ForumsSupport ForumHeightened Merit Standards

66 12588
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

We have been getting a lot of complaints lately about people not getting merits for their comments. This is not necessarily because we have not seen them, but because we have heightened our standards of what constitutes a merit worthy comment. We have put our standards into some guidelines, so that you guys can see what we look for in a merit:

1) Perfect or near perfect grammar. Remember to use capitalization and proper spelling.
2) Structured - try to give some flow and structure to what you are writing. Don't just around from topic to topic.
3) Comprehensive, and with unique insight into the game that we somehow deem to be valuable.
4) Coherent. A lot of reviews that follow the recommended template become an exercise unto itself i.e. they don't really make sense when you actually read them. They sometimes even contradict themselves. These sort of comments don't get merits. Just because it is long, does not mean it will get a merit. It has to make sense too.
5) Contains constructive criticism of the game. Tell us the changes that you would make to the game, and why. What do you approve of? What don't you like?
6) Do not ask for a merit. Chances are, if you have to ask for a merit, you will not get one. It highly reduces your chances of receiving one, and makes us sad every time you ask

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
For further hints and tips, check out the N&N and Greg Merit Guide. But remember to always follow the guidelines listed above.

• 66 Replies
jeffwak906
jeffwak906
237 posts
Shepherd

Thanks, so many people were saying to me, "How do you get merits?" and "What are merits?" I'd always try to give them the best answer, but I think I found a better choice for them to read...

=D

Alguzara
Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

I find that writing them in Microsoft Word helps me out a lot when I am writing merits. Just a suggestion.

I would really love having a Microsoft Word in the English language. I only get in Spanish...
Anyways i try and do my best when im aiming for a merit.
Well this thread will help those who dont understand the rules that you gotta understand for a merit.
Good job Carlie...
Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

That is exceedingly nice Carlie, you must have put a lot of work into it. Good job!

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

is each comment read and/or analysed thoroughly by the moderator or the game creator before it is merited?

Yes, moderators read the comments through before giving out merits. Previously, I think that some were skimmed, but now we are really going to be stricter on handing them out, as they should reflect the cream of the crop of responses.
silentclore
silentclore
297 posts
Nomad

I Like this, and I'm glad to know that all my merits go by this. About asking for merits is completely true, I have much more integrity than to ask for one.

StarScreamer
StarScreamer
608 posts
Shepherd

Thanks for this Carlie. I was wondering why I wasn't getting any merits on the new games. lol

thaggard53
thaggard53
808 posts
Nomad

thanks. This will help a lot with getting more merits

WolfSoulKatana
WolfSoulKatana
26 posts
Nomad

Not easy getting merits. Sometimes you just mess up with one little word mistake. That's why I like using the firefox spell check.

Kingy
Kingy
251 posts
Nomad

Can I just ask is 4 long paragraphics good?

WolfSoulKatana
WolfSoulKatana
26 posts
Nomad

Not bad if they make sense and the spelling is all correct and if they tell you the pros and cons of the game. Otherwise, you have no chance of success =P

I think the rules are getting pretty strict now =D

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Kingy, it is not necessarily all about the length of the review, but rather the quality. If it is 4 paragraphs of saying the same thing, and not a very in depth or constructive review, it will not get a merit even if it is that long. If it is 4 paragraphs of great writing with a lot of insight to the game, it would get a merit.

jeffwak906
jeffwak906
237 posts
Shepherd

I'm just wondering, but has any Moderator or Administrator gone through the new games and given out any merits? I've gone through myself and read some, and a lot deserve merits, but no one has gone through them... Why is this?

jeffwak906
jeffwak906
237 posts
Shepherd

Still wondering if any Mod/Admin has gone though and checked for merits in the new games...

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

You have to realize, the mods/admins have lives ;-) the moderators take time out of their days, their free time, in order to help this site out. Yes, the games will be gotten too, but you have to be patient about it. Personally, I went through some of them yesterday. But since I do not work on the weekends, I don't spend time giving out merits then. Also, I am sure that the moderators have other things that they need to do as well. We are not neglecting merits, they will be done. Just give it some time.

jeffwak906
jeffwak906
237 posts
Shepherd

Sorry, I know everyone has to do something else than AG, I just just sort of.... I'm not sure, actually. I'm actually really sorry that I even neglected to try and think of that... I think I'm just a person who likes things to be done quickly and efficiently. I'm really am so sorry, I can't believe I was that inconsiderate!

Showing 16-30 of 66