ForumsWEPRMona Lisa

37 23011
Oswald
Oswald
18 posts
Nomad

Is there any basis to the speculative descriptions associated with the Mona Lisa painting regarding the enigmatic smile and other mysterious observations? Or are they the product of mass imagination, propaganda and delusion?

• 37 Replies
masta_cheef
masta_cheef
670 posts
Nomad

Can't sleep Mona eat me. When i look at her, she looks like she could jump right out of the picture and eat me!
http://www.humor12.com/data/media/18/mona-lisa_www_Humor12_com.jpg
and this certainly doesn't help

dyrnwyn
dyrnwyn
129 posts
Herald

I once had a freind tell me to compare the Mona Liisa to a two year olds scribble the mona lisa would obviously lose.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

That friend was me btw.

Strongbow
Strongbow
324 posts
Nomad

@oswald: Some "experts have attributed the uneven background as a result of fading, warping and overall age of the painting itself. I don't know if I totally agree with that, but there are some oddities associated with it because of its mistreatment throughout the years.

I was looking over some articles about the Mona Lisa and found an interesting tidbit in Wikopedia about her smile.
It was evaluated by an "emotion recognition" program and here are the results it gave:

-83% happy
-9% disgusted
-6% fearful
-2% angry
-less than 1% neutral
-0% suprised

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I heard that before, Strongbow, and it occurred to me that I found it to be BS. A: He may not have painted it perfectly, and 2, A person, when asked to smile, con often only produce a hideous fake-smile.

Strongbow
Strongbow
324 posts
Nomad

@Xzeno: True, that was what the computer deduced based on her smile.

The smile, by the by, may not be quite so smiley. Some experts have speculated that due to the age of the painting and the warp of the frame, the smile may actually be slightly exaggerated. In addition, many people who actually look upon the actual painting report that her smile changes based on where you are standing. Many say that looking at the work peripherially makes facial details stand out more.

WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

I believe that it's a painting of a woman. Nothing more, nothing less. People want it to be different things so that there is some mystery that intrigues them, but it's just a painting. Canvas with ink on it, sorry folks.

Showing 31-37 of 37