ForumsArt, Music, and WritingTutorial Thread! Ask for help here.

137 39543
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

So this was actually Strops idea, so yes.

Anyways if ever you see a photo with a cool effect or you see a fun effect on somewhere like the GFX battle just come here, post a picture of the effect and I(or anyone else who wants to) can help you out to show you how to do the effect! Now I do work with photoshop so yeah my answers are for photoshop! If I don't personally know how to do the effect I'll try and supply you with a link to somewhere that does. And please everyone stay polite, if someone asks a really simple question it doesn't mean you get to tease at their "newbiness", you were all like that once! So, let the party begin! If any.. ;D

• 137 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Well, finding colours is a matter of your methods and preferences in the first place...but if you're not happy with your colours you can always alter them afterwards. Don't know how in flash but in Photoshop type applications it's dead easy to adjust the colour of everything or even just one particular colour.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Colours = >.<

Since I have no idea what colour I am picking...and I usually just use the 5th tab on the colour thing of GIMP...where it has just bars of the colours...I am using Hexadecimal codes to get my colours!

For example...I need a skin colour...so I found This!! I can just Sample it or copy out the hexadecimal code!

Yay!

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I usually just look around a little. Even with characters with a defined hair/eye/skin colour, I usually just look through the colours, and finds the one I find best.
If you have a problem, well, there is alway the possibility of you laying down the base colour, and see if it fits, and then change those that does not. In photoshop, it is not very hard.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

The question I really want to know is about... color choosing. I have a really hard time picking the right color (in digital applications, that is... mostly Flash and Photoshop). And, on top of that, I'm usually not that happy about the color in the end.
It's all a matter of taste~ You could look up some information about colour theory, perhaps. Or just play around until you learn.
My advice on colour picking is to not use high saturation on main colours. Real colours are most often more diluted, at least in nature.
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

It's all a matter of taste~ You could look up some information about colour theory, perhaps. Or just play around until you learn.
My advice on colour picking is to not use high saturation on main colours. Real colours are most often more diluted, at least in nature.

Good one, that was one of the problems I had quite often. Thanks!
As for the other replies (thank you very much for replying, btw!) I know it's quite easy to alter in photoshop. I just feel somewhat... amateur when I do that. I somehow have the idea stuck in my head that 'real' artists don't do that... even though I know the opposite is true
Shadow867
Shadow867
147 posts
Nomad

...'real' artists don't do that...

Quite simply, there really isn't anything a 'real' artist does or doesn't. In that regard, define a 'real' artist.
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

I'd really like a folded bat wing tutorial, please post the link on my profile page.

Much appreciated.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Oh shi- thoad... That's friggin difficult. I still haven't mastered that even halfwa... Okay, barely halfway. And I've been drawing dragons (with batlike wings) since I was a little kid.

xtiamotx
xtiamotx
74 posts
Nomad

I'd really like a folded bat wing tutorial, please post the link on my profile page.

I can find tutorials on bat wings in general but not folded. Now, when you say folded, do you mean folded around their body? Or perhaps folded back say, like on a dragon. If you can give me an example or a link to an image that has something similar to what you want I might be able to make you a tutorial myself.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I need major help with feathers!

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

You know I was working on a flash vid today and realized I may need to learn how to effectively draw blood. Any of you happen to have any tutorials on how to make realistic, or at least decent blood effects in either Photoshop or flash?

xtiamotx
xtiamotx
74 posts
Nomad

I'll see what I can do with the feathers and the blood.

As far as photoshop goes, with both feathers and blood you can likely find some brushes for each. To make them more realistic, go over them with another layer to add highlight and shadow.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

well I realize that you can get premade brushes,but that does not allow for custom blood flow for certain conditions. Feathers on the other hand, depending on what you are trying to do with them...well those would be simpler to customize to the effect you want using brush dynamics...I would think.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

In lack of tutorials, I'd like to mention that string at stuff for undefined amounts of time can be a good way to figure out how it looks.
As redundant as that may sound, many actually forget to look at what they're drawing irl... Thus getting more toony or mangaish looks.

Reference pics are win. (And I oughta use them more often...)

Lots of photos of bird wings. They're aweesome for reference.

LufffiStudios
LufffiStudios
1,420 posts
Nomad

That is a really nice tutorial for trees, Zophia. I really liked it until the 2nd last step where you added the light green bubbles for leaves. Then the leaves looked like a blob of phlegm. >.<

Showing 76-90 of 137