ForumsArt, Music, and Writing[Closed][Official] Armor Games' Armatar Contest: PIRATES!!! YARRR!!!

134 59151
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8500/8253540719_7b89c6b013_b_d.jpg
Summer is almost over and so is the "Summer Edition" of the ArmorGames' Armatar Contest. We can truly state that this edition was a BIG success, rendering a fantastic amount of awesome creations made by our users, which made it impossible to choose a winner! Thank you all for your incredible entries!!

Moving onwards to the next edition again and some of you may already know what it is... as we're back with that popular theme that is even celebrated with it's very own, special day of the year, which is coming Saturday! For those of you still wondering what this theme could be, well... Arrr, me hearty! Sat'rday be th'day we be celebratin' "Talk like a Pirate day", so the new theme be all'bout:

...well shiver me timbers... PIRATES!!! YARR!!!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/9801002245_ecb7e3a2ee_o_d.png

Avast! By the powers! 'ere be guidelines that'll help ye figur'out what be allowed and what not :

ARMATAR CONTEST GUIDELINES :

ne: All entries must be appropriate. They cannot be offensive or profane in nature. Keep it clean!
The entry must be square and at least 512x512 pixels in dimension.
Your entry must scale down well to 100x100. So if it looks good in its larger form, make sure that it will still look good when it is scaled down to the armatar size. Here are a few suggestions about this :
Sometimes keeping it simple is better. If you go into a lot of detail, it might not look as great when you scale it down. So keep in mind what the Armatar size will be and check often how it looks when it is scaled down.
Remember to save a lot while you are making it! Better to delete 20 -in between made- save files later on, than ending up with a finished piece you don't like or an end result that is showing up blurred when scaled down...
If you are able to do vector, by all means! That can help with the sharpness of the image. However, since they are small in Armatar size, this is probably not a big issue.
All entries must be fitting to the current contest's theme. If a certain entry is debatable to whatever extend, a Mod or Admin will give the decisive and final ruling for submission.
An entry must be completely original. You cannot use entire (or even elements from) pieces of artwork made by someone else, the entire armatar must be 100% created by you! A Moderator can ask you to provide conclusive proof that the entry was created by you entirely and you are obligated to provide this when asked for.

Plagiarism will not only exclude your submission by means of disqualification, it will also exclude you from participation in any future contests AND will have further consequences!

CLOSING DATE OF THIS CONTEST :

This'ere brand new contest be runnin' for a fair time now, so aye, we be lookin' at a grand grand booty o'drawin's from all o'ye scurvy dogs! What time 'tis be ye say? Well, that Jolly Roger be wavin' up high from 09/14/2015 'till 10/12/2015 matey!!

WINNING SUBMISSIONS :

Every participant of an official edition of the Armor Games' Armatar Contest receives a well deserved Merit for submitting one -or more- entries to every separate edition held. This means a maximum of one Merit per participant, per edition.

Alongside this Merit for your participation, we now have a special non-game Quest to award for the winning submissions of the Armor Games' Armatar Contest!! This special Armatar Creator Quest will be bestowed upon the creators of the winning entries that were chosen for every contest held from now on. The winners will receive this Quest to show our appreciation for their outstanding work. Wear this Quest with pride!
Winners will be chosen after the edition is officially closed;
The winning entries are non-debatable, results are final;
The Armatar Creator Quest can only be awarded once per user. If a particular user wins another edition, they will not receive this Quest again, as Quests can not be achieved a second time;
As a special appreciation for their outstanding work, all the winners and their winning entries of every edition will be placed into the Armatar Creator Quest Winners Hall of Fame!

So, go! Be gone to yer drawin' tables and start creatin' that thar shiny booty! And if y'won't, well blow me down! We be keelhaulin' ya fo'sure Jack! Now get t'work! Before we make ye walk that ther'plank... YA-HARR!!!

*Yo-Ho-Ho... and a bottle o'rum*

• 134 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Arrr matey! I cannot wait to see the entries! I'm going to see if my wife will draw one up for this...

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

That'd be mighty swell of y'er lassy! YARR!!

Miraidematro
Miraidematro
738 posts
Blacksmith

What's a captain without his 2 winged friend? Not a pirate I tell you!

http://i.cubeupload.com/oBmNZh.png

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Hmm, this contest allows me to draw an idea I had for a long time... Though I am pretty sure the end result will be bad... We'll see

Great entry @Miraidematro ! Simply astonishing. From the colors to the very look of the parrot...

