ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60071
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
nonconformist
nonconformist
1,101 posts
Nomad

Um shine.. actually most ppl with drugs dont have weapons. Its there drug dealers who do. The drug dealers are smart, and most of them actually dont do drugs themselves. They just make alot of money off of it. The dealers have weapons to scare the people who owe them money. Movies have created a beleif that if your into drugs who have weapons... Well i must admit most have pocket knives, but as long as their under 2 inches long its ok for you to have it concealed. If its over 2 inches long and your hiding it, you can get charged or sent to jail. Don't beleive me you can look that up. lol. Little thing that caught my attention when i found that out.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

When you guys go to school you are on public school property so you are subject to follow the rules set by the school whether you like them or not. If a school's safety is improved by placing cameras, and checking lockers I completely agree with it. If you kids have something to hide or are afraid might be found, don't bring it. School isnt a place to be making out in a hallways or stashing your drugs from your parents. Seriously, be a little more mature, and respect the education that you are getting.If you don't take advantage of it, the next chance you will get (when you are older, and regretting the messing around you did in highschool) is adult school, which you will have to pay for. I say take things that come free to you, and be happy for them.

nonconformist: the knife laws are for the public. Different rules apply when you are on school property. No drugs and no weapons. It doesn't matter whether they do or don't carry weapons. Either way they are wasting their time.

jonnypants23
jonnypants23
1,353 posts
Farmer

Superb post Flipski!

blackrain903
blackrain903
17 posts
Nomad

I agree with Flipski 100%. If you go to a school, public or private, they have the right to search anything they want to. Technically, when you are there, you are under there supervision and it is there responsibility to take care of you. So, if you have a problem with it, you need to go talk to your schools dean or whatever you have.

If your in private schools, it's even worse if you dont think it's right. Because your parents pay cash money for you to go there and receive an education so that you may do well in life. I know alot of you are like, "Well, it;s none of their business!" If you think that....Just let me smack you upside your head! o.O They have the complete right to search anything they want to when you are under their watch. The only acception i think should be made is girls purses.

I could go on forever about this, but thats all ill say for now until something else catches my eye.

~blackrain903~

Donpatch88
Donpatch88
12 posts
Nomad

only if they smell any drugs should they be able to check it. Lol

Seroph
Seroph
54 posts
Scribe

Another thing to keep in mind is that they are not searching "your" locker at all. If you go to a public school you are allowed to use the school's lockers. School lockers are the schools property that you are simply using. They're simply searching what is already theirs.

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

Ah,our privacy is taken away by the man in another way..yet again...man,we sign papers..on those papers does it say we give our consent to let our lockers get searched?

ParalysisTerror
ParalysisTerror
793 posts
Nomad

When you guys go to school you are on public school property so you are subject to follow the rules set by the school whether you like them or not. If a school's safety is improved by placing cameras, and checking lockers I completely agree with it. If you kids have something to hide or are afraid might be found, don't bring it. School isnt a place to be making out in a hallways or stashing your drugs from your parents. Seriously, be a little more mature, and respect the education that you are getting.If you don't take advantage of it, the next chance you will get (when you are older, and regretting the messing around you did in highschool) is adult school, which you will have to pay for. I say take things that come free to you, and be happy for them.

nonconformist: the knife laws are for the public. Different rules apply when you are on school property. No drugs and no weapons. It doesn't matter whether they do or don't carry weapons. Either way they are wasting their time.

*clap clap* that was excellent, and you're absolutely right about everything that you said.
blackrain903
blackrain903
17 posts
Nomad

Thank you

nonconformist
nonconformist
1,101 posts
Nomad

blackrain u totally contradicted yourself. Lockers can be, and are as personal as purses... But i agree they should have the right to check your lockers as long as they have had proper evidence that those kids are indeed doing drugs, hiding weapons, hiding drugs, w/e... But to just go down the hall snooping through everyones locker.. thats going to far. I personally like to keep private information, valuables (cell phones get taken away if they ring.. so i sumtimes leave it in there) which has personal information and pictures of poeple on there. My ipod, and sometimes quite alot of money. That money can either be checks I got in the mail while i wa headed to school, or just checks to certain teachers. Constant checks for "drugs" just create a nussence for me and allows for a greater chance of my stuff being stolen.
Why just today i had my locker checked.. The reason i knew was cuz my hoodie which was hung up by hood was now thrown into the bottom corner. Normally that would make me think it just fell, but my locker lock was undone. My locker lock is a key, and only me the principal and t.a have the combo. The disrespect I got by leaving my locker open to anyone, and having my hoodie thrown aside, just pisses me off. Our teachers aren't even allowed to do locker checks because of the law suit they had before...

*clap clap* that was excellent, and you're absolutely right about everything that you said.

I agree with Flipski 100%.

Superb post Flipski!

wow there are alot of brown nosers on this website... And many ppl consider that spam by just saying that: what a fantastic post Flipski.... It was indeed quite a good comment, but at least add your own stuff after.

Ah,our privacy is taken away by the man in another way..yet again...man,we sign papers..on those papers does it say we give our consent to let our lockers get searched?

Ah yes, we agree about sumthin now. So true.

Flipski, i was just talking about the weapons fact that shine brought up. I'm sry, but those laws apply anywhere. Just because it's in a school heaven forbid the law should be broken. It withstands there too. A concealed weapon also means hidding in your locker. And i beleive weapons in school should be enough to send a person to jail.... I was just trying to say sumthing before about who and who doesn't have em. anyways nvm.....
nonconformist
nonconformist
1,101 posts
Nomad

sry bout the dbl post!!! word mistake that should get cleared up.

My locker lock is a key, and only me the principal and t.a have the combo

combo should be key... my bad.
ximthevest
ximthevest
1 posts
Nomad

it is right to becuse it is for safty

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

YA I completely agree that there is a limit to being allowed to checking lockers. They need evidence before they go snooping. It would be very disrespectful for an adult, any time of day, to walk up and start going through your stuff.

Okay, thanks for clarifying about the weapons.

jonnypants23
jonnypants23
1,353 posts
Farmer

only if they smell any drugs should they be able to check it. Lol

Hmmm oky this statment has benn proved wrong by me,blackrain,and flipski.Please if you are going to post a thing like that , please prove your point.

O yes and to smell the drugs you would probily have to check inside the locker not folower the kid around and smell him all day.
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

I think they should be able to search the locker but not in bags, books, or binders. The locker is property of the school. If you happen to have drugs or a weapon right in sight, then they should be able to give you consequences. Your backpack and other belongings are yours so they should not be able to search them without reasonable cause. I don't mind locker searches. I have nothing to hide and I keep track of all my belongings.

Showing 61-75 of 273