ForumsSupport ForumAuto-Block Repeated Threads

62 8159
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Don't you hate when people duplicate threads?I personally get annoyed and makes my head explode.

What if when someone makes a thread similar to another using similar words and something like this would come out.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r471/JuanAmaro56/Untitled-17.jpg?t=1226095084

The "Etc." things would be links to those threads.

What do you think?

• 62 Replies
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Auto-Blocking Repeated Threads would probably help out the mods so much it's ridiculous. Sounds like a good idea but I have no idea how they'd get it to work because they couldn't do it by name because they usually have different names even if they are about the same thing.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I have seen a lot of threads with the same name-a lot! Imagine how much threads won't be duplicated! WOW!

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Yeah... the thread name would have to be specific for the auto block to work though. Lemme tell you, users are highly unspecific nowadays. A thread name with the opposite topic.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Then we'll just have to report it right? I've seen little topics like that. And if we had a FLAG TOPIC option then flagging it can block it automatically

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

There is one huge flaw with this idea, two threads can have similar titles yet be about two very different things. For example... lets say we have two threads. They are called the following:

*New Ranks!*
*Idea for new ranks!*

Oh boy, two posts about the same repeated idea... or are they?

*New Ranks!*
We need more ranks like assassin and hobo!

*Idea for new ranks!*
Each time you hit a new rank, you should see a new shield or something next to your armatar were it says "Control Panel" and "Logout" to let you know that you hit a new rank.

Though both titles do give an idea of what the thread is about, the only way to know if its a repeated idea is if you actually read it.

Now many people complain about topics being repeated over and over. Yes, it can be a pain to see repeated topics but you have to figure that the person who made the topic probally wasn't around the last time the idea was suggested.

The best thing to do is give your opinion about the idea, politely explain that it has been suggested before and if you can... the outcome of the thread (did people agree? did the mods shoot the idea down?). Just don't stress too much about their idea being repeated. Sometimes I see people freaking out "OMG, this idea has been repeated so many times before its not funny. This will get locked." That really solves nothing, it only makes the user feel stupid and uncomfortable around the forums. We don't want these forums to be like the ones in NewGrounds, we actually want people to feel like respected human beings here.

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

Erm.... Its actually just like NoName said.

Btw, nice pic you made Juan!

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r471/JuanAmaro56/Untitled-17.jpg?t=1226095084

Sodas
Sodas
313 posts
Nomad

I like the idea that Juan made it could be really helpful.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Man NoName got a big point. But what if they are the ones like "How do you get merits" or "Hi I'm new"? Those need to stop.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Maybe make it so that the title needs to be something else. So if you try to post a 'New ranks' thread, it will provide you with a link to other threads with that title, ask you to check if any of them are about what you were saying, and if not, to rename your thread to something more specific.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

That's exactly like my picture no?

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

Man NoName got a big point. But what if they are the ones like "How do you get merits" or "Hi I'm new"? Those need to stop.

If you haven't noticed you can't stop that....

Most people are suggesting a recommendation list of topics....
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Most people are suggesting a recommendation list of topics....

Recommendation? You mean similar topics put together?
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

That's exactly like my picture no?
Pretty much. I guess that means I agree with your idea. It shouldn't be so that the typed in text gets deleted, though. If it wasn't a duplicate~
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Even bringing up a list of similar threads would quickly become a hastle. Lets face it, even the new ideas relate to the same things as the old ones.

If someone does make a truly original idea that pertains to armatars, then they will see that list of "related threads" and they will think that their idea has been done before (when simply it hasn't, the word "armatar" just triggered the search results).

Alright, lets use my example threads from earlier on. Lets say that the following idea has never been suggested before and I try to post it:

*Idea for new ranks!*
Each time you hit a new rank, you should see a new shield or something next to your armatar were it says "Control Panel" and "Logout" to let you know that you hit a new rank.

Are you sure you want to create this thread? Please make sure you look for duplicated threads before posting.

*New Ranks!*
*Add more ranks*
*RANKZORZ!*
*Do you think we need new ranks?*
*Idea for ranks*
*idea for new ranks*
*Rank idea*
*Get rid of ranks?*
*my rank is gold?!?!*
*ranks*
*Rank RaNk NKar RANK!*
*Hi, I like to make really long titles and I am ranked gold prince!*

You will most likely see this happen no matter what you title your thread... and nobody wants to go through that every time they make a post do they?

The person who wanted to post his thread will look at the long list and will undoubtedly neglect to go through every single one. Not to mention that if he clicked one of the links he could very well lose what he wrote (though I guess there would be a pop up window?).

Duplicated threads are most annoying when people make a big deal out of them.

The best thing to do is what I explained before, politely explain that the thread idea was suggested before and your own opinions about it and possibly the outcome of the idea from the original thread. Then let it die, a duplicated thread should only be reported if there are a bunch of them on the front page or if people keep bumping it back up. Otherwise it is almost always best to ignore it.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Duplicated threads are most annoying when people make a big deal out of them.
Oh so very true.

Still, maybe make it so only threads titled the exact same thing shows up - this doesn't prevent duplicates, but it makes it easier for people to see the difference between threads (I saw two threads right after each other with the exact same title)... I dunno.

NoName, I feel the urge to compliment your moderation skills. Good job on those posts.
Showing 46-60 of 62