ForumsWEPRReligion: Root of all evil?

126 21880
theslide
theslide
6 posts
Nomad

Personally, I think the world would have been better off without it. But some, sadly, need religion. They need "truth" fabricated, instead of thinking for themself. I take the evidence presented to me, and come to a conclusion based on facts. "Faith" is a word to keep the illution of truth at place. I KNOW most disagree, since many are religious. Religion has done some good, but in my opinion, it has done far more evil.

• 126 Replies
megarock81
megarock81
112 posts
Nomad

i believe in jesus christ! But religion can really ruin lives a lot! some people will actually kill for religion.

megarock81
megarock81
112 posts
Nomad

jesus is life! i could never not like the person who made me who I am! I love jesus because he died just for our sins! and there is no greater person who would dare do that!

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

Ok, I'm an outspoken atheist, but I don't believe that religion is the root of all evil.

NOTHING is the root of all evil...that's way too much of a blanket statement. I mean, just try to define what is "evil". I have a slight moral relativist skew on certain issues, so maybe it's my perspective. *shrug*

Religion, I believe, has contributed many good things to our society - a fact that cannot really be disputed easily. The question, then, is could those things have been found without religion and all of its negative consequences?

I believe that yes, it could have, but the innate desire in every human being to want something more out of life, want a purpose for their own life, and want to be special would have invented that religion no matter what.

To me, religion may be illogical, irrational, and dangerous, but it is, at its core, the representation of what it is to be human.

Is it evil in and of itself?

No.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Agreed, there is nothing inherent about the nature of religion that makes it either good or evil. Institutions like religion, politics, economics, law, are all amoral. And why wouldn't they be? Religion can't perform an action that can be considered good or bad.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Religion can't, yes. Representations are what matters in the world of humans, though.

theslide
theslide
6 posts
Nomad

I view religion as a tool to do evil. Religious leaders use religion to force their will upon the followers. I don't belive in God, Jesus, Buddah, Allah or any of those. They are FICTIONAL characters. The fact that the story of Jesus was alredy told several times before he was born, proves it for me. Egyptian's was the first.

But if we define evil, it is not possible for one simple definition. For me true evil is lies pulled over peoples eyes to make them easier to control.

But I do not pity religious people, they willfully accept woven truths, becouse they are either afraid to think for themself, fear death, or are just naive.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I have read somewhere that the story of Jesus is very similar to another man in another religion. I can't remember the details though...

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

The way I see it, Jesus might as well of been an actual person. It is just his miracles that seem to be on steroids. He could of just been a very reasonable man with a large heart.

Which is how most religions start. With a real person that had some decent values...which got blown out of proportion.

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

@Devoidless

I don't think you can simply say 'Jesus' was a man with a big heart. He claimed to be God; which I believe leaves us 3-options.

1.) He was a Lunatic, and thought he was really God.

2.) He was a Lair, and choose to deceive people for his own Gain.

3.) He was Lord, and what He said was true.

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

@Asherlee

I know that Caesar claimed a lot of the same message Jesus did. Since Caesar controlled much of the known world @ the time, He (Caesar) would claim to be the author of life, and that he was creating 'Peace on Earth'. He would also refer to Himself as Savior.

Then when Jesus came on the scene saying the same things about himself, He caused quite s stir up; because He was forcing people to choose between two kingdoms. The Kingdom of Caesar or the Kingdom of God.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Which Caesar? But interesting nonetheless.

What I (vaguely) remember on the subject was from a story from long before Jesus. Let me do some research to find out exactly what man I'm speaking of. I only remember reading that his life paralleled Jesus's but centuries before. I'm not exactly saying that the actual man, Jesus, was not really here, but maybe some of his teachings and actions could have been fabricated.

What interests me a lot are the things Christianity took from Paganism and the things they opposed in Paganism and pulled them into Christianity.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Regardless of what he was actually called or when he existed, there was an actual man that the stories were based around.

Just because some holy text says he claimed he was the son of a god does not mean he did. Much like he did not make water into wine and such. All those things make a man something to be worshipped and were added in.

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

What do you define as paganism? and which aspects got incorporated into the teachings of Jesus?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Paganism is a very relative word. Certainly no one would refer to themselves as a pagan. As far as I know, the term was used by the western world to refer to Non-Christians, or at least those who believed in multiple deities.
There are certainly some pagan traditions still held on modern Christian holidays, such as Christmas. The evidence is clear that this day was a holy &quotagan" holiday and the Catholic church absorbed it into their own calendar.
This, of course, happened much later than Jesus, and doesn't really relate to him at all. I'm not sure you could call any of Jesus' teachings &quotagan" since he was Jewish and so would not really have fallen into the &quotagan" category.

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

The Catholic Church adding Christmas to their Calendar (Which could be considered a pagan Holiday) speaks of the Catholic Church and how religion can be corrupt and evil.

Thats why Martin Luther started the reformation; and while many practices of the Catholic Church can be pagan, it does not mean the bible is @ fault or should be discounted.

Showing 16-30 of 126