ForumsThe TavernAn argument for jelly

19 10389
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I can't ever eat toast outside of the comfort of my own home, and not because I don't think others have the capacity to make a decent slice of toasted bread (some of them actually can), but because everytime I ask for the toppings for my toast, I'm asked the same asinine question: "jam or jelly?"

What angers me, first off, is that people have the audacity to think there is even a decision to be made. We all know what I'm going to pick, I'm a regular human being, why WOULDN'T I pick Jelly? It's the only clear choice. It's like if someone was going to make you steak and then before giving it to you asked if you wanted steak sauce or the water from your toilet.

Second off, why would I even CONSIDER jam? Do you know where jam is most commonly found? That's right, in printers. Printers have ink, and quite an abundance of it, too. For those of you that haven't tasted ink, it isn't that good. Especially the yellow.

Thirdly, just say the freaking words. Jelly. It's so elegant and smooth, like jelly. Just saying it gives me the giggles and makes me feel better about life in general, it's just that good. But then...jam. I can't help but imagine some 7 and a half foot tall amazonian-esque neanderthal struggling to plop this mess of a word out and then whacking itself on the head each time they manage to get it out. Jam.

So for those of you that are sad enough to ask for jam on your toast, I hope you enjoy your after-work commute home in traffic. I'll be over here in the express lane enjoying my jelly.

• 19 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

It's tartare, actually, and you can put it on anything you would put mayonnaise on.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

[/quote]It's tartare, actually,

Depends on location. Tartare is the UK, Aus, and NZ spelling. Tartar is the US spelling.

and you can put it on anything you would put mayonnaise on.[quote]

Seafood is the popular/traditional choice, though. (Although Britain has never really been fussed about tradition in food.)

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

The difference is that jelly is made from the juice of the fruit, while jam is made from crushed fruit.

in that case, id prefer jam.

Blasphemy! Tainting steak with any sort of steak sauce after it's been finely cooked only makes the steak taste like the sauce. You have to eat steak in its purest, untainted form! Marinating the steak before cooking it should give enough mouth-watering flavor.

i dont like steak *hides*

philimaster
philimaster
491 posts
Peasant

Blasphemy! Tainting steak with any sort of steak sauce after it's been finely cooked only makes the steak taste like the sauce. You have to eat steak in its purest, untainted form! Marinating the steak before cooking it should give enough mouth-watering flavor.

I like a sweet sauce and/or gravy (I know gravy is something different in the USA so just to be clear i'm talking about British gravy) I feel like when you're having a large amount of something, it helps to mix up the taste a bit to keep the food interesting.
Showing 16-19 of 19