ForumsWEPRWhich is less acceptable: Arrogant atheism or rabid religious devotion

57 10676
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

There seems to be recent buzz about religions lately, so this seems like a decent topic. And since I know there are both atheists and religious folk here, seems good as any.

I present to you the people two very opposite views on religion. One side belives there is no chance that there is any all-poweful being, yet do so in a way that they are ignorant and blind to how the other half lives and thinks. Whereas the second half the equation believes there is nothing else but the religion they believe in, to the point of forcing it on others and viewing everyone else as sinner if they do not share this point of view...

Keep in mind these are the very radical poles of each belief. Either side sees in black and white. Each view their own belief as the only correct on and everyone else as wrong.

Discuss! I will throw my opinion in a bit later on.

• 57 Replies
necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

wait a second, redbedhead definitely sounds like he thinks he is always right,provides no evidence as to why atheists are retarded making him look retarded, and is being very snooty; just proving the point of anyone who said rabid religious devotion

Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

redbedhead, you once again prove to the world that you are a brilliant venerater of vocabulary, thank you. It makes me miss being 14.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Both sides have led to massive death, and both are unacceptable. Soviet purges (mainly by Stalin) against religious figures led to millions dead. Hoxha of Albania also purged religious figures. Hitler had his fair share as well.

On the other side, the crusades led to millions dead, oppression, and lots of violence.

Both sides are wrong. Both sides are equally as dangerous.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Stalin and Hoxha led the purges not as ardent support of atheism but to prevent uprising as churches are large meeting places for people. Hitler was a Christian, but obviously did not understand peace and brotherly love.

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

For you people who say that Arrogant Athesim(AA) is worse than Rabid Religious(RRD) devoution trust me you have not seen a RRD to the extreme.

A true story to prove my point:
My friend and me went to church one day, correction my friend went and I was dragged along, and we came across a cool enough guy. My friend went to go pray while I stayed and talked to the guy. After a few minutes of talking we got into a dissucion of god and such things.

Heres a timeline for you guys:
Four minutes later he looked like he was about ready to sock me for my points of gods not real.
Six minutes later: The usual threats of 'your going to die and burn in hell' begin.
Eight minutes later: I get socked in the jaw and I bassiclly jump on him.
Nine minutes later: My friend and a random guy basiclly have to pry me off the kid and then have to keep us apart.

It was not that great of a day at church. Still being a AA is bad too. So I would say that being a AA is bad but RRD is worse.

Doomkiller
Doomkiller
83 posts
Nomad

Rabid religious devotion is way worse.

Or... FAKE rabid religious devotion

Ever seen one of those on the corner of Main Street asking for money?

I have.

152 posts
Nomad

i think that there is one god now and forever

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

and thats great 6862837 that you beleive that but not the point of this thread it's whether you think....you know since I don't feel like elbroating just read the title then take another swing at it...

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@necromancer

Hitler was not a Christian. He said he was just to get the support of the German people. Any credible historian will tell you that.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Hitler in fact ried to remove the church as it was an enemy of his and tried to set up the german faith movement a pagan religion based on the sun so yes the listman is right hitler most definitely wasnt religious

killertron
killertron
56 posts
Nomad

Religion itself is wrong. Religion should not exist. EVER.

terrellgundum
terrellgundum
6 posts
Nomad

both are bad equaly fighting anginst religion is bad but forcing ur religion is worst

Showing 46-57 of 57