ForumsWEPRGlobal Warming

933 211419
zombieslayer
zombieslayer
94 posts
Nomad

i dont beleive in global warming because i think that it is so gradual that by the time it is dangerous the next ice age will counter act it

Does any one else have any views or opinions about that?

• 933 Replies
Kurgle
Kurgle
163 posts
Nomad

Ok, It's always been a confusing subject for me. My friend said he did but then most of my other friends said he didn't.

Green12324
Green12324
4,097 posts
Peasant

Global Warming is natural and has been happening for a long time. Al Gore is, like Carlie said, an advocate to help stop it. In no way did he create it, rofl. O.O

Lennywins
Lennywins
130 posts
Nomad

Sorry, he didn't come up with the concept, but it wasn't nearly as well known or discussed until he brought it up and became a major advocate. As for the internet thing, I think it's safe to say he didn't create it. I don't know how it came to be, but boy, am I glad it did.

Kurgle
Kurgle
163 posts
Nomad

One way I think Global Warming isn't really a big deal is because there are these Moose in Norway who's scat produces gas that contributes to Global Warming and so if an animal natural function does that, then why worry?

Lennywins
Lennywins
130 posts
Nomad

It's been blamed on cows too.

Kurgle
Kurgle
163 posts
Nomad

Yeah, what could we even do to stop them? It's ridiculous.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Greenhouse gases are made of a mixture of different gases (CO2, CH4, O3, etc...), and when cows 'fart', they produce CH4. And it does contribute to that mix of greenhouse gases that cause global warming. But the fact is, is that the majority of the greenhouse gases being produced is from industrial processes, and the CO2 that goes along with it.

Yes, cow farts are natural. But the meat processing industry has produced so many cows, beyond what it every was. We have raised more cows, which in turn raises that methane output.

So yes, cows do contribute, but the major factor here is the CO2 produced by us.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Serb, the point of this topic isn't to try to make a difference, it is just a discussion.

Calm yerself boi

WallyOhio
WallyOhio
146 posts
Nomad

not if everybody thinks the way you do! you can't worry about others...recycle, walk more, turn out the lights...because its the right thing to do. you will at least have the satisfaction that you are doing your part. if everyone starts doing it...who knows, maybe we CAN turn this thing around.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

I agree Wally! Every step helps. And maybe one person on their own can't do a lot, but if we all contribute a little, it adds up to a lot!

And on that note, in addition to things you should do, you should also recycle plastic bags! Not only for global warming reasons, but because on windy days they get blown all over the place, and end up in the ocean. Turtles think they look like jellyfish, so they try to eat them We almost lost a couple green sea turtles at the aquarium last year because of it. And more are dying in the wild each day...

So a little off topic, I know. But when you think about recycling to help global warming, think about the turtles too!

izapora
izapora
116 posts
Nomad

agreed, it's a hoax.

Bloody_Wolf
Bloody_Wolf
103 posts
Peasant

Let's switch directions here. It's my belief that global warming IS happening, but it's not being caused by humans at all, and it's nothing to worry about. it's part of the earth's natural heating and cooling cycle. An interesing statistic to think about it that termites as a species produce more greenhouse gases than all the factories and automobiles in the United States. I really think humans have little impact on the global climate. Also, most of what I've heard indicates that the earth was much warmer thousands of years ago than it is now. It was also much more fertile because of the high temperature. I've also heard that we're just coming out of an ice age, so the earth is actually cooler now than it has been for several centuries. Besides, the earth is a self-adjusting system. Even if there gets to be a lot of carbon dioxide in the air, it just means plants will grow faster and produce more oxygen to offset it. Global temperature may fluctuate over centuries, but it will stay around a fixed average value no matter what. Also, let's say the earth heated up quite a bit. That means we could plant crops in formerly frigid areas like Siberia or Greenland. In fact, I think it would do more good than harm. And we still have a long way to go before we even come close to the speculated high temperatures of prehistory. Any way this goes, I'm not worried at all.

ryantheman
ryantheman
56 posts
Nomad

yeah i agree with the dude before me...

PaladinDragonKnight
PaladinDragonKnight
21 posts
Nomad

Yes, I agree also agree that it's a natural thing that's happening, but, recent studies have shown that it's both natural and speeding up. That's because we're emiting a lot more atmospheiric gasses than we were before the Industrial Revolution, and also because of all the Rain Forests that are being cut down for monetary gain.

However, Bloody Wolf, just a raise of the temerature a few degrees extra by our machines and stuff will destroy thousands of tropical aquatic animals (like coral and the fish around them), cause floods and raise the water levels a couple hundred feet in many places, thus effectively killing millions of people.

We can't stop it, everyone (smart) knows that, but we can at least stop speeding it up, and give Earth time to evolve back to a higher overall temperature.

notataco
notataco
189 posts
Nomad

well i think that the past generations screwed up the ecological system so bad that there is no fixing the problem for good. there is just the hope of slowing it down. and we humans are to blame for this disaster because greed and power got us into this position.

Showing 136-150 of 933