ForumsSupport ForumBlock Users From Certain Threads

56 6645
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I brought up a point were you could block a user form commenting on your profile.Everyone said that it could decrease spam as well as flaming and all of them are correct. What if we made this......

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r471/JuanAmaro56/Untitled-14.jpg?t=1225747860

But of course of saying "Remove Friend" it would say "Block User From Thread".

What do you think?

• 56 Replies
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Yes, getting blocked by multiple accounts. Makes the spammer more and more lonely don't you think? They would get blocked by multiple threads and multiple accounts, which is just better in my opinion.

Pedspog
Pedspog
151 posts
Farmer

This idea isn't all that great. If you'll take notice, there isn't a lot of spam on the forums. There are people who post 2-5 word posts on a topic (I consider that spam), but those posts do relate to the original topic.

Blocking those 'spammers' benefit no one. They just post a comment and move on. They will never go back onto the same topic more than once. (There are those who post and never take a second look.)

Using this method to stop spam gives too much power to the thread creater. They can block anyone, even if those people have valid comments and/arguements. They could even block everyone and start talking to themselves. which would then be spamming for points.

One last thing. If you'll recall from the last suggestion that I posted on, I asked you to be clear and explain everything about your idea in the first post. From the look of things, your just popping in ideas as you go along.
How will this work? What are/might be some issues with your idea? How will your idea help improve whatever you are trying to improve? What can be done should your idea fail?

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

What you just said is not true.Spammers are banned and come back and spam more.If you think there's not a lot of spam then you're wrong.There's more spam on forums than anywhere else on the site.If you want for me to exp,lain my whole thread i posted in a long time then you should go read it.If people block users for no purpose then tell a mod and they could get you unblocked.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Pedspog has obviously never seen how bad it can be yet. And I guess I should make this much clearer by saying that they should give a moderator given consent for them being blocked from a thread. As for your own profile, be my guest, it's your profile, you should have the right to no spam on your comments page.

Pedspog
Pedspog
151 posts
Farmer

I never said anything about spammers being banned. How am I wrong? I have not seen much spam on the forums. Do you have proof of there being a lot of spam?
Perhaps you should clearly define spam as it seems your definition is different from mine.

Those questions are to help you make your suggestion better. If you can't answer them then your idea will be no good. Thus far, many of those questions remain unanswered. And of course, there are more that I have not posted.

The mods aren't always on which means you'd have to wait until one comes on to post a comment on a specific thread. By the time the mods are on, they'd probably have more requests to be unblocked than they can handle.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Ok i think you need to have a little more time here.I can't show you spam because then i would have to show you tons of threads.The mods don't go on that much but they do go on enough time to solve problems.

What questions i i not answer?You should tell me clearly.

Pedspog
Pedspog
151 posts
Farmer

One example would be good enough. I've browsed through many threads on multiple sections and have not seem much spam.

The mods don't go on that much but they do go on enough time to solve problems.

I suppose that's true, but how many more probelms would they have if this were to be implemented?

What questions i i not answer?You should tell me clearly.

Are you serious? Read my posts again. I'm sure you'll noticed the questions. Maybe you should read things more carefully before posting?
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

He means the ones on the bottom of page 2. For the fact that moderators aren't always on, that can be a problem. As for spam, there's lots of it. People say a reason for a suggestion, and then there's 5 rows of "yes I agree" and "I like that idea", all the way down the page, they don't give a hoot about giving out reasons, that makes users and moderators having a hard time at finding legit reasons to pros and cons of a suggestion, and the spammers are just doing it for a penny AP. I could give you another way to look at this, but it would be darn near complicated, and quite possibly a lot of coding.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I suppose that's true, but how many more problems would they have if this were to be implemented?

You never know until you try.

You said spammers post and they move on.That's not true.The do it over and over again.You need to go through a lot of threads and see.Ask anyone hat has had experience and they would tell you they see a lot.You need to find my answers before telling me that.Yesterday Bob_McBobBob spammed a lot and we wished he would of get banned.Let's say he spams for about 2 times.We could block him to top spamming.Now tell me.How could that not be useful?
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I don't think this would work out because the threads forums are public and should be open to everyone. I understand if they did something bad but just tell a mod if they are bothering you or being rude I am sure they will do something about it and if he/she continues to be like that then just tell a mod again. I know it seems kind of "wimpy"

but banning them from a thread won't work either because they will just do it on another thread and won't learn.

Then they will get blocked form those threads as well.
Pedspog
Pedspog
151 posts
Farmer

You said spammers post and they move on.That's not true

And yet...
...there's 5 rows of "yes I agree" and "I like that idea", all the way down the page, they don't give a hoot about giving out reasons...

How many of these people ever came back and posted another comment?

I saaw what Bob_McBobBob did yesterday. Now tell me, how often does that happen? I've been here for two months and that was the only major spam I've seen.

Juan, first you ask for me to clearly state my questions and now you completely avoid them. I gave several questions and comments that were directed toward you and you have yet to respond.
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Yeah... Oscynk has a point... really, the only thing I feel is needed for blocking users is from your own personal comments page. Now that I think about it, it does seem like a bit much. Forums posting is more out in the open and easy to see than those that are commenting. If we get the option to block users from the profile, it would give moderators more of a chance to patrol the forums instead of users' comments page. Blocking them from thread to thread really doesn't solve anything now that I think about it. All they really need is a firm talking to from a moderator.

ArmorHero
ArmorHero
332 posts
Nomad

Granted this idea were to be passed; Users would have the ability to block others from a thread. Wouldn't this pose obvious problems from the start? Users will be blocked from Topics for pointless reasons! Such as: hate, distrust, or boredomn. Also, wouldn't this give someone the ability to block Mods/Admins and create a whole topic on Spam? That way the Mods/Admins would not be able to do anything, will they? And if your other plan gets passed they could easily block the Admins/Mods from posting on their profile, and this would lead to many bans anyway!

This idea gives too much power to the Users... this site has Mods/Admins for a reason, these ideas will just belittle their exsistence!

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Juan, first you ask for me to clearly state my questions and now you completely avoid them. I gave several questions and comments that were directed toward you and you have yet to respond.

You need to find my answers.

Please do not point out specific users, that's not cool man lol.

Wish granted.

Some don't but some do.If someone is ding it several times then blocking him would help.
Pedspog
Pedspog
151 posts
Farmer

Please do not point out specific users, that's not cool man lol

My apologies.

You need to find my answers.

I've read your comments very carefully. If there had been answers I would not have asked. And again you avoid sevreal more comments.
Showing 16-30 of 56