ForumsWEPRAnimal Rights: How far is too far?

38 6189
necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Read this story.
Do animals have the same intrinsic value as humans?
Is it ethical to kill them to find cures for diseases?
Are the activists morally justified?

• 38 Replies
MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

they have insincts but i can kill an animal i have before now a human talks to me and can interact it depends on what kind of research make up no cures for diseases yes and no activists are just annoying veagans who think cuddles the deer shouldn't be shot

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I think it really depends on what ethical theories you hold in your agenda.

I like Peter Singer's speciesism when it comes to ethics and animals. He is a utilitarian, so he believes that minimal suffering is the way to go when faced with an ethical decision. Given that all animals, regardless of intelligence, experiences suffering. Discriminating whether it is okay to test on animals should not be based on the fact they they have wings or fur. That would be just like racism.

There are some mentally retarded people and infants that some monkeys may have more intelligence than. So, if we are going to do animal testing we might as well do it on the retarded and all babies under 6 months of age.

Another thing, would you accept the fact if some Alpha Centurions come from outer space, landed on earth and demanded 100,000 humans to test a drug on? But, they argue that because they have superior intelligence it is ethically acceptable to test on us.

Animals may not have the same rights as us, but as Peter Singer says we all deserve equal consideration because all living beings that can endure suffering has intrinsic value.

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

i find that intellegence has nothing to do with it once an animal talks to me then i will stop hunting

Strat
Strat
107 posts
Nomad

Ashley has the right idea. That was a fairly decent summary of Singer. If the utilitarian approach isn't for you, there's also Tom Regan with this rights-based approach, but he has the same individialistic approach in mind. For Regan, humans and animals both possess inherent worth and possess it equally so long as they are subjects-of-a-life. This category has a bunch of subjective properties that I won't elaborate on here (but I will say that the capacity to suffer is one of them), but it's possible that some "animals" are not subjects-of-a-life because they don't have these experiences - perhaps a stem-cell for instance. Maybe even an embryo. I think Regan would permit testing on these things in respect of the greater good for human society.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

i find that intellegence has nothing to do with it once an animal talks to me then i will stop hunting

Funny how you spell intelligence wrong, but anywho...

Wouldn't it take INTELLIGENCE for animal to speak to you...? Just asking.
SpartanWarrior3
SpartanWarrior3
175 posts
Nomad

Wouldn't it take INTELLIGENCE for animal to speak to you...? Just asking.

I sense a bit of sarcasm, no?
shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

animals,not ethical to use for research.
food?somewhat.

Technically animals are not the same as humans,
they have different type of genes, hormones,etc.

i see no use in testing sometrhing which is totally different from us as deem it as research.
if there was minimal or no pain for the animal,i would only somewhat agree

@Asherlee.
what you wrote was kind of true,animals were used for research,because of the fact that they were" inferior"
,in terms of intelligience.but retarted and mentally challenged human are also low in terms of intelligience.

hmmmm i smell sarcasm Funny how you spell intelligence wrong, but anywho...

MsterXantos,time for your research!MUAHAHAHAHA

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

@Shermzx, you say that it is ethically "okay" to kill animals for food. I agree. Do you not kill and eat them for the point of survival?

What if we had a scenario of testing this new AIDs drug on 1000 monkeys. It wasn't going to kill them, but maybe leave some not pleasant side effects. Let's say that this drug is estimated to save millions once it has been tested so it can be put on the market. Is that not survival also? Sacrificing 1000 for a million?

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

@everyone who just mocked me
okay i'm typing fast cuz i got to respond to lots of other disscussions and i'm no the greatest typer and it is our vocal cords not only our intelligence that makes us talk

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

but monkeys have no obligation for humans....

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Shermzx, explain what you mean.

@ MsterXantos, well, you're wrong. It is our capacity for language that allows us to communicate like we do...

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

true but it is our intellegince and our vocal cords differ from thso of an animal that is another barrier between us

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

MsterXantos, okay...so how does that pertain to animal rights?

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

uhhhh i feel that anything that runs on four legs and can't speak that is covered in fur is not nearly as important as a human life i mean i have pets yes i love having pets but they don't need the same rights humans have

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I agree that the rights of humans and the rights of animals are not the same because we are not the same species. So, please read my first post about the Alpha Centurions. What if those beings came down from another planet and decided they needed 100,000 humans to test a product of theirs out, but they justified that we had to willingly give ourselves up because they are of higher intelligence and we are nothing but dogs to them?

Showing 1-15 of 38