ForumsArt, Music, and WritingParagraph Writing Contest!

74 13723
mentorso123
mentorso123
368 posts
Jester

I know that there's a lot of writers here on AG and I wanted to make an original, but not too time consuming contest to help these people shine.
I will choose a theme and anyone can enter. The format will be
2 Paragraphs- as long as you want
They have to relate to the theme.
They can be like the middle of a story, or the beginning. Think of it as a short story, except shorter. Maybe you could think of it as an excerpt from another story.
I will find a moderator to give out a merit, but I will judge. The most interesting, expressive, or original (or maybe even funny) entry will win!

The first theme is:

[/b]Learning to drive!

• 74 Replies
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

This Video will definitely win.(Not mine)

Driver's License

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

"Oh !#$" I said as I accidentally dropped the keys of my moms car.
"Son! I taught you better than to speak like that!" My mom scolded.
"Ok. . .w/e you say mom, and I put the keys into the ignition. With a twist, I was a little startled when I started the car, I guess self-doubt was churning in my belley. I tried to recollect what I had learned from my mother, let's see, parking break, check, set in R, check, lights, check, ok, I think I'm good. Right when I was about to pull out of the driveway, my mom said: "Ah, ah, ah, you forgot to check your mirror!" I thought how stupid I was for not checking the mirror, how could I have known there was a different car or something like that?
So I pulled out of the driveway, and continued down the neighboorhood road at a steady pace of 10 MPS. "Why are you driving so slow?" mom asked. I was pretty nervous, it was the first time I was gonna drive on the freeway, and from what my mom always said driving was a pain in the butt, so I wasn't that eager. "Just a little nervous mom, just a little nervous" with that, I pulled onto the street and crashed.

lol, hooray for ironic ending =P

mentorso123
mentorso123
368 posts
Jester

Very nic *cough cough hack hack*
But funny!
?

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

nic? what does nic mean?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

He had never learned how to frive. To be behind the wheel, driving, was more like instinct than anything else. He never thought about it, he couldn't tell how he did it, once he left the machine. He just started the engine, with or without a key, and raced off, not thinking of the results of the theft.
This time it was a family car, the closest to him at that moment. The paint was scratched up from bumping into other cars and walls under the flight. He smell smoke, but didn't really care.
Tomorrow, he promised. Tomorrow he would learn it. Tomorrow he would start the path to driving legal, not just for them, but for him.
Tomorrow.
He wondered, if there would be a tomorrow after this flight.
The car crashed into the fence of the bridge, the line of safety gave up, the car flew off, down towards the water.
Tomorrow.

mentorso123
mentorso123
368 posts
Jester

That's the beginning of "nice". It was pretty funny!
Cenere, that's impressive.

slliM
slliM
1,463 posts
Nomad

I parked the car and threw up.

This was not one of my greater ideas. You know, getting drunk, stealing the rents car, and then trying to drive to the police station so i could prank them. This was my first time driving, and it didn't help that I was dead drunk. I remember my dad saying that he couldn't have a son that didn't know how to drive.

"Time to try and... hic parralell park...hic." I said to the imaginary person sitting right next to me. As i did what I thought at the time was a parralell park, I hit a cop car.
Yep.
I'm that unlucky.

(this was not taken from my life experiences.)

kris1027
kris1027
506 posts
Nomad

Marta leaned back into the beaded seat cover and looked over at the man sitting next to her.
"So, now I floor it right?" she asked, the corner of her mouth twisting up slightly. The man's head whipped to the left.
"What?" he said indignantly. Marta giggled.
"Its was just a joke Mr. Freeman," she said. The man next to her shook his head.
"Not even close to being funny Marta. Considering you're only fourteen you are very lucky you were even allowed to take drivers ed. If you don't want to take it seriously then you can go home." Marta pouted.
"My father..." she began.
"Is the only reason you're being allowed to take this class," the man interrupted turning Marta's pout in a frown. "Believe me I know how hard it is for you farm families. Which is why I let the kids take this class so young. Please don't make me regret that Marta," he said sighing. He turned to look out the passenger window. Marta looked down close to tears. She hated so desperately being just one of "those poor farm families." This was her first step to becoming something new and she blinked away the tears.
"Okay, Mr. Freeman," she said. Focusing her attention forward she turned the key. The engine turned over with a slight rumble. The driving instructor turned his head to face Marta.
"Are you ready to learn how to drive?" he asked raising his eyebrows. Marta looked him in the eye. If she ever wanted to escape, to get away and be something new and different, then she was going to have to learn how to drive.
"Yes," she said softly, took a deep breath, and pulled out of the parking lot and toward her future.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Cenere, that's impressive.

That is nothing, really. 5 minutes in notepad, and forgot to check for spelling or keyboard mistakes. I have written better.
mentorso123
mentorso123
368 posts
Jester

Cenere, I'd like to see you spend ten minutes!

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Is that a Challenge?

mentorso123
mentorso123
368 posts
Jester

Sure. Remember, there will be one or two merits in this if you win!

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

She wondered why she had said yes to this. She might have the abilities for this, and even the blood, but really... She laughed to herself, more from the stress and fright than from happiness. How silly of her to even consider this. She knew even children could do things like this, she knew that was what the civilization were surviving on. She and her father and trained, he had made her practice until her eyes were sore and her head hurt, until the skin on her palms was red from heat, sweat and constantly clinging to the wheel.
When she was asleep she dreamt about it, when she was awake she was practicing, always to be found the the robot or in the simulation room. Sometimes she even skipped dinner, just to make sure she had learned that new trick, that new way of gliding, running, jumping.
But now it was reality. She was old enough, good enough. Best in her city, at least for her age group, and that had made her proud. Now she was not proud anymore. Now she wished to be an innocent little girl once again, without the knowledge og how to drive those big machines, wishing she was back at learning how she made it walk, or even move.
She wished that she could be back there, and then misbehave, make the others see, she was not worth this seat.
Beside her there were other children and young adults, ready to support the grown ups in the fight.
She didn't want to die! Not now! She wished, wished for it to not be true, to be a lie, a dream, a nightmare.
"So that is your wish. Are you ready to pay the price?"

Not sure about the time with this one. The last line is a referance to Yuuko (xxxholic/TRC), and is therefore (C) CLAMP.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

lol cenere, you gonna crash us all! I got lazy towards the end of mine cuz I was tired, and I just sorta scribbled it up lol.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Nah, I think yours and the other's are great too. I am not sure if any of mine are as they should be to fit the theme, so no reason to not think you will win too.

Showing 1-15 of 74