ForumsArt, Music, and WritingTutorial Thread! Ask for help here.

137 39500
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

So this was actually Strops idea, so yes.

Anyways if ever you see a photo with a cool effect or you see a fun effect on somewhere like the GFX battle just come here, post a picture of the effect and I(or anyone else who wants to) can help you out to show you how to do the effect! Now I do work with photoshop so yeah my answers are for photoshop! If I don't personally know how to do the effect I'll try and supply you with a link to somewhere that does. And please everyone stay polite, if someone asks a really simple question it doesn't mean you get to tease at their "newbiness", you were all like that once! So, let the party begin! If any.. ;D

• 137 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Transparent backgrounds in GIMP, no problem.
You just need to delete the background layer and create a new one.
And select transparent in layer properties when you create it.
Random bellpeppa!

I can remake the bell pepper brush for Photoshop if you want me to. I don't think it would work particularly well as a standard brush, though, and I don't have much experience with brush making yet...

You could also just learn to make PS brushes yourself.

And if you need more help with the transparency issues, just ask away~

GodGilliam
GodGilliam
60 posts
Nomad

If anyone needs help with Photoshop, I got quite some experience.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

nice to know I just got it actually,and also Zophia I got it working now.Apparently I did not see the advanced options panel when you create a new image.The only issue now is the right file type that works with flash,but also supports transparency,and could also be imported to photoshop possibly.So far I have been forced to import .jpg's and they don't support transparency so I have to make sure they fit with the background color if I don't want them to look bad.

Also concerning Photo Shop is it possible to save files in whatever format you want,or really what I need to know is if there is anyway to save images off photo shop as .jpg's and keep in mind I'm using the latest version(in case other versions did things differently)The main issue is unlike in GIMP it does not allow me to select a unique file type,but instead choose from a list that does not have alot of the more useful file types on it.Here I will post a screen shot.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd349/crimsonblade55/photoshopfiletypes-1.jpg

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Just save it through "save as" or export? It should make it possible for you to choose jpg.

blade33
blade33
3 posts
Nomad

[i] i want to do things like make cool pictures, especially animated ones but i dont know where to start could someone point me in the right direction to learning this. i need it from the most basic as possible as i have no experience whatsoever.

deth4
deth4
764 posts
Nomad

@blade

You can go buy an animation program. a good on would be pivot stickfigure animator. you can download it here
When you create one, you want to save it as a Gif. if you want to make movies, you can create many different rfames at a time and save them, then place them into a movie maker program, like windows movie maker. its not the best, but it gets the job done for beginners. hope this helps, but you can check out some tutorials on youtube, here

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

nice to know I just got it actually,and also Zophia I got it working now.Apparently I did not see the advanced options panel when you create a new image.The only issue now is the right file type that works with flash,but also supports transparency,and could also be imported to photoshop possibly.So far I have been forced to import .jpg's and they don't support transparency so I have to make sure they fit with the background color if I don't want them to look bad.
Can Flash work with .png files? That or .gif is the only ones I know that can flatten an image and use transparency as well...

Also concerning Photo Shop is it possible to save files in whatever format you want,or really what I need to know is if there is anyway to save images off photo shop as .jpg's and keep in mind I'm using the latest version(in case other versions did things differently)The main issue is unlike in GIMP it does not allow me to select a unique file type,but instead choose from a list that does not have alot of the more useful file types on it.Here I will post a screen shot.
Huh. That drop-down menu should be scrollable, but if it isn't, I'll recommend you either start using .png or open the .psd in GIMP when you're done drawing, to save it as a .jpg from there...
But the newest version of PS should definitely be able to save as .jpg as well...
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

well I have never tried .png and never knew what it was as I never had a look at the different file types,but did that drop down menu look scrollable to you?It didn't have a scroll bar which typically means you can't scroll down,and using the scroll wheel on my mouse didn't work either so no that's all of the types I can save it as that I know of,and that's the only way I know how I can save files.I will have a look at .png files when I have a chance though.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

.png works pretty well, so yeah, I'll recommend that. Actually I think it might be better than .jpg in a number of ways, not completely sure though...

I think it's very odd that your PS won't save as .jpg...

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

trust me its even more odd that for some reason when I open up pictures I took with my camera I can save copies of them as .jpg's but when I open up a new file and try to save it won't allow the same.I just discovered this earlier today about an hour or two ago.Check out this new screen shot....

This is Seriously Just Confusing
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd349/crimsonblade55/filetypes2.jpg

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Weird!
Maybe you did something to the colour profile or some other strange setting... I honestly have absolutely no idea.

Esuna2400
Esuna2400
625 posts
Nomad

I know this is quite late, but Zophia. Your tree shading effect. Can that be used for most props/objects?

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

I'm guessing it could, since it's just a cell shading technique of sorts.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

hey I think I figured it out.It allows me to save as all of those files when I open something using adobe bridge.I don't know why,but that seems to do the trick.

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

Great thread! Haven't read much yet, but I will.

The question I really want to know is about... color choosing. I have a really hard time picking the right color (in digital applications, that is... mostly Flash and Photoshop). And, on top of that, I'm usually not that happy about the color in the end.

So, what I'd love to know is how you find your colors!

Thanks!

Showing 61-75 of 137