ForumsSupport Forumname change

15 3393
Randoms
Randoms
87 posts
Nomad

i don't know how many people know this but armorgames used to be called gamesofgondor, anyone know why they changed it?

• 15 Replies
Gigantic
Gigantic
36 posts
Nomad

Yes, I beleive it was Randoms I don't know why they change it you will have to ask a mod or admin about it.

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

I think they were forced to change the name because of copyright.

Anyways I like the name Armor Games better anyways :P.

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Yep. Apparently they were approached with legal action.

I think Carlie talked about it before.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

I came here a few weeks after the change from gamesofgondor to armorgames, back when the layout was totally different, even with the same name. *sigh* I missed the old games...

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

You don't have to make extra posts to try and start a flame war, please.

You don't really want to get in the way of legal action from a huge company like that.

dude1087
dude1087
3 posts
Nomad

i have no idea why they changed their name i just found out about armor games about a year ago

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Tolkein Enterprises is very protective of their copyrights. Gondor was one of the words that they do not allow others to use. So Dan had to change the site name.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Also, there was also a game called Battle for Gondor. I think the site was approached by Tolkein for this too and so they had to stop hsoting it. That was why Prince of War was made, it is the same gameplay, and almost the same graphics as the original Battle for Gondor.

Battle for Gondor was the game that introduced be to GoG...and ArmorGames...and guess what...I'm still here!

KingRyan

seize_the_element
seize_the_element
757 posts
Shepherd

Really? I didn't know that.
Did you ask if you were able to use it?

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

I am not sure what happened, I don't remember the whole thing and I was not as involved with the site back then. You would have to ask Dan about that.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Hmm...Ask Dan...I think you might be best to ask Carlie...He stopped replying in about March!

KingRyan

Generalhero
Generalhero
396 posts
Farmer

the site could have a cooler name though
it would be nice to change it

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I don't think the name will be change from ArmorGames to anything else now...the name has stuck, and the only way I could see a name change is if they are approached by some company called Armor...

A name change would mean a complete renovation of the whole site, plus many of the games they sponsor.

What is wrong with ArmorGames?

KingRyan

purpledinosaur
purpledinosaur
679 posts
Peasant

I thtink that that game was called battle for middle earth I have both of those so yeah

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Erm...No...It wasn't called Battle for Middle Earth. That is a Strategy game based around the LoTR series made by EA Games. The game I was talking about was called Battle for Gondor, and it was a flash game made by ArmorGames!

KingRyan

Showing 1-15 of 15