ForumsSupport ForumPolls-Why Not?

29 4472
Drognar
Drognar
534 posts
Nomad

I don't see a reason why there are no polls here. They are a cool feature, don't cause spam and don't take much code either. Obviously no AP would given for voting. I know this has been brought up before but without a forum search its kinda of hard to find the topic.

• 29 Replies
InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

Personally, I don't think polls are a very good idea. I work in market research, so I know a thing or two about polls.

Some things to consider:
--> Polls can be biased
--> People who don't understand the question, can't ask anyone to interpret it (that would be bias)
--> People go out of their way to answer a certain way (i.e. group of people vote X, instead of Y, JUST for kicks)
--> Polls aren't necessarily the greatest indicator, nor do they reflect the opinions of the large AG community. If the poll were to be effective, you would need a substantial sample population (not a 100... think a wee bit bigger, considering there's 140K users around)

MagiX
MagiX
1,015 posts
Nomad

Well the only big problem that i saw in that statement was that people and vote for random things for no reason, and thats not that bad, so, why not?.

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

Well the only big problem that i saw in that statement was that people and vote for random things for no reason, and thats not that bad, so, why not?.

Actually, the things I listed are ALL problems with polls. Of course, you can have your margin of error (i.e. +/- 3 points, etc) -- but polls still don't represent an accurate measure of AG, at least, that's what I think.
arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

I think a poll would be a great idea. It would reflect how majority of AG thinks.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Even if it doesn't represent the opinion of the wider community, it's still an okay tool. Not everybody care about the same things, so... Of course every user won't vote on every poll. It can still give a decent view of what the general opinion of those who read it is.

I like the idea of polls. Would make the versus threads less pointless.

Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

lol the site should make a poll about should they add polls.

that would be funny...

Drognar
Drognar
534 posts
Nomad

Personally, I don't think polls are a very good idea. I work in market research, so I know a thing or two about polls.

Some things to consider:
--> Polls can be biased
--> People who don't understand the question, can't ask anyone to interpret it (that would be bias)
--> People go out of their way to answer a certain way (i.e. group of people vote X, instead of Y, JUST for kicks)
--> Polls aren't necessarily the greatest indicator, nor do they reflect the opinions of the large AG community. If the poll were to be effective, you would need a substantial sample population (not a 100... think a wee bit bigger, considering there's 140K users around)

You say poll can be biased, huh? Use your head man, there are already biased threads, adding in polls isn't going increase that number. If someone votes in a biased poll then perhaps they should have used better judgment. Next, of course not everyone going to vote in a poll, but if its good well though thread the majority of active members will not only vote but post quality comments. Ok, I've been on lots of forums, and I've almost never not understood a poll, sometime people do vote for kicks, but people already post just for AP if not AP it would be post count, the polls I don't understand I take a few seconds(15-30) and by that time I know whats what so really just takes a bit of patient.
InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

Okay, you all make valid points. I guess you've turned me around on the issue I vote yay on polls.

ulimitedpower
ulimitedpower
1,739 posts
Nomad

This idea is great, and I like it. If there were polls, and you could get points for them, then it would be a great way to make Armorgames better. They can be about different things, like certain games, what you would like to see in another games, and how to make Armorgames better. There could be votes on new features, which would help the administrators.

Generalhero
Generalhero
396 posts
Farmer

it is a very cool idea and doesn't involve spam
it is good

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

@unlimitedpower:
Polls should not give AP when you vote, since there's a very high chance some people would vote without reading what the poll's about... And that would totally ruin the point of the polls.

But I still like the idea of polls.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I used to do polls, and DragonMistress thought I had a pretty good system, because I put the poll on another account, and deleted all the comments they sent in after I wrote down the votes

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Also, if you want, go to a poll website, register a poll, and put a link in your about. *shrugs*

MagiX
MagiX
1,015 posts
Nomad

lol the site should make a poll about should they add polls.
that would be funny...

its easy. here are the steps. Go to the ACP, then polls, then activate. =)
Showing 16-29 of 29