ForumsWEPRWhich is less acceptable: Arrogant atheism or rabid religious devotion

57 10678
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

There seems to be recent buzz about religions lately, so this seems like a decent topic. And since I know there are both atheists and religious folk here, seems good as any.

I present to you the people two very opposite views on religion. One side belives there is no chance that there is any all-poweful being, yet do so in a way that they are ignorant and blind to how the other half lives and thinks. Whereas the second half the equation believes there is nothing else but the religion they believe in, to the point of forcing it on others and viewing everyone else as sinner if they do not share this point of view...

Keep in mind these are the very radical poles of each belief. Either side sees in black and white. Each view their own belief as the only correct on and everyone else as wrong.

Discuss! I will throw my opinion in a bit later on.

• 57 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Well, rabid religious devotion seems less acceptable. Some interesting points about religious fanaticism, but devotion is not the same thing as fanaticism and does not in any way imply it. However you have to have religion in the first place for fanatics to develop.
My stance is that religious devotion is less acceptable simply because it is incorrect. If I went around muttering to an invisible guy who somehow influenced my life, people would call me crazy.
There are plenty of arrogant people regardless of their ideas, but since god doesn't exist, religious devotion is a waste of time and money, both of which are at a premium in our society. It is far more unacceptable to be religiously devoted.

Lennywins
Lennywins
130 posts
Nomad

Well, I would say religious fanaticism, because they kill everyone they don't agree with, and have historically. Since Atheism is a relatively new idea, at least compared to religion, the only reason they haven't had fanatics of their own killing everybody else is because of the environment it surfaced in. In the days of religion's dawn, It was more or less every man for himself, and if you didn't like someone, you killed them. But now, most of the world participates in a sort of reluctant cease-fire, so killing people you don't agree with doesn't accomplish much of anything for you. But I would still say Religious fanatics are the worst.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

There is a ood arguement around here and I really don't think I should take sides but... I'll have to say religious devotion.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Why not? Not like we are going to plant a burning cross in your yard because you have an opinion. That is what the KKK is for. Another example of rabid devotion...

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Yikes! KKK...

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

KKK!!!!

carltherune
carltherune
44 posts
Nomad

Based on my faith, I would say that an arrogant atheist is worse because they have nothing to beleive in, that we all just die and that's it.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

So you would rather have people killed for a religious reason rather than people arrogantly being an atheist? That is part of the rabid religion side. Just asking, you know, to cover all the bases and such.

carltherune
carltherune
44 posts
Nomad

I was saying that the atheists are arguing for no reason, since they think that once they die, their entire existence is over. But religious people are trying to convert others to what they believe is going to bring the others to some greater good.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I think you are missing the "rabid" part of the religious half of the argument. We are not talking about sweet little old nuns that make cookies here. We are talking about scary, bible-quote spewing, put the fear of god into you then douse with you with holy water and call you sinner then run you over with the minivan soccer moms here. Baaad sunvaguns.

carltherune
carltherune
44 posts
Nomad

But these people are really doing the same thing. They believe that their views are right, and are in some way trying to show that they are right.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

"and are in some way trying to show that they are right."

But not the SAME way.

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

^ What they said.

Also, carl, you're missing the reason that atheists like myself care to discuss topics like this with such fervor.

There is a reason; in fact, many reasons. Let there be no confusion about that.

For one, there is always the possibility that a few words of wisdom spoken on a message board like the one we have here will spark something in a person's mind - the beginning of what will eventually lead them down a road of logic and simple rationality. My own de-conversion from Christianity did not begin in full tilt until I read post after post after post online of religious debate.

My mind handled the rest, but the thought process sometimes needs a kick-start.

Another reason, and one quite fitting for this topic, is the danger of religion worldwide. As devoid said, we're not talking about nice old ladies - we're talking about murderers.

The scary part is that, oftentimes, these suicide bombers and fanatical zealots are normal people in all aspects of life, save religion. I would dare say that few objects, thoughts, theories, or emotions could trigger such a passionate and oftentimes violent response as religion.

THAT'S what we - or I, at the very least - am fighting against. I'm sick of wars fought over something as arbitrary and personal as what god supposedly said 2,000 years ago. Will religion ever cease to exist? Probably not; certainly not in my lifetime.

What I do see as possible is the idea that people can be led along the path of using their own mind to think, not reading a book and listening to a pastor explain what they should think for them.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Brilliantly put!

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Pssh. Way to go exposing my evil plan to make people think twice about what they beleive in, and then make valid points for their side of the argument and then walk away with a new perspective. Now I am just going to retreat to my lair underneath the water. I call is Sealab 2022.

Showing 16-30 of 57