ForumsSupport ForumUnnecessarily Censored words

37 5767
ArmorHero
ArmorHero
332 posts
Nomad

Gladiatus g-l-a-d-i-a-t-u-s

Outward o-u-t-w-a-r-d

If they show, I'm sorry... they were blocked elsewhere.

Why are they blocked!?

• 37 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Uh! Uh!
Fifteen!
The one fst6 just posted, and the word that I think most people have written without knowing it would be censored... Rape (r a p e). A lot of people have written that word in serious posts in the World Events, Politics, Religion forum (like in the abortion thread), and it gets censored out... I know it can be used as a threat and such, but I wouldn't mind seeing that particular censor go...
Especially since 'raped' usually does not get censored...

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

We should stop this thread lol, it's getting ugly in all kinds of ways... Let's just keep it at swear words and advertising sites.. >__<

Generalhero
Generalhero
396 posts
Farmer

yeah shintetsu is right
it is useless

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

We should stop this thread lol, it's getting ugly in all kinds of ways... Let's just keep it at swear words and advertising sites.. >__<
It's all my fault, sorry about that. Really. I apologize.

But not just cussing and advertising, also link spamming (it's related to advertising, but not quite the same).
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Yeah, as long as you know what defines a censored word here, you can come up with at least 30.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Actually there are plenty that aren't censored though they would qualify just fine...
I could tell you a few, but I won't risk getting banned more than I already have with that cuss-filled post...

Still stuck at 15, but I'll start keeping a list now...

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Because it's an advertisement, people use it all the time to lure people into a crappy game. We went over it in all three pages... >_>

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

m-y-m-i-n-i-c-i-t-y is as well. They were spammed when I first joined, so they were censored. That must be the case for the others.

GuitarGodGamer7
GuitarGodGamer7
25 posts
Nomad

I agree w\\ firetail.

P.S. Can I be you'r friend.....PLEASE!!!!????!!!!???

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Still stuck at 15, but I'll start keeping a list now...

I hope nobody starts advertising a website like crazy just for the fun of it...

P.S. Can I be you'r friend.....PLEASE!!!!????!!!!???

I explained on your profile.
dark_emperer
dark_emperer
14 posts
Nomad

Swear words shouldn't be banned ¬ ¬

Swear words are often used as an adverb, and only twice in my life have I seen a post that swore to offend another member. Swear words are profane, yes, but publically allowed. If you are to swear infront of a police officer, they are already previously used to it. And will not do anything as to "censor" you.

And, the only times swears are used in the wrong fashion (insulting someone, calling a new member something profane as a "joke&quot are times where the MEMBER itself should be banned. If you are to censor all words, then you will never know exactly what the member meant, and could be banning someone who accidentally said a site he/she came from that was 4, or 5 letters long.

Such as 4chan, if it is not blocked (4 chan, that infamous site) if someone were to reference they were a /b/tard, and it was blocked, then they could be taken another way and seem as though they're excessively swearing. Which most people don't do. And in the cases they do, it's meant as an adverb or something funny, usually not insulting.

Basically, don't censor anything. Nothing requires to be censored that cannot be dealt with by simply banning the member.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Swear words are censored because there are young people here, there are young people around those young people, and the parents of those young people will not allow that young person to stay on AG, because those swear words weren't censored.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

and the parents of those young people will not allow that young person to stay on AG

And then some could go as far as to sue AG, and with the way people sue these days, they'd run AG out of their office and into the sewers.
*cough*CAUTION: HOT*cough*

Not only that, I don't see why you really have to use most swear words as an adverb. They usually don't need to be in a sentence unless you want to really EMPHASIZE your point or whatever, at least I've never heard anyone use them 'civilly' for any other reason. If you really have to use it, there are ways to get around censoring, as spammers have shown us.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

I actually used to swear a lot (not that much, but still often) before I came on AG. It has really improved my use of language to be here, since I've needed to find better solutions on how to emphasize things. The people I live with are very happy with my more rare use of the f-word.

I do miss d@mn, though. But dang is an okay replacement... And sometimes there are things on here where I want to put more of an emphasize to things, but I'd probably end up sounding like a jerk if I did, so hurray for the filter.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

They usually don't need to be in a sentence unless you want to really EMPHASIZE your point or whatever, at least I've never heard anyone use them 'civilly' for any other reason

If you mean Emphasize as arguing your point ignorantly, then yes. That's what swearing is for. That's why there is no excessive swearing in the World Events forum, because their point would just get shot down and ignored.
Showing 16-30 of 37