friendly, it could be a pretty good world.
Many people have tried. The primary problem with selectively breeding the human population is that it invariably impinges upon someone's human rights. And, unless you sterilize everyone with an "inferior" pedigree (which has also been tried) there isn't much you can do about population control.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

But what if the Jews turn out to be the superior ethnicity?

thats what i meant. another reason to hate jews. when someone hates you, their gonna use the bad things about you as excuses and the good things as reasons to personally despise you. just stirs more anger.

Many people have tried. The primary problem with selectively breeding the human population is that it invariably impinges upon someone's human rights. And, unless you sterilize everyone with an "inferior" pedigree (which has also been tried) there isn't much you can do about population control.

i didnt mean as making the only humans in existance superior. just creating some superior humans so they can invent things, solve world hunger etc. and if some race was discovered to be superior i think it would be rather popular. i think breeding superior humans wouldnt be that difficult even without force.

Showing 1-7 of 7