ForumsThe TavernWhat's your Random Phobia?

64 25677
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Remember the thread R2 made about random superpowers (once again, great idea R2! Thanks!)? Well, I decided it was time for some...aggressive expansion.

Same rules. Go to the wiki (found here) and click that random page button. Let's see what you are afraid of...

My phobia for today would be:

Deprecorophobia

The fear of curses...hmm odd.

• 64 Replies
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

You conservative little robot

Philophobia

The fear of love, being in love or falling in love. That's just grand. Solitude, here I come!

Armour12345
Armour12345
62 posts
Bard

http://phobia.wikia.com/wiki/Hedonophobia
The fear of feeling pleasure, like happiness, love, and proudness. Never!

etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

Uranophobia, or ouranophobia, fear of the sky and Heaven!

crud, i wanna go to heaven.

lets see if i can figure out this link thing:[url=http://phobia.wikia.com/wiki/Uranophobia]

however, one i would like is Stygiophobia! fear of hell!

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

@etg2002 Here is how to post a link:

- Click the blue link button and paste the URL (like you did). Then type something (or paste the URL again) and then click the blue "Link" button again, to "end" it (when you click it for a second time, you will notice that it wil be a "/link" button instead

So, in your case, it would be:

Uranophobia

[url = *insert URL*]Uranophobia [/url]

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

- Click the blue link button and paste the URL (like you did). Then type something (or paste the URL again) and then click the blue "Link" button again, to "end" it (when you click it for a second time, you will notice that it wil be a "/link" button instead

Alternatively, type something (like the name of the phobia), then highlight it, click the "link" button and insert the link. It'll do the brackets automatically around the highlighted part.
Automysophobia
The fear of being dirty. Might as well combine this with a random water superpower => endless showers and cleanliness
Frank_Frooton
Frank_Frooton
4,002 posts
Bard

I got prasinphobia, fear of the color green. In case anyone was wondering, no, i am not scared of the color green. Santaphobia's better. I think people can guess what that's about without the link.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

The wiki in question greatly exaggerates the meaning of the word “phobia”. If people were to pay attention to what a phobia actually is (phobia is defined as an extreme or irrational fear), stupid wikis like this would not exist. For example, I think it is very safe to say that no one has ever had prasinphobia ^. You might dislike the color green, but feeling extreme fear when you see it or hear its name mentioned? C’mon, give me a break. Let’s continue. My fear of being attacked by dogs is probably a little extreme, so I guess you could say that I have whatever phobia that is (I can’t remember the Latin root for dog, and I’m not about to scour this stupid wiki looking for it). Some phobias like this are real (claustrophobia, etc…), and mine of dogs is actually founded on something; I’ve endured two attacks from both a pitbull and German shepherd. I managed to get away from both without serious injury, but my mind always starts racing whenever I’m walking down the street and some big dog is growling at me from behind a tiny fence, cont...

The political misuse of the word phobia...

... Another HUGE misuse of the phobia word is in the case of trans, homo, and whatever sort of other names there are for pervert-sexuals. I have never met anyone who was afraid of these individuals; I’ve met lots of people who strongly disliked these individuals, but none who actually feared them. Terminology like this is ONLY used in a lame attempt by liberal trend-setters to make straight people look like irrational monsters. Quite frankly it’s wholly ineffective, pathetic, and nauseating.

In short, just because you can put the Latin root for something at the beginning of the word phobia doesn't mean that that thing actually exists!!!!!!!

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

... Another HUGE misuse of the phobia word is in the case of trans, homo, and whatever sort of other names there are for pervert-sexuals. I have never met anyone who was afraid of these individuals; I’ve met lots of people who strongly disliked these individuals, but none who actually feared them. Terminology like this is ONLY used in a lame attempt by liberal trend-setters to make straight people look like irrational monsters. Quite frankly it’s wholly ineffective, pathetic, and nauseating.

Terms such as homophobia or xenophobia are not meant to qualify a clinical phobia, everyone understands it means a hatred towards homosexuals or outsiders. With the first part, you run in open doors, screaming; but you add what seems in this light like a highly unjustified conclusion.
As for the various phobias, many of them exist, many are probably not real phobias, and some are more like puns (see Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, the fear of long words; the hippopomonstro- part is obviously a joke, as it is actually only known as sesquipedaliophobia (and I'm not even sure that that is an actual phobia)).
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

it means a hatred towards homosexuals or outsiders

I don't and have never felt hatred towards these individuals, I just don't care about them or their well being. I wouldn't go out of my way to help them, but at the same time I wouldn't wish or case harm on them as long as the don't cause any to us. If you are wondering what my """"""Phobia"""""" actually is relating to this matter is, it's how certain peeple tWiSt AnD MiSuSe WoRdZ 2 MeAn WhAtEvEr ThEy WaNt ZeM 2 2 MaKe people ZaT ZeY dOn'T LiKe LoUk BaD.. Now, apparently since the word phobia is being used to describe a VAST number of feelings, dispositions, etc.. it no longer means "an extreme or irrational fear", but rather whatever word manipulators want it to? Or did I just say that?
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

@SportShark you'd be surprised of what people can actually fear.

As someone with some minor knowledge of psychiatrical conditions, I can tell you that even a prasinophobia is possible.

Proof:
Real phobias that will sound crazy:

Anthophobia, the fear of flowers
Chaetophobia, fear of hair
Cyanophobia, fear of the color blue

The specific phobias are the most crazy. here is the link to a list by wikipedia but if you distrust that information, the phobias linked above are not necessarily from that site.

Phobias, just like many other psychiatric diseases, utterly weird. Ever heard of the stockholm syndrome? Does it sound less crazy to you? How about the Freggoli Syndrome?

But, at any rate, this discussion is out of the main point of this thread. I cannot guarantee the actual existence of every phobia found in the wiki, but I can assure you that people can be afraid of very, very strange things...

Anyway, my phobia for today, would be:

Igniterroremophibia The fear of the fire alarm going off...Well, it doesn't work well with my arsonist talent

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I don't and have never felt hatred towards these individuals, I just don't care about them or their well being.

Then you are not a homophobe (and for the record, I never claimed you were ??). Case close.

Now on to my daily random phobia. Catoptrophobia, a fear of mirrors. Don't look! They steal your soul!

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Automatonophobia The fear of fake sentients like mannequins, animatronics, wax statues, and even the possibility of having necrophobia, the fear of corpses.

etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

Coprastasophobia

the fear of constipation! i hate it, but not FEARING it.

YES! I GOT THE LINK THING DOWN!

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Βathmophobia

The fear of stairs and slopes...Always the elevator!

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Catoptrophobia

Beware the mirrors.

This is...supposed to help? How, exactly? I would think it would do the exact opposite.

It could force them to face their fear. Of course, it could also induce a panic.

Showing 16-30 of 64