ForumsWEPRWhich is less acceptable: Arrogant atheism or rabid religious devotion

57 10677
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

There seems to be recent buzz about religions lately, so this seems like a decent topic. And since I know there are both atheists and religious folk here, seems good as any.

I present to you the people two very opposite views on religion. One side belives there is no chance that there is any all-poweful being, yet do so in a way that they are ignorant and blind to how the other half lives and thinks. Whereas the second half the equation believes there is nothing else but the religion they believe in, to the point of forcing it on others and viewing everyone else as sinner if they do not share this point of view...

Keep in mind these are the very radical poles of each belief. Either side sees in black and white. Each view their own belief as the only correct on and everyone else as wrong.

Discuss! I will throw my opinion in a bit later on.

• 57 Replies
carltherune
carltherune
44 posts
Nomad

Why are all the people saying that it's general Christianity that is always trying to convert everyone when it is usually the Jehovah's Witnesses. They believe that only a certain number of people go to Heaven, so the only way you can gain your right to Heaven is to convert more people. They are the ones who mostly try to convert you.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

They are still a branch of Christianity. They beleive in God and Jesus dieing for our sins, right? Why, I do beleive that sounds a lot like Christianiity.

carltherune
carltherune
44 posts
Nomad

But people think that all of Christianity is horrible and walking through the streets yelling "Repent, for God shall smite you, infidel!"

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

I don't think that people believe that ALL of Christianity is like that, but you have to admit that the part of Christianity that gets noticed is predominantly that way.

Besides, I know that many other denominations do "soulwinning" from my personal experiences on BOTH sides of that act.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Religious fanatacism is worse as atheists only think that religious people are stupid, but religiuos people want to change the way people live thier lives which is wrong

WildStriker404
WildStriker404
60 posts
Nomad

Both extremes are equally unacceptable, I feel, and for the same reason. Each is so convinced that the other is wrong that they would rather kill rather than listen to what the other side has to say.

If you want to fight a duel of words, silencing the opposition is the worst cop-out imaginable.

XxPens87xX
XxPens87xX
79 posts
Nomad

Too much of anything is bad

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Tru Pens nut i dont think that atheists want to kill religious people but there are some religions that want to kill atheists so i think religion is worst but arrogant atheism isnt good either

The_Masquerade
The_Masquerade
140 posts
Nomad

They are equally as bad/good as the other. However that depends on what arrogance or rabid affects what they do. They could be strict, say, Christians and follow all the rules and that isn't a problem at all. However, the same thing goes with Atheism as by "arrogance" you mean they won't believe in anything else, it's fine as well. People are not forced to believe something otherwise that would be contradictory to belief. More or less, opinionated, is this thread.

Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

I think noth extremes are bad, and here's why. AA's, arrogant athiests, tend to talk down to religious people in general. AA's do think the CE's, christian extremists, are ignorant in what htey believe and try to confuse them into believing what they believe by downtroddening and religious history.

CE's on the other hand will tell you, and I've seen it done on this site, if you don't believe how I believe, you will not only burn in hell, but you are disgusting, vile, and horrid. Be gone from my sight. They have no trait in them to be accepting whether or not they think the person is wrong or right.

In my family, I have 2 youth ministers, 1 minister of music. a christian entertainer, singing/guitar/and well to, 5 uber christian women, 1 former Muslim, 1 catholic, 2 gays, 2 ex-convicts, 3 who stay out of the way, and me, a wierd blend of way athiest/ignostic/pagan/christian/ all aroung inigma. But, the thing that is so unique is, everyone in my family, dispite beliefs or lifestyles, loves each other direly. We have all had the debates and discussions and made each other cry. But in the end we all just love.

And here's the funny part, we are from the Alabama bible belt! Ha!

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

I am a Pastafarian and would have to say that rabid religious extremism is way worse because they violate the Flying Spaghetti Monster's eight "I really wish you didn'ts." RAmen.

silentclore
silentclore
297 posts
Nomad

0.0 what? to leet for me

BASHA
BASHA
660 posts
Nomad

I think that they are both really bad but I think that a rabid religious devittion is worse because they would just go around telling everyone who wasn't there religion that they are going to rot in hell

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

Arrogant Atheists rarely act to force others to their way of thought. Rabid Religion Devotees often do. This is why I would say RRD is worse.

redbedhead
redbedhead
341 posts
Nomad

arrogant atheism fo sho, because they think there always right but they are some of the most retarded people on the planet and they have to be the most snoodiest people ever

Showing 31-45 of 57