ForumsSupport ForumAuto-Block Repeated Threads

62 8158
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Don't you hate when people duplicate threads?I personally get annoyed and makes my head explode.

What if when someone makes a thread similar to another using similar words and something like this would come out.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r471/JuanAmaro56/Untitled-17.jpg?t=1226095084

The "Etc." things would be links to those threads.

What do you think?

• 62 Replies
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Blocking is not equal to locking.

I meant to say block.
raddude62896
raddude62896
12 posts
Nomad

how do u ask on profiles???

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

Firetail just thought of a great compromise idea. *throws away original idea*

I found a flaw with firetail's idea. How would the threads be listed from? Keyword? That would just be like the old community search. You'll get a lot of junk topics that have nothing to do with anything,

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

Check your profile, I posted a comment. Reply back on my profile.
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Go to newcomers forum,and ask question there please.

Then how do you suggest it?
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

*shrugs*

It was all I could come up with.
Although the code would still be pretty hard...

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Yes and that's the main problem that i hope can be fixed.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Maybe it can just be:

This topic has already been created:

(links)

Do you still wish to make your thread?

Yes?
No?

I mean, if it was similar, it would probably ban all club threads.

This can work. It would probably be a tedious task for shpigford, but it would be highly beneficial. As for this problem with the words, it would have to be THREAD NAME ONLY! I'm POSITIVE that there can be a code that would have that happen. With this, some users would think it's funny by posting a thread name, but have an irrelevant topic, which we can simply ask a moderator and they could promptly lock/delete it.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

THREAD NAME ONLY! I'm POSITIVE

Well, what if your title was "We need new armatars!", and there were lots that were titled "armatars" or "new armatars". As long as it includes just one of the words.
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Well, what if your title was "We need new armatars!", and there were lots that were titled "armatars" or "new armatars". As long as it includes just one of the words.

Well obviously the three topics would be about armatars, so the new thread wouldn't be needed. If they were all discussing the same topic, then there would be another unnecessary thread to deal with.
plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

code

I hate that word now 0:0

I agree with Shintetsu's idea of yes/no if yo uwant to create the topic.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Shin, how can you manage to find so many ways to block spam?

What I'm saying is, I'd like to have shin's message. It would help a bit.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,611 posts
Jester

This is quite a good idea I must say it would be good because I HATE duplicate threads, it doesn't kill you to search for a thread.

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

This can work. It would probably be a tedious task for shpigford, but it would be highly beneficial. As for this problem with the words, it would have to be THREAD NAME ONLY! I'm POSITIVE that there can be a code that would have that happen. With this, some users would think it's funny by posting a thread name, but have an irrelevant topic, which we can simply ask a moderator and they could promptly lock/delete it.

Shin -- your idea... your idea has been implemented already! Has anyone ever used Yahoo! Answers? Well, long story short, when you post a question Yahoo! Answers does a search for very similar sounding questions. Although, the system isn't perfect, it still works very well and can prevent users from posting similar questions (even though there are a bunch of "Is my penis long enough?" questions still around >.&gt
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Wait a sec..It has?? *facepalm* That's right lol... Well, that idea needs to be much more durable than it already is! That's the reason why I don't use it, because I don't find it any useful right now, but if it was stronger, I would use it frequently.

Showing 31-45 of 62