ForumsSupport ForumBlock Users From Certain Threads

56 6644
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I brought up a point were you could block a user form commenting on your profile.Everyone said that it could decrease spam as well as flaming and all of them are correct. What if we made this......

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r471/JuanAmaro56/Untitled-14.jpg?t=1225747860

But of course of saying "Remove Friend" it would say "Block User From Thread".

What do you think?

• 56 Replies
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Well it would help for that thread, yes, but if he is devoted to spam he will just continue doing it. You have to understand that it won't work, there are to many flaws. I mean ArmorHero points out the obvious read that and it'll get you thinking.

How can it increase spam?I think it will decrease.
ArmorHero
ArmorHero
332 posts
Nomad

Did you see my comment? This would be over if you did!
We are rambling now! This isn't an arguement anymore.
You seem to be avoiding certain comments! I'm sure this won't even follow through like the thousdands of other suggestions that were canned. But it's goog, because this has many flaws (already stated) and if you wish to be stubborn and continue, then I will not stop you. But please, take the critism with open arms! It's help, it lets you know a lot!

So answer these questions:

What good will this bring to AG as a whole?
What are the benefits if blocking users from Topics?
What will happen if this fails? (As Pedspog asked)
What can go wrong with this ability?

ArmorHero
ArmorHero
332 posts
Nomad

goog

Goog? Did I say that! O.0 lol! that's great! :P
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Moderators/Admins will obviously have immunity over blocking, but even so, what ArmorHero has pointed out will be true. If I hate bob, and bob posts on my thread, I can block bob, just because I don't like him. I can also block many other people just out of pure boredom. Oops, here comes a moderator, he might ruin my fun, *block*.

Now comes for my complicated suggestion. If you don't want the person's post to be seen here's my idea that just spouted up. You can click a button next to the flag button and the users' posts simply won't be seen on your screen. You won't have the displeasure of seeing any of his posts on the thread(s) specified (course this also means that his/her posts might be important and worth looking to). If you are curious as to what that user might have posted, you can simply click the unblock button, and you will be able to see the posts as usual. The blocked user will not receive notifications if a specific user has blocked them, and of course, the moderators are immune to being blocked, since 99.9% of their posts are important to read.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

I don't see the point. Most people who spam, like our recent spammer, don't usually last that long in a thread. The most that our recent spammer posted on was the 'Glitches' thread, and he only lasted what? 15 minutes at most? It's not like spammers exist forever and aren't going away. The only way to truly stop them is to ban them or take away their forum rights, this will not help much otherwise.

No, it won't increase Total Spam Amount, it will not decrease it either, it will just increase Total Topics Spammed...

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

What good will this bring to AG as a whole?

This sill decrease spam,flaming and trolling.

What are the benefits if blocking users from Topics?

Be less annoyed and stop you form staring a fight.And yes less spam form that user.

What will happen if this fails? (As Pedspog asked)

We'll never know until we try right? =D

What can go wrong with this ability?

Isn't the same thing as the other question?
I don't know but maybe users could block oters for no reason.I think mods could have the ability to un lock them if they have valid reasons.

And please don't call me stubborn or anything.
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I don't see the point. Most people who spam, like our recent spammer, don't usually last that long in a thread. The most that our recent spammer posted on was the 'Glitches' thread, and he only lasted what? 15 minutes at most? It's not like spammers exist forever and aren't going away. The only way to truly stop them is to ban them or take away their forum rights, this will not help much otherwise.

No, it won't increase Total Spam Amount, it will not decrease it either, it will just increase Total Topics Spammed...

Great you posted before me!!LOLS!!

OK what if you lock that user and their posts will also disapper?
plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

You mine as well do things the way you do now!
ArmorHero
ArmorHero
332 posts
Nomad

And please don't call me stubborn or anything.

I apologize

Their posts from the whole community? Or just from a forum? Or topic?

And when I asked: "What will happen when this fails?" I never asked this: "And what will you do to fix it?"
RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

That would make more sense BUT, I believe Mods can already do that, they can take away Forum Rights, which is just blocking them from everything on the forum...if they can't then they should be able to, seriously, would save some trouble >_>

The only problem with this is then if the spammer is gone from the forums(which in my opinion is better so everyone's not seeing it and yelling/encouraging) and then he'll move into the profiles. Which I guess would be better because the profile-owners have the power to delete comments, so I guess that's better.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Their posts from the whole community? Or just from a forum? Or topic?

Of course topic.

You mine as well do things the way you do now!

I actually had a hard time reading that!JAJAJA!!

If it fails then we'll take it away right!Simple as that.
ArmorHero
ArmorHero
332 posts
Nomad

I guess a trial wouldn't be too damaging! :P

I'm sure it may prove to be useful for awhile, who know though?

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Yes, exactly. If we stress to the users that they have the power to delete any comment that they wish, that would hurt spammers very much. If there is a such thing as revoking posting privileges, then the moderators should do so. They would shift to the profile page, which every user has the power to delete those spam messages (most are just ignorant to figure that out, no offense). As for the game comments, well... that's another story. We COULD do something about it, as I have an idea that might halt such spam in game comments.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Game comments are the hardest here in AG!!
If we pressure the spammers to hard then they'll stop spamming and maybe change right?

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

We COULD do something about it, as I have an idea that might halt such spam in game comments.

Then say it man! We need to make things a little easier for everyone. I mean I'm sure the Mods are going crazy and every time they go to delete a comment they pick up a mallet and smash their click key to do so =O
Showing 31-45 of 56