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

No end result is bad @Doombreed... it may require some more work in opinion to some others, but it is never bad!

And awesome 'Pirate Polly' there @Miraidematro!

Miraidematro
Miraidematro
738 posts
Blacksmith

@Doombreed @MrDayCee Thank you very much guys!

Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

Aye, I'm down for this:
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd369/Chris-Koshionos/Art/Armor%20Games/IntheCaptainsQuarters.png
100x100
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd369/Chris-Koshionos/Art/Armor%20Games/IntheCaptainsQuarters100x100.png

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@Koshionos That'd be booty I see tharr in th'light of that tharr skull candle eyy?! Excellent matey!

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

It is beginning to take a better form actually...thanks @MrDayCee

Also, nice drawing @Koshionos ! I like the skull with the candle mostly

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

It has been WAY too long since I've last created any art; even longer since I last uploaded anything onto this Community's Forum... so, it's finally time to load up my own set of Armatars for this 2015 Pirates! Edition!!

There's a story behind this 4-piece set called...

"A Bloody Red Sky Over Blue Waters"...

Capt'n DayCee was relaxing while enjoying a nice cup of bloody red wine in the 'Pirate Cove's' tavern upon return from his long journey overseas... a shady man appraoches his table and sits down across from him, while looking at him with his piercing glazed eyes.
He throws a piece of scorched parchment on the table and tells him about how he managed to escape his sinking burning vessle and rescue this valuable treasure map from the flames...
Capt'n DayCee glances upon the map drawn across the scorched parchment and soon realizes it is the lost map he only heard of, but never seen, let alone hold in his hands! He pays up a small purse of gold pieces as asked by the rugged former first mate and they both head for the harbour where his ship is being prepared for a next journey...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/774/21457374722_6e37e1ecd8_z_d.jpg

Capt'n DayCee baorded the ship and called for attention to all deck hands. Waving the treasure map, he explained how they were setting sail for the long lost treasure chest of 'Bloody McBeard', a Pirate known for viciously roaming the 7 seas, while leaving a trail of sunken ships and floating sailors.

He was said to have only looted valuable ships carrying diamonds and gold, which made for his immensely large treasure chest being filled to the rim with the most priceless jewelry and unimaginably precious gems ever to have existed. Once the crew heard of this, they answered with a loud roar and thundering cheer, thus agreeing upon this new quest fullheartedly!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/652/21442142956_9fa7776f63_z_d.jpg

They set sail late late in the evening, when the seas were becoming restless and the moon was hidden behind a darkened veil of clouds... Capt'n DayCee stood on the ship's bridge looking back towards the port of 'Pirate's Cove', the warm lights of it's street torches slowly fading in the distance. It did not sit well with him how the crew reacted upon his announcement, not well at all... he groaned deeply while thinking of the mysterious tale he once heard years ago when visiting the Spanish Pirate haven of 'La Boca del Infierno' (Hell's Mouth).

The tale spoke of a curse being casted over any sailor that attempted to find the long lost treasure that 'Bloody McBeard' stashed away on 'Isla Muerte' (Island of the Dead) located in the south sea... the island was always steered clear of by sailors, as it had a surrounding shoreline of spiked rocks hidden inches underneath the sea's surface. Any ship not aware of this treacherous natural defense was sure to run into them and sink within minutes. The lively shark population in those waters took care of the rest...

He hoped for this legendary tale not to be true and hoped that the story of his newly acquired first mate simply was about some honest bad luck when his ship sunk in flames like he told him in the tavern... but something gave him a troublesome feeling that this journey may very well be his last as cold shivers creeped up his back...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/640/20847271603_8fd68de0cc_z_d.jpg

It was an early morning when the ship's lookout shouted the crew's long awaited words... "Land Ahoy! Straight ahead! Land Ahoy!!!" Capt'n DayCee rushed into his clothes and stepped onto the deck, followed by his first mate like a shadow. He made his way to the ship's bow and gazed into the distance with his monocular, soon striking the distinct outlining of 'Isla Muerte'... an island with two mountains on either side, their spiked tops looking like a pair of devil's horns rising from the ocean depths.

