ForumsSupport ForumQuoting a User.. But How Would You Know?

30 4145
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Quoting a User is one of the finer qualities of AG, but it should go more in depth of that. When you quote someone, it should show the exact user that posted that message. Not really sure if this would be important in the long run, but here goes...

This would eliminate all confusion over the user that posted that message, and eliminate the minor stress over scrolling up and clicking pages to see the user that posted the message.

When this Super-Quote is being used, it would show up like this:

ShintetsuWA Posted:

This would eliminate all confusion over the user that posted that message, and eliminate the minor stress over scrolling up and clicking pages to see the user that posted the message.

It would show up in clear bold to take out some confusion that the user himself would type his/her own name in and eliminate confusion that other users could've posted that same message in terms of copying or in stronger terms, spam. (laughing at his own suggestion)

• 30 Replies
plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

In addition, it should show when it was posted. Not much people actually had a problem with not having "identification" from the post.

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Thats why I always do this

Example:

ShintetsuWA said: Quoting a User is one of the finer qualities of AG, but it should go more in depth of that.

I do this whenever I am quoting, I don't see anyone else do it, but until there is an upgrade to the quoting feature (if there ever is one) you can do what I just did.
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

You mean something like this?

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r471/JuanAmaro56/Untitled-15.jpg?t=1225938036

If yes I go for this idea.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

I would like to this idea a lot, I see people doing it but... I am too lazy. But I like this idea, if you're quoting some one people should see who you are quoting.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

OK idea, but I'm indifferent. If you say you quote someone, but do not use the exact words, then it's considered a paraphrase, not a quote, and besides, I don't think it'll make much of a difference, idiots will be idiots, and the world will keep on turning.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

What if someone writes almost the same thing but a different user?It might help.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

[quote=(username)](The quoted words)

I think it should work.

[quote=juan999999]What if someone writes almost the same thing but a different user?It might help.
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Well, I'm not sure why there's a second ShintetsuWA and a circle, but the rest of the picture is pretty much the gist of what I was getting at. Lol, I always look forward to Wan's picture suggestions, because they usually make more sense when doing so.

Juan999999:What if someone writes almost the same thing but a different user?It might help.

It would definitely help Wan, but I don't see why another user would have something completely similar, considering that is a light form of spam, but this would help in terms of quoting somebody without having users saying "HUH? When did he say that??" in the forums.

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

but this would help in terms of quoting somebody without having users saying "HUH? When did he say that??" in the forums.

Users should be reading the whole topic, just not one post.
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Are you calling me WAN instead of Juan?Classic!

By almost similar i say almost the same idea.
But as i said before time and time again this is definitely a good suggestion.

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Yeah, that is basically what I said about 5 posts up... like i said, we should all do that until there is a quote upgrade, if there is one, it will prevent confusion.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Which sadly, a great number don't, and it makes us look bad. I suggested this idea, solely because a similar situation happened about 3 days ago, and it caused mass confusion in the forum games.

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

Well the forum games are a whole different story, not much people read it. I think you are exaggerating the mass confusion part, it can't cause some much destruction if you quote an unknown message,

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

EDIT to my post... ok so a bunch of people posted while i was typing, the post i was referring to "about 5 posts up" was my post in the toping, and it was a response to what firetail said.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

will it help? yes, but I just don't think it's needed. I sort of conservative, in saying that It's their problem, not AG's.

Showing 1-15 of 30