ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60304
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
FutureUSMC
FutureUSMC
270 posts
Nomad

I would be in biiig trouble. o_o

uh oh lol what goodies are you keeping under the radar.
TROJANS
TROJANS
372 posts
Nomad

heheh thats the same type of question i asked him.
maybe a book lol
thats the most dangerous thing ever

FutureUSMC
FutureUSMC
270 posts
Nomad

maybe a book lol
thats the most dangerous thing ever

Awe dude don't even mention that. you can get arrested just for talking about........ *looks around to make sure no one is around* books......
TROJANS
TROJANS
372 posts
Nomad

hahaha*hears a siren of the police*run fast move heheh

FutureUSMC
FutureUSMC
270 posts
Nomad

YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE COPPERS!

lol

Gametesta
Gametesta
1,707 posts
Nomad

well in my school they are at random(the searches). Stupid kids who do drugs have never been caught at my school so it has not been an issue at my school yet.

AowDevil
AowDevil
16 posts
Nomad

I think they should be allowed to search lockers.

First of all its not really your locker, your just borrowing it. The school has the right to take your locker at any time if you like it or not. It is a schools job to care for their students and that's exactly what their doing, they're only searching for drugs, guns and dangerous things. We should also be able to trust our teachers to not abuse this power.

This is a huge problem, these are stats for every day.

100,000 bring guns to school

160,000 students skip class because they fear physical harm

40 students are hurt or killed by firearms

6,250 teachers are threatened with bodily injury

260 teachers are physically assaulted

Credits

[url=http://www.idebate.org/debatabase/topic_details.php?topicID=447]

knk2765
knk2765
63 posts
Nomad

i think it is right that they do it but not always fair

afroninja1723
afroninja1723
575 posts
Nomad

this happens so much in my school but for stupid reasons. There was only one time when they actually found drugs out of 30-40 other times.

For example they searched my locker about 4 or 5 times because they said i had been selling energy drinks/soda to kids. Their evidence was that they saw other students having they same soda as me. I mean if they thought i had drugs or weapons i would understand but this is just ridiculous.

Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

I dont really want someone searching my locker....but then again i live in a hick town where everyone carries knives on em even at school so im not that surprised if my school doesnt search lockers

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

My stance on this matter is that if they have probable cause, then yes, but a school should have to jump through as many hoops as anyone else to get a warrant. As for blanket searchs, I'd press criminal charges.

First of all its not really your locker, your just borrowing it. The school has the right to take your locker at any time if you like it or not.
A landlord can't search an apartment when ever he wants, nor can he take the property at any time. The school should need a warrant to search a locker, like any other 'borrowed' property.

For example they searched my locker about 4 or 5 times because they said i had been selling energy drinks/soda to kids. Their evidence was that they saw other students having they same soda as me.
I say sue em', but that's just me.
They just made us carry around our heavy books, whether it was breaking our backs or not.
And don't forget - it was an uphill walk to class. Both ways.
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

A landlord can't search an apartment when ever he wants, nor can he take the property at any time.

Yes, but the apartment isn't owned by the government. It's officially private property as soon as you sign the lease.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The school has a right, only if there have been cases of mishap, like someone is smuggling pot or knifes/guns illegal stuff. They can't do it based on suspiscion.

17dman
17dman
786 posts
Peasant

if they have good evidence i suppose

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Yes, but the apartment isn't owned by the government. It's officially private property as soon as you sign the lease.
But the stuff in the locker is yours, so...
Showing 106-120 of 273