He gave the order to lower the sails and deploy the barges to head for the island. The crew worked as fast as they could, bearing in mind the vast riches they were to find on this forbidden and deadly island... the barges slowly made their way towards the shore, when a loud crack was heard, soon followed by anxious cries for help. The leading barge drove its hull directly into one of the spiked rocks and sank within seconds. The other barges speeded towards their help, but by the time they arrived at the spot, the water had already turned bloody-red and they could make up a few shark fins circling the territory...

Filled with fear about a similar fate to their crew mate's, the remaining crew then focussed to spot any hidden rocks and make their way towards the safety of the island's white sandy beaches as quickly as humanly possible. A few hours slowly passed and finally all of the barges made it to the beach where the map was immediately studied thoroughly and not soon after the ship's crewran off into the jungle lead by the first mate, shovels waving and guns blazing. The Captain decided to stay behind on the beach and leave the excitement of the treasure hunt to his crew...

The bright burning sun stood high and many hours passed, when suddenly the sounds of guns, explosions and death reached the captain's ears. He jumped up and wondered what on earth was going on... he rushed to follow the path his crew had made through the jungle. The path criss-crossed through the bushes to end at the far side of one of the mountains... the captain dead-stopped at the sight of his entire crew laying scattered across the entrance of a dark cave, blood painting the rocks surrounding it... in the midsts of this carnage stood a huge shiny chest, its lid open, reveiling a blinding light... the captain slowly made his way across the slashed bodies and was amazed by the content of the chest. Literally thousands of gems and gold pieces filled a chest too heavy to lift by no less than 6 men, at least!

He buried his hands in the treasure and thought of the wealth he had found! But his glorious bliss was soon dimmed by realising that the curse must be true after all... the crew was so blinded by all these riches that they must have all wanted to claim the entire treasure for themselves, which resulted in a massacre among themselves. Knowing this was not the faith he was looking for, he decided to leave the treasure where it stood and returned to the beach, as this was not how he wanted to end his life. There was enough booty to be looted out there still...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/740/20845658264_1f0d06c98a_z_d.jpg

After carefully steering clear of the shoreline's hidden rocks and returning to the ship, he ordered the remaining crew to set sail and warned them never to return here again, as it was sure to be their imminent death. The remaining crew was disappointed but agreed and they sailed off, back to the ports that surely will offer them new journeys and exciting adventures to come...

The End...

Thus told by Capt'n DayCee at the age of 66, while enjoying a nice cup of bloody red wine...
YARRRR!!!

To make everything complete, the 100x100 versions...
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/774/21457374722_6e37e1ecd8_t_d.jpg.https://farm1.staticflickr.com/652/21442142956_9fa7776f63_t_d.jpg.https://farm1.staticflickr.com/640/20847271603_8fd68de0cc_t_d.jpg.https://farm1.staticflickr.com/740/20845658264_1f0d06c98a_t_d.jpg

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

@MrDayCee , shiver me timbers matey! That was a decent adventure ye had in that big ol' hunk of rock over yonder. Always good to strech the ol' legs and sail the lass right toward new adventures, head on!

Miraidematro
Miraidematro
738 posts
Blacksmith

@MrDayCee I'm jealous of that adventure! But I probably would have made the stupid move to take the treasure... so, It's for the best ;P

I really dig those last two armatars!

Frank_Frooton
Frank_Frooton
4,002 posts
Bard

Nice. So, what throws a weird box into a wormhole after killing his whole crew and eating their bodies? a seal!
http://i.imgur.com/WMQ0wxn.png?1
http://i.imgur.com/i9Ncylr.png?1

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@Doombreed Arrr me matey! Y'er soul brings ye to where th'gold glistens...

@Miraidematro Thanx! I really felt like creating some art work again, as it was quite a while since I last made something actually... and once I had the Armatars finished, I felt like writing a story to match the 4-pieced set! The last time I wrote a short story has been even longer! Haha

As for the treasure chest... you DID see that it was a chest SOO large, it had to be carried by at least 6 men, right @Miraidematro? Arrrrre ye that strong matey?

Miraidematro
Miraidematro
738 posts
Blacksmith

@MrDayCee I'd get my remaining crew off the ship! But that would of probably led to my death... hehe

Showing 1-15 of